World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As reported, I recently had a good couple of bass with a lure on a cheap telescopic at Goatee.
After dropping my wife to hospital for knee operation yesterday, I decided to treat myself to a spinning rod and bought a Shakespeare ugly stick GX2, 9 ft.
Took it to a new mark (well last fished it in the late 1970's!) for me on Southampton water. I paired it with a small Shakespeare reel I already have. Lure as shown in the picture is a mepps type with the treble cut off and a short snood with size 1 hook in its place, which was baited with left over rag from my Southbourne trip on Wednesday.
I followed steps in the mud to the mark and met a guy there. Asked how it was going and he said nothing for an hour and he was off. Said I was there trying my new rod for the first time and cast it out. The rod felt nice and balanced and light and put the lure out a decent distance. Slow retrieve and had a couple of takes which I missed in the excitement! Cast again and had a good take and a rewarding run, resulting in my first fish on the new rod, the bass in the picture.
20181005_213709.jpg

Not a monster I know, but I am loving the feel and excitement on this lighter gear compared to my usual beach casters, especially with the size of the fish being caught. This was followed pretty much as a fish per Chuck. My new fishing buddy put his rod back together and we fished and chatted. He was using a soft lure which my baited spinner out fished massively. I must have had 30 plus fish before hooking into something a bit different. Thought it was a better bass until it started running side to side. Interesting! I recognised the run and when landed it was a gilt head. The gold colour does not show well in the picture, but it was a real pretty fish and a new species for me. Again not a monster, but a very spirited fish on this lighter gear.

20181005_212959.jpg

We fished on and I was able to try different speeds on return and holding the rod at different heights. I found that lifting the rod and letting the lure stall and wind again resulted in bigger fish and smaller fish the closer in the lure was. Towards the end of the session I was pulling the lure pretty much across the surface which resulted in heavier bites, but a reduced hooking rate.
My phone went. The wife! " I am out of theatre if you want to come and see me". I let the lure settle, but it had a take and was pulling the rod so I was playing another fish while juggling the phone! Said I was coming.
Put the tail of the previous worm on and told my new buddy I was going after this cast. Perfect end to the session with another spirited run and another gilt head bream.

20181005_183102.jpg

We left the beach just in time as we were getting cut off by the tide and just as the twilight was starting, which must surely result in bigger bass?
Must have had an easy 50 fish in a couple of hours or so, a new species for me, a good trial of my new rod and a new local fishing buddy as well. I even managed to get to the hospital before visiting finished. Result!
Will be going again as my new buddy showed me pictures of his previous catches there!!!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Well done boi, a great read that. Love them Giltheads.

You definitely fish some interesting venues, while employing unusual and interesting tactics. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picking her up soon. She seemed to be ok with pain, but the meds make her feel sick. That's my day time fishing done for a while. Priorities and all that. I am leaving the club soon I reckon, but hope to remain an honorary member!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts