World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Boss Accurate 665 if the money allows. It's the absolute mutz nutz.

Alternatively and at sensible money the Torium 30 is very nice.

If the rod is for major heavy stuff (?) then look at a Penn Formula 15Kg 2 speed.
It would suit a rod like that and winch in the Queen Mary with it.

G

·
Penn 320 or a 330 if you need the larger line capacity. They are very rugged reels with the benefit of a lever drag.

G

·
Penn 320 or a 330 if you need the larger line capacity. They are very rugged reels with the benefit of a lever drag.
That's a beast of a rod Terry, do you think a little 330 will balance it properly?
Hence my comment on the Formula 15Kg as opposed to my first sensible suggestion of the Torium 30 which willbe dwarfed on a broomstick.

G

·
I have a Penn 50lb rod that I rarely use these days but have the Penn 330 on that that and have had no problems.

G

·
I have a Penn 50lb rod that I rarely use these days but have the Penn 330 on that that and have had no problems.
OK, I am not used to this big stuff anymore so find it hard to visualise.

What do you use the 50 for?
....A back up winch post and winch for the trailer?

....Only joking! :kissing:

G

·
OK, I am not used to this big stuff anymore so find it hard to visualise.

What do you use the 50 for?
....A back up winch post and winch for the trailer?

....Only joking! :kissing:
Only for congering for the really big ones Tom. I have had an 80 and an 85 on it and was glad I was not using anything lighter.

G

·
Only for congering for the really big ones Tom. I have had an 80 and an 85 on it and was glad I was not using anything lighter.
...you would have taken it on 20lb class Terry.
It would have hung on hard for a while and dived three times more than it did on 50 but you would have got it in the end.

We have a reef mark that seems to throw up a suprising number of good eels (average about 60lb last year) with the best weighed at 86lb to my mate Chris, however we have taken many others as big or bigger unweighed on 20lb class.

Somewhere we even have a picture of some realy good eels being caught for a laugh on a 3 foot kids spinning rod and a Shakespear "President" reel.

It is only the first 5 minutes that a Conger "appears" to have the upper hand, after that first tug of war it is pretty much just heave ho to the surface followed by a couple of crash dives when it sees the bottom of the boat.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i want it for big conger and heavy wrecking we can realy strugle at times with 20/30
iv been using a okuma titus gold 2 spee5 50 that i use for big sharks but dont need the capasaty with wrecking got penn320ld but not realy balanced with 30/50

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
look at the avet thread, they do a reel that would suit, supplied by rokmax,
the sx would be much too small but they do bigger!

·
Registered
267 Posts
i want it for big conger and heavy wrecking we can realy strugle at times with 20/30
iv been using a okuma titus gold 2 spee5 50 that i use for big sharks but dont need the capasaty with wrecking got penn320ld but not realy balanced with 30/50
With a Titus Gold 50, I'm surprised you didn't consider a Titus Gold 20 or 30 - The Titus Golds are my favorite reel; it's hard to beat their performance and value for money. Even a TG15L will hold 330 yards of 30lb mono line - 40lb if you use a low diameter mono.

G

·
look at the avet thread, they do a reel that would suit, supplied by rokmax,
the sx would be much too small but they do bigger!
The Avet SX has 9lb drag at it's out of the box setting.
This is easily enough for any Conger you are going to encounter.
The reel is the size of a dinky toy, but immensley powerful. I have loaded 700yards of 20lb braid on mine and will be using it for light Big Game fishing...
Blue Shark, possibly Porgies, the smaller Billfish etc etc.

I have just reviewed the SX in the "User Reviews" forum and the only thing it isn't ideal at is drifting a wreck while "gilling" and that is purely becuase of the medium slow retrieve caused by the little spool.

It is tiny and will look daft on a 30/50 though.

Still can't get my head round why anyone uses gear like that for Conger?
30lb max and that is purely when the tide is running and a heavy lead is needed.

Oh well, each to their own, but skull dragging doesn't soudn like fun to me...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we have a lot of tide running and very big fish i like to use mono for my conger fishing i find 20/30 too soft in tip so im using my 30/50 which i use for porgies think on its 30 in tip and through action wich is spot on for them 80lb+ fish in deep water when got to be lifted out of the wreck

·
Registered
218 Posts
I really like the Avets as well. As Tom says, they're great little reels and although not the cheapest, you do pay for what you get. Just bought an MXL which I'm going to try on billfish, tuna etc in Mexico this year. Might be worth a look? I've got 300m of 30lb fireline, plus a topshot of about 200yd of 20lb mono on it. Certainly enough for wrecking in the UK!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a beast of a rod Terry, do you think a little 330 will balance it properly?
Hence my comment on the Formula 15Kg as opposed to my first sensible suggestion of the Torium 30 which willbe dwarfed on a broomstick.
im using it on a penn tide cutter whch is mainly a braid rod but good with mono still its a slim rod like the waveblaster

1 - 19 of 19 Posts