World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i am asking for your help again im looking to get some general shore rods that are capable of casting a long way and of being able to land a decent fish if im lucky i have 3 in mind the first are imax4-6 the pair second hand but used only a couple of times £150 pr.
2nd are penn surfblaster guvner £160 pr new,
and finally salt beach new £110 pr
if anyone has got these rods and can give me some advice i would be grateful was only looking to pay up to £180ish :g:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
hi guys i am asking for your help again im looking to get some general shore rods that are capable of casting a long way and of being able to land a decent fish if im lucky i have 3 in mind the first are imax4-6 the pair second hand but used only a couple of times £150 pr.
2nd are penn surfblaster guvner £160 pr new,
and finally salt beach new £110 pr
if anyone has got these rods and can give me some advice i would be grateful was only looking to pay up to £180ish :g:
Sorry to put you off but the rods above dont really cut it for long range work!
Save up a few more pennies and buy a century ccc ld. You can probably pick one up for £200,
Or a Ron Thompson Axe at £100. (this casts well but may be too powerful)
Or maybe a greys rod

Alternatively i would seriously consider a decent used rod from Century,ZZiplex or Daiwa. Im sure you can find one as its the end of the season.
I often buy used and it means cost free fishing. You can often buy cheaply and sell on for a profit or very little depreciation .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these rods are complete **** why dont you just spend the cash and buy another wr300
hiya dino got a pair of wr's but they are a little strong for general fishing got a ronnie but use that for congering and hussing just after a genral casting rod?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
General casting rod. Get a Century Carbon Metal Express or the TT match, i have a Carbon Metal and it is nice to fish with although it is perhaps a little to light for big seas and rough ground. A good lighter rod which can cast leads up to 5oz plus bait is the TT lite, its about the only rod i use for beachcasting from April to September they are superb.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a Penn Guvnor M. It will cast a lead over 200yds on grass. I have no doubt that it can cast a baited trace 150yds in the right hands. How far do you need?

You mentioned that you wanted the rod to be able to land a decent fish. If you are using 15/18lb line, then you stand more chance of landing a very big fish on a more flexable rod like this, than on a tournament casting rod. Any rod capable of casting 6oz of lead will have more than enough strength for playing fish on lines less than 20lb.

·
Registered
920 Posts
dont get the salts mate, imaxs are ok, the penns are the best choice. or....... see if you can get a good deal on a couple of daiwa surfbreakers, far better than all the previous, although the butts are a bit chubbier than the others, lovely to cast, powerful, sensitive, two equal sections and great quality. :blink: :g:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
hiya dino got a pair of wr's but they are a little strong for general fishing got a ronnie but use that for congering and hussing just after a genral casting rod?
i use a pair too best heavy rods ive ever used (and ive had most)for all my general fishing i use a pair of 13' 6"carbon metals,after swinging the wr's they bend sweetly,best allrounder going in my book lot of rod for the money.
if i could only have one rod this would be it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
i use a pair too best heavy rods ive ever used (and ive had most)for all my general fishing i use a pair of 13' 6"carbon metals,after swinging the wr's they bend sweetly,best allrounder going in my book lot of rod for the money.
if i could only have one rod this would be it.
if it was the only rod i`d let you have it:blink:

·
Registered
462 Posts
hey mate for 189.99 i know a place thats doin the Grey's PZ match rod 13ft multiplier buy one get one free! these are cracking all rounders i got mine last wek they cast a distance and they sit in the tide lovely cracking buy mate...u cud buy it and sell on the free rod for 150.00 all day so therefore its only cost you 30.00 for a 189.00 rod :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts