World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am looking for some help. I currently have a 13' stspm rod that i love, however i am looking to get a second beachcaster that is slightly lighter. I was wondering if anyone could recommened anything? Would consider new and second hand.

Most of the fishing i do is on the beaches around portsmouth and gosport areas

Regards

Peter

·
Registered
390 Posts
I also fish the Gosport/Portsmouth area...

I use 2 Daiwa TDPKs (12 & 13'), mainly due the need to throw 5oz grip leads most of the time.

Though I also use a Daiwa Superbass that throws 2-3oz, and a lighter carp rod for the estuaries. I dont know how the weights of the STS and TDPK compare, I'd imagine they are similar. For general beach work down here (where there's a decent tide flow) I'm not sure you'd get away with much lighter, though a lighter bass rod certainly has its uses on certain beaches where the tide flow is not so aggressive.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I assume you mean a rod that weighs less. I like the greys supro a lot. That clocks in at 780 grms on the scales less the reducer. Casting weight is 5ozs and it comes in a bag that's better than any other I've ever come across.
Some say it's slightly overpowered with 5ozs and a full blooded pendulum cast but who does that when they are fishing? There's a lifetime guarantee on the sections too.
The tip isn't red etc or have reflective tape so I wonder if they intend it for hand held use as well as on a tripod. I went in that direction because I wanted a lighter rod. I doubt if you would be disappointed. You might like to try tony's tackle especially if you want another reel too.

I should add that I gave one a sever muscle trembling bending against the floor before I bought it. Since then I've bought another.

You will probably find the tip a little less sensitive than your daiwa but there's no problem even with small fish. Most daiwa rods are a bit over the top in that respect.

John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have the beach and it casts and fishes well but I wouldn't describe it as a light rod or a heavy one either. Medium weight is how I would put it, strong and well designed. Crap bag compared with the supro though.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts