World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I didn't bother getting a Christmas prezzie this year. I figured I'd wait 'til there was something I actually needed before spending money on something that would be just "nice to have". But ......

Cabin fever got the better of me (it used to get me at this time of year when I raced motorbikes too :wallbash:) and damn me I only went an bought a new lure rod!

I wanted a long and light rod to flick out the SP's and small hard lures at a few locations I scouted last year. I developed a craving for the Graphiteleader Argento Nuovo Gonas 902l/ml but eventually decided to be more conservative. I pre-ordered the Major Craft Skyroad SKR 902 ML from Veals. Still not cheap, but I was hoping you get what you pay for. And then I saw a cracking deal with Maxpesca in Spain. They had only listed the Argento in their sale for £280. I couldn't resist, cancelled my Veals pre-order and went for it.

Their English is far better than my Spanish and we sorted things out nice and smoothly. The rod, plus some unexpected free SP's and a T-shirt all arrived safely this morning :yahoo:

Just remembered I always seem to blank first time out with a new rod :blink:

·
Banned
15,860 Posts
TT - Tackle Tart !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko::fishing:

Good luck with it, hope you catch a few but make sure you dont lose the end of this 1

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Well I didn't bother getting a Christmas prezzie this year. I figured I'd wait 'til there was something I actually needed before spending money on something that would be just "nice to have". But ......

Cabin fever got the better of me (it used to get me at this time of year when I raced motorbikes too :wallbash:) and damn me I only went an bought a new lure rod!

I wanted a long and light rod to flick out the SP's and small hard lures at a few locations I scouted last year. I developed a craving for the Graphiteleader Argento Nuovo Gonas 902l/ml but eventually decided to be more conservative. I pre-ordered the Major Craft Skyroad SKR 902 ML from Veals. Still not cheap, but I was hoping you get what you pay for. And then I saw a cracking deal with Maxpesca in Spain. They had only listed the Argento in their sale for £280. I couldn't resist, cancelled my Veals pre-order and went for it.

Their English is far better than my Spanish and we sorted things out nice and smoothly. The rod, plus some unexpected free SP's and a T-shirt all arrived safely this morning :yahoo:

Just remembered I always seem to blank first time out with a new rod :blink:
You only buy yourself chrissie pressies, I bet your missus loves you:kissing:

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Yes there's some very good bargains from Spain and Italy around at the moment you just got to have a good search. I've just ordered a rod from Italy saving nearly £150 from UK price and includes postage.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I've done exactly the same last week, not quite as a considered purchase as yours but I've had a new octana 9ft and the trio reel. Not only that I managed to get the rod for £65 in the sale the reel was free and I managed a pair of free polarised fishing glasses too! It felt like such a deal that I couldn't not buy it! And on top I've purchased a few new lures too!

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Lovely bit of kit there Kev :clap:.

I'd have to agree with Viaductbaggies that you're definitely a tackle tart but it takes one to know one :laugh: and it's a condition which strikes most of us lure anglers at some time :oops:. My Teklon Concept might have been less than half the price of your new toy but I dread to think how much money I've spent on shiny lures in the 2 years, in fact I'm suffering from a bad case of cabin fever myself at the moment and I'm on the verge of ordering even more new toys :roll1:.

As if that wasn't bad enough I've also just invested in a 30lb+ Black Rock AK Sport boat rod and a Shimano TLD 20 for a shark fishing trip We've got booked out of Penzance in July and it will also come in handy for boat congering and fishing the Holyhead Deeps :fishing:.

Roll on the spring then and the best of luck with your Christmas presie :thumbs:.

·
Registered
980 Posts
sounds like a good deal on your new rod
you certainly not the only one buying new lures, I have bought plenty ... I am waiting to see what new rods Malcolm gets in his shop...
its been a long winter roll on the bass fishing season

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Andy.

It's an incredibly light rod that is going to be a joy to use. That said, I've got a Teklon 802 and 832 which I still adore. Brilliant rods. I bought the 832 a few years ago and have caught more fish on it than all my other rods put together. It does for my rough ground work for the big Pollack and Wrasse and handles a full house of Mack with ease. It's a long story, but I've even caught Huss and a huge (2ft long) Lobster on it!

I saw the 802 second hand in mint condition and couldn't resist it. I caught my first (lure caught) Bass on it shortly after.

I've resisted the temptation to buy too many hard lures so far; I'm a big fan of SP's. That said, I'd like to take a Bass off the op this year.

Fully understand the heavy boat gear btw. I had a BIGGG Conger snap me off on a wreck in Alderney last year, and saw a mate get spooled by a Porgie. I soo would like to land one of those suckers.

Ahhh, cabin fever. It gets you when you least expect it :headhurt:

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
I know I joke about people who spend hundreds on rods Kev but since buying my Concept 902L I can see how you get what you pay for, I love my Savage Gear Salt & Bushwhacker but for an extra £100 the Teklon is in a different league :clap: so I can only imagine how brilliant the Argento is :g:.

Lure wise I'm the opposite of you, hard lures are definitely my addiction and before this latest order my collection stands at around 60 :whistling, this year though I intend to give soft plastics much more of a go.

As far as my new boat set up goes I've got a blue shark fishing session booked out of Penzance and I hope to do a lot more congering out of Holyhead this year but with a capacity of only 250yds of 17lb mono the Charter Special 1000 I currently use for all my boat fishing just isn't up to the job :nonono:, luckily Steve A was able to pick a pair of good conditioned used TLD 20s at a very good price and with a line capacity of 450yds of 30lb mono they should be just the job. The Black Rock rods were bargains too, apparently they're built on the Daiwa Kensaki blanks and at £51 including delivery they're a steal :eek:hmy:.

I'm still keeping an eye on local sea temperatures and at Rhosneigr they've been holding steady at around 7.6 degrees for a week now so fingers crossed they'll start to rise in the next few weeks and the 2014 season will be off making cabin fever a thing of the past :yeah:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts