World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at getting a new rod and initially was going to go for a century Excalibur c curve.
But now I have heard nothing but good things about the t-900. The only thing that puts me off is the length as I am only 5'6
This then makes me think a t-800 would be better but now I am unsure if it would be up to smashing out a 6oz lead and whole squid in a rough sea.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm 5'7" and have a T-900 - you'll be fine. It's a magic rod, a T-800 might be a bit light. I was also considering a T-800 but definitely made the right choice by going for a T-900 in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the help, I usually cast reel down with a multiplier. My only othernworry is that having a glass tip may make it soft in the tip and therefore not as much feedback on the position of the lead when casting?

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you want a rod that won't beat you up try an Evolution CT, The match pro and M4 gt would also make great rods

Reactions: slparsons and vmax1
B

·
0 Posts
When casting you'll need to hit it slightly later than you would with an all carbon tip. It takes most people a few casts to adjust.

I have both rods, I may be on Chesil this week one evening (weather dependant) if you wanted a cast on each.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I use a t900 and was suprised when i used an t800 . . The t800 will cast an 6oz easy with no struggle . Both are user friendly .

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
IMHO both great rods and agree with Mark's comment above - but personally feel the T900 is best with 6ozs and the T800 best with 5ozs.

So if you're limited to only one my choice would be T900, as that would be better with 5ozs than the T800 with 6ozs....if you see what I mean?

But always best to try one before you make your mind up:)

Musky

·
Registered
200 Posts
Im only 5 foot 6 i fish reel down with a pair of 900's and there fine. Handles everything in the bristol channel from 3 hook match fishing for pout/whiting to 7oz and half a mackeral for congers on the rough. I found it strange at first because the tip is so light but once you get into the butt of the rod it really is powerful.

IMG_0716.PNG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Firstly thanks everyone for your excellent advice and thanks for the offer of trying one out!

Just to throw another spanner in the works.. I learnt to cast on a penn inxs2 long range and although outdated I love the rod. What modern equivalents are there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Would say the imax fr match, lightweight well balanced priced around the £120.00 mark, food for thought.
Firstly thanks everyone for your excellent advice and thanks for the offer of trying one out!

Just to throw another spanner in the works.. I learnt to cast on a penn inxs2 long range and although outdated I love the rod. What modern equivalents are there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Anything over 14ft is just no good for me I'm 6ft 2 and did not get on with the t900 by the end of the night was like a arms session down the gym.

Rich

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm only 5ft 7" and have got a Zziplex primo syncro, and it's perfect for Chesil. It's not too stiff nor too soft, it's just right. It will easily handle a 6oz lead and a whole squid! Ps I'm in Devon too, so you're welcome to come have a cast of mine.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have a penn inxs2 long range was my dads so,I have kept it it's quite a soft rod by today's standards but also very light
I would say from the current zziplex range m4 hiflex match or evolution gt or older range 4500hpm,4500s worth a shout and t zero great rods if you can dig one or two ou from somewhere

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Would think an HSM would be ok for Chesil, another suggestion to consider !
Having also owned a HSM, I prefer the primo syncro over the HSM. The HSM is too soft in the tip for my liking. I prefer the slightly stiffer tip on the syncro for pulling through snags ect, but the HSM will also easily handle 6oz plus a whole squid.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had both as well ! opted for the HSM's instead !! similar route different outcome ! shows how different peoples tastes are !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts