World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm getting a new boat rod and reel soon but i am not sure what to get. Most of my fishing will be from Exmouth.I expect a 20lb class rod would be what I need. Has anyone got any ideas what woul be best? :confused:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Firemansam,

Stick to the old faithful, Daiwa, Abu or Shimano, forget about the others. They all come with an excellent guarantee and pedigree. A 1230 rod would just about cover all your requirements for now with a view to moving up to 2050 when you decide to have a go at large Conger. My favourites are the Daiwa TDXB range,

As to the reel, I prefer the Abu 7000 or 7500C3, they are 1st class reels and are very easy to maintain yourself. Other reels to think about are the TLD or Charter Specials from Shimano. Both are excellent reels but not so easy to maintain as the Abu range, ie if you are going to maintain them yourself.

Once again this is my opinion, no doubt others will differ.

Please remember "You only get what you pay for."

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Drew. I think a lot of the time i will be drift fishing over wrecks. Would the 7000 be up to that. What about the ugly stick elite and penn 320gti are they any good?

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate, must agree with diawa choice, the tdx 2050 is a belting rod for boat fishing I've got mine matched with a penn 330 gti lw, great set up, had it for over a year now and would'nt swap it at all.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Sam,

The Abu 7000C3 will do all that you ask of it and more. It is an excellent reel and as I have already stated easy to maintain. I keep saying this, as a reel must be looked after if you want it to last. It must be washed with warm water and thoroughly dried after each trip, and every couple of trips a more thorough examination to check for rust etc. This is easy with the abu range. This reel would also be suitable for uptiding and if pushed beach casting.

If the Daiwa TDXB range is a little bit expensive I would go for the Daiwa PLZB30A, next would be the Shimano Beast Master Boat 20-30 or the Abu Conolon Premier 30lb.

Whilst fishing aboard Meridian Express earlier on in the year I witnessed a 55lb Conger being caught with a Shimano Exage 4 piece 12-20 travel rod coupled to a Abu 6500 CT Mag Elite. (enough said)

Your choice of a 20lb rod is ideal for drifting, however if the skipper anchors up for a while for wreck fishing you would then be better with the 30lb rod, that is my reason for going for the 30 pounder, it would suit both jobs.

No doubt that you will have already noted that I would never touch Penn or Shakespeare gear for all the money in the world. Whenever I have had to ask questions regarding rods or reels I have always been able to talk to someone in the service departments of Daiwa, Abu and Shimano. The service from these manufacturers has been A1, and I am not a dealer, just another fisherman

Hope this helps, but as I have already stated, this is my opinion and not that of others.

Cheers

Drew

B

·
0 Posts
Get yourself an ABU uptider - one of the models with an adjustable butt - it will cover most types of boat fishing and the extra length will help to keep your line away from everyone elses.
As for a reel I have the 7500 C3 and can't fault it.
What ever you get, do not and I mean DO NOT under any circumstances be persuaded to buy a Shakespeare UGLI reel,they are CRAP! I bought one when they first came onto the market and after less than a years use it is showing signs of serious corrosion,inspite of being thoroughly washed after each trip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts