World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody

So I've finally taken the plunge of buying myself a yak to get out fishing on. I bought a wilderness radar 135, fitted with pedal drive ,rudder, and Garmin 5cv. Although if I hadn't been so impulsive I probably wouldn't have bought this particular yak as it is HEAVY out of the water.
The weather God's however seem to be chuckling at me since I've bought it, having only managed to get out once, and I'm desperate to try and get out there as much as possible.
So I've tried to use the time to visit places to scope out how easy it will be too launch around me.
I think at the moment I definitely fall into the category of "all the gear no idea" from a kayaking point of view, and in fairness sea fishing from a bait point of view. I've always lure fished, fished from a charter or similar when abroad.
Does anybody know of a kayak fishing club or group around the Plymouth, Cornwall area please?

Many thanks
Adrian

·
Registered
22,512 Posts
Hi everybody

So I've finally taken the plunge of buying myself a yak to get out fishing on. I bought a wilderness radar 135, fitted with pedal drive ,rudder, and Garmin 5cv. Although if I hadn't been so impulsive I probably wouldn't have bought this particular yak as it is HEAVY out of the water.
The weather God's however seem to be chuckling at me since I've bought it, having only managed to get out once, and I'm desperate to try and get out there as much as possible.
So I've tried to use the time to visit places to scope out how easy it will be too launch around me.
I think at the moment I definitely fall into the category of "all the gear no idea" from a kayaking point of view, and in fairness sea fishing from a bait point of view. I've always lure fished, fished from a charter or similar when abroad.
Does anybody know of a kayak fishing club or group around the Plymouth, Cornwall area please?

Many thanks
Adrian
Have a look at cornwall kayak fishermans videos on youtube! He knows his stuff!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi everybody

Many thanks
Adrian
I think you may have made a mistake. What you have bought is not really a kayak, but a pedal boat. It would have been better to buy a standard kayak, no frills, and lean to kayak properly and safely first.
Some experienceed kayakers migrate to pedal boats, but I can't for the life of me see why. The advertising is seductive to some I suppose. You have already mentioned one downside, weight.
How you get on with no previous experience in a kayak is hard to tell, but you need to try it on a lake or something first to get used to it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
22,512 Posts
Cheers, I have been watching some of his videos.
I've also been reading and watching the Cornish kayak anglers blog, some really useful information on there also.
He is a nice bloke who takes time to explain things. I owe him a couple of spidercrabs when I see him for some advice he gave me.

Reactions: Trampster1922

·
Registered
380 Posts
Adrian,
I hate to say it but have you tried Fb?
I just got a 2nd hand yack this weekend from someone on the forum. Had a little go up the boathouse nr lopwell with the family. May be go get used to it up there?
I haven't got all the gear yet, taking it steady.
Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adrian,
I hate to say it but have you tried Fb?
I just got a 2nd hand yack this weekend from someone on the forum. Had a little go up the boathouse nr lopwell with the family. May be go get used to it up there?
I haven't got all the gear yet, taking it steady.
Cheers Stuart
Hi Stuart.

I've joined a couple of groups on there, with one a local one specifically for fishing from the kayak in the south west. Which has lots of decent people in it from what I can tell so far.

I managed to get out last Saturday when it was like glass, there was mackeral everywhere . It was good day as I just chilled out and managed to figure out a few bits and pieces ,ie where things are best being stored, located, how not to unload my karitek .
I've also taken some drives and walks with the Mrs, well she thinks they were I was just going to places to see where I can launch my kayak from .
How did you get on up lopwell as I know people do tend to fish up there a fair bit? my boy used to do his kayaking up there with the marine cadets.

Cheers
adrian

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi,
Glad you found people, I didn't fish, lots were from the shore. A few mullet, mostly small, a few big fish moved bug that's all to report. I haven't caught there but not fished much.
In the ferry queue going to Cawsand with the family, yack on roof :thumbsup:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Glad you found people, I didn't fish, lots were from the shore. A few mullet, mostly small, a few big fish moved bug that's all to report. I haven't caught there but not fished much.
In the ferry queue going to Cawsand with the family, yack on roof :thumbsup:
I looked at launching from cawsands as it's level with the breakwater, straight into fishing ground
Just tight around those streets
I'll be launchingng from Mount batten tomorrow and head over that way and around shag stone Wembury I think

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Some experienceed kayakers migrate to pedal boats, but I can't for the life of me see why.
Because they can find a reef or structure using their fish finder, drift over it at a rate that doesn't need 5-8oz of lead, or at slack water move their lures across features. They can fish into kelp beds and rock walls without constantly having to put the rod away and paddle. Drifting too fast is a thing of the past, like today with 2-2.5 knot drift was slowed by slowly peddling into the flow it was tamed to 0.6-0.8. snagged lures meant I used to have to put the rod down, paddle uptide, put down paddle pick up rod, wind in slack that probably was even tighter snagged, but now I peddle up with rod in hand keeping the line tight all the way and hopefully, usually between 50-75% of the time, get it back. If I see a shoal of mackerel or sandeels on the finder I can reverse until I am static and drop down a line quicker than I could with a conventional kayak.

If that is all cheating you need to get back to the beach and a handline or even a trident?

Come on drag yourself into the 21st century!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Some experienceed kayakers migrate to pedal boats, but I can't for the life of me see why.
Because they can find a reef or structure using their fish finder, drift over it at a rate that doesn't need 5-8oz of lead, or at slack water move their lures across features. They can fish into kelp beds and rock walls without constantly having to put the rod away and paddle. Drifting too fast is a thing of the past, like today with 2-2.5 knot drift was slowed by slowly peddling into the flow it was tamed to 0.6-0.8. snagged lures meant I used to have to put the rod down, paddle uptide, put down paddle pick up rod, wind in slack that probably was even tighter snagged, but now I peddle up with rod in hand keeping the line tight all the way and hopefully, usually between 50-75% of the time, get it back. If I see a shoal of mackerel or sandeels on the finder I can reverse until I am static and drop down a line quicker than I could with a conventional kayak.

If that is all cheating you need to get back to the beach and a handline or even a trident?

Come on drag yourself into the 21st century!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I looked at launching from cawsands as it's level with the breakwater, straight into fishing ground
Just tight around those streets
I'll be launchingng from Mount batten tomorrow and head over that way and around shag stone Wembury I think
A couple of relatively easy launch sites further along into Cornwall, Portwrinkle, and Seaton. I have had decent bass at Seaton in bright sunshine while the boss enjoyed the beach, I have not launched at Portwrinkle but fished it a lot from the beach and rocks and I think it worth a try too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of relatively easy launch sites further along into Cornwall, Portwrinkle, and Seaton. I have had decent bass at Seaton in bright sunshine while the boss enjoyed the beach, I have not launched at Portwrinkle but fished it a lot from the beach and rocks and I think it worth a try too.
I was contemplating seaton tomorrow but looking at the blue chart it seems quite shallow and feature less so thought I'd go for the sound and mewstone tomorrow instead, not that I know anything I've started learning, so it's interesting to know it's worth fishing.
I have taken a walk down portwinkle and it is certainly somewhere I will be trying I'm just putting off dragging my kayak up that steep slope

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Charts don't show much more than an average depth of water, I have 14+ marks in a 1 mile radius from one launch site, it would be double that if half of it was flat sand. None of them are on navionics gold and some rise up 8-10 feet off the sea floor, one second you are in 40' the next the sounder is dropping.
If you try Seaton there are a few small reefs directly in front of the beach and the rocks east and west are worth casting a sandeel slug at!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Charts don't show much more than an average depth of water, I have 14+ marks in a 1 mile radius from one launch site, it would be double that if half of it was flat sand. None of them are on navionics gold and some rise up 8-10 feet off the sea floor, one second you are in 40' the next the sounder is dropping.
If you try Seaton there are a few small reefs directly in front of the beach and the rocks east and west are worth casting a sandeel slug at!
Cheers malks I'll keep that in mind. As I say I'm new to this, only my third time out tomorrow. I understand what you mean about things changing though. Last time out around the corner from seaton i found a part that dropped and rose again pretty quickly that I wasn't expecting so hit save on the Garmin for next time. I just haven't launched from seaton yet although it looks perfect for launching my barge , I'm just trying to use what I understand from charter fishing about finding the structure on the bottom and ease of launch which is why I thought I'd go from Plymouth tomorrow and try all around the sound and around the mewstone.

Cheers
Adrian

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just on the ferry home, cawsand is easy. Unload in the Square, drop off your kit. Park in the car park, free after 1600. £3.30 for up to 3 hrs.
Portwrinkle is steep :thumbsup:
Tight lines.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Some experienceed kayakers migrate to pedal boats, but I can't for the life of me see why
Some Kayakers like the advantage of being mobile whilst still having both hands free for fishing. Some experienced Kayakers, and folks like me who are considering a Kayak, have chest and/or upper limb problems which means a pedal Yak is a better option as they have better fitness & stamina in their legs. Not everybody is the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts