World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to move up from fixed spool to multiplier, just bought a 525 supermag, can anyone recommend a good mid priced rod to match, willing to spen +/- £150, fish both clean and rough marks, is there a good all rounder ?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Check the Mags.

£150 in Poingdestres - Anglers Corner (Post free). Don't be frightened to ask them to cut their price, barter with them, they will cut their price in the end, If they don't take your business elsewhere. Most of them will price match.

You are the one with the money, spend it well and don't buy rubbish.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys,

Very good question as I was going to ask the same thing in the same £ bracket. However I have heard some very good reports about the Shakespear ODESSA BASS rod, now before you all say " oh no not a shakespear" lets just hang on a bit more and see if anyone on this site can back me up.
I was willing to pay £150/60 for a cono flex bass/estuary rod as I do enjoy fishing with quality brands purely cos we all think that the more money we spend the better chances of catching fish.
Well let me put you all right on this one....2x cona flex enigma souths at £230 each and I catch pritty much bugger all on them.. My old carp rod at £45 I catch bloody every thing.
Anyway back to the ODESSA.
It comes in at around the £45/60 mark and although I havent tried one out yet all the feedback ive had has been brilliant.
Cast from 2-4oz lead and has a sensitive tip and a stiff middle and butt section to harness its power.
I'm gonna buy 2 in a couple of weeks and will post a report and let you know how they performed.
Ive heard they are pritty much the best beach/bass/estuary and light rock rod you can get for the money.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i love shakespear rods,,i think recently they've become very well made,,anyway,,i use em,,and am very happy with them..

Go SHAKESPEAR!

And im not being sarcastic..ive used daiwa and abu's..and i dont see much of a difference

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Pixy,

All down to luck (60% / 40%,) the fish dont know what type of rod you are fishing with. It could be a bamboo cane for all they care.

I like to know that I am using something that feels good and under normal conditions will stand up to 'fair wear and tear'. Time and time I have seen inexpensive, rods break and reels sieze for no apparent reason. In the right hands, an experienced angler will bring a good fish in with the cheapest rod and reel that you can find, but an inexperienced angler would probably snap the same rod or strip the reel.

You as well as I know that the rod should do all the work, but how many times have you seen a novice try and bring in a decent fish using only the reel? That is when the problems begin. Either the gears in the cheap reel pack up or the cheap rod snaps.

As I always say "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

Lang may your lum reek.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
exactly drew..

In my posession i have a Shakespear MG-1000 beachcaster(3-6oz,ish) and a cheapy reel.
(Bought both Brand new for £40) I like to call her the "Stick of death" or "Twig of Doom"..

it bends,bounces in the slightest breeze,When a bit weed hits the line,you'd swear you had a 80lb Conger with a jet pack on!..

But it reels in fish,,as good as the next rod.Ive fished with people on the pier in porthcawl,with there Expensive gear,and caught more and bigger than them!!..I learned to fish with it,,and will never give her up!!

In my opinion,,fishing in most cases is about luck,,and having fun,,and Not trying to out do the next guy in the tackle department!!(im talking fishing tackle ;) )

Buy whatever you feel happy with..!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts