World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New source of crab bait Just found a Chinese cash and carry that stocks a range of useful things we can use as bait!!! 1kg packs of squid tenticles £3.80, Razor fish £4.15, small calamari £1.55 box 453grm. But best of all SOFT SHELLED CRAB!
They are Scylla serrata or mud crabs - for info seach name on Google - masses of useful info! I got 25 2.5 inch diam crabs individually wrapped for £12.95! The place is Wing Yip on the Purley Way, Croydon. No more bait shortages the freezer is well stocked. Just hoping they catch fish!

V

·
0 Posts
i'm all for cheaper bait,but!,what are these crabs,i.e.are they native to this land,do they carry a virus dead or alive that is likely to endanger our native species,i'm not trying to dampen anyones spirits but a little fore thought will go a long way.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As all of these are sold for cooking purposes I would assume they have passed various food safety checks and if they are fit for human consumption will be ok for the fish! Look at Google they are used as bait in many countries. I will post a report on the massive bass I am about to catch on these later!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pedro,

Been using them for a couple of years now, I look forward to a sudden shortage!
Although I've still got 2 drawers full of them in the bait freezer at home! give it a couple of months and I'll be selling them on at this rate.

ps. they may catch you a Bass but thats not what I use them for.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Explain! Not quite sure what you mean. Have they not worked? Which - the mud/mango crabs or the razor fish? Ive had black bream on the razor off Littlehampton when nothing else worked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts