World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a heavier spin / occasional light bait rod. I thought I'd settled on a Penn Rampage II 10' 28-85g but after getting a good look at one, the distance from butt to reel seat is much longer than I was expecting. I guess this is good for casting heavier weights, but I found it gets in the way too much.

Another rod recommended was a Shimano Exage BX STC. There's a 10' 20-50g rod that looks like it'll fit, but it appears to be discontinued and I'm having trouble finding any now.

The replacement STC rods are now on Shimano's site, available to buy from a few retailers and contain a few interesting variations. The ones I'm looking at are:

1) STC Spinning a straight replacement 10' 20-60g rod. I assume this is the one most like the old Exage BX. This is a little more expensive than I could have found the BX for - I assume this is a result of the old stock being sold off cheaper.

2) Multi-Length Spin this appears to be the same rod as above, with the ability to remove a 1' section to turn it into a 9' rod. I'm having trouble seeing the point of this for me. The Shimano site talks about it making the rod easier to use when fishing close to trees, etc. Are there any other benefits to this? It's about £20 more than the fixed length version.

3) STC Dual Tip this one looks interesting. It's a 10' 28-122g rod that you can remove the top two sections and replace with a single heavier tip to turn it into an 8' boat rod. Has anyone had any experience with this rod? It looks a bit too heavy for what I'm after, but I might have a use for the shorter rod for kayak fishing (if I can talk the missus into letting me put a rod holder on her kayak). This one is about £50 more than the fixed length version. I think this rod is intended for big game fishing holidays though.

Has anyone seen these rods first-hand, or any other multi-length rods? Does the option of removing a 1' section provide any benefit to justify the £20 extra? Is the ability to transform into a boat rod worth spending an extra £50 on, or do you just end up with two sub-par rods? Should I just stick with the cheaper Penn rod?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Jason

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can't comment about the exact rod's you're looking at but a few years ago bought my lad an exage travel boat rod. Stunning bit of kit and I dare say better than anything Penn produce.
He's in the navy and it goes away year after year on trips to the gulf.
Quality items.

·
Registered
20,599 Posts
Can't comment about the exact rod's you're looking at but a few years ago bought my lad an exage travel boat rod. Stunning bit of kit and I dare say better than anything Penn produce.
He's in the navy and it goes away year after year on trips to the gulf.
Quality items.
:) When I was in the RN I used to buy all my tackle in the American PX's, fantastic choice and half the price. Anything I needed in the Gulf where there wasn't a PX, drag washers, line, hooks etc it was sent VAT free and at BFPO postage rates. Oh, those were the days, fantastic fishing and diving and full LOA while at sea. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm also interested in the new shimano stc - much lighter then previous models, even the jdm Trastick.
It's a pity that Blue Romance is discontinued... Can't find the jerkbait version anywhere.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Though the 3rd option was most interesting for me though, with the possibility of using the short version as a kayak rod, I couldn't justify spending £100+ on a rod I'd only use a few times a year. I ended up getting a much cheaper (<£60) Diawa Seahunter Z 6 piece 11' bass rod. I'm waiting delivery now.

I went with this rod after deciding that I was more interested in a light shore / bass / flatfish rod than a heavy lure rod. It can also be used with one section removed as a 9'6 lure rod which will suit the 30-45g metal lures I might use when its windy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Though the 3rd option was most interesting for me though, with the possibility of using the short version as a kayak rod, I couldn't justify spending £100+ on a rod I'd only use a few times a year. I ended up getting a much cheaper (<£60) Diawa Seahunter Z 6 piece 11' bass rod. I'm waiting delivery now.

I went with this rod after deciding that I was more interested in a light shore / bass / flatfish rod than a heavy lure rod. It can also be used with one section removed as a 9'6 lure rod which will suit the 30-45g metal lures I might use when its windy.
I think that the 3rd option reduced down to 8' would be too long for a kayak rod, they are usually around 6' long. Instead it would be more akin to a jerkbait or popper rod used for chucking heavy lures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts