World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at buying a new fly rod for saltwater and pike fishing. must be sw resistant obviously and i was hoping for a 9 weight. i already have a 10/11 greys grx reel and would want to use this reel with the new rod. would this be ok?

have looked already at scierra bluewater, airflo bluetooth, temple fork axiom, but not sure what to get. was recommende an orvis zero gravitybut i can only get an 8 weight and i dont think that will suit the reel i have.

cheers in advance

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a Cortland SW (9 weight) and they are good rods. Really really light. In the latest (or maybe last months) Fly Fishing mag, I cannot remember the name of it, but have it at home, there is a big review on about 15-20 rods all aimed at SWFF and Pike. It covers most things for each rod, action, weight, how they cast etc, and most of them are 9 weights. I will have a look tonight and let you know exactly which mag and which issue it was in.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,079 Posts
Salt water fly fishing is a branch of our sport that I have never tried,it looks very exciting.
Have fly fished many times up in the Scottish Highlands and can cast OK.
I bet its different though casting those big Bass lures.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you can cast I would recommend a Redington CPS 9wt if you want a Pike/Salt rod. More performance for your money than the others mentioned here and much lighter.
TFO are also good and on sale at TackleBargains. The Professional if you want a medium action and TiCR or TICRx if you prefer faster actions. These are heavier though.

Orvis ZeroG is a good rod but not my cup of tea (i was fishing one at the weekend)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after much humming and hawing i decided on an orvis tls.

had a shot of an orvis clearwater 9 weight and i liked the feel of that.

now i just need it to arrive before the mrs goes into labour lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
A little late now that you've done the deed, but I have an Ovris TLS #8 and it's a great rod for someone like me who is an average caster (on a good day).

I've never found it tiring to use so I'm sure you'll be happy with your new baby.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little late now that you've done the deed, but I have an Ovris TLS #8 and it's a great rod for someone like me who is an average caster (on a good day).

I've never found it tiring to use so I'm sure you'll be happy with your new baby.
nice one steve:)

i'm average at casting too but do have my better days lol

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Salt water fly fishing is a branch of our sport that I have never tried,it looks very exciting.
Have fly fished many times up in the Scottish Highlands and can cast OK.
I bet its different though casting those big Bass lures.

Nick.
i used to fly fish for rainbows, got bored with that so moved on to other species starting with pike. that was also awesome fun but not advisable on the waters i fish during the summer months so decided to chuck a fly for pollack and mackerel. absolutely awesome fun mate and had a new fly caught pb pollack of 4lb 4oz this year. made it worth the effort so it did.

you gotta try it mate. you'll love it!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think I will mate.
If you do, look at the Mike Ladle saltwater fly rod in #8 or #9/10. It's made on a Harrison 4 piece blank and in my opinion kicks the backside of any other saltwater flyrod that costs 3 or 4 times as much. I have the 9/10 that I built myself and it's wonderful with a WF9 line.

I don't think an #8 is the best all round option for SWFF in Britain, simply because of the onshore winds that we have to continually cope with, particularly on the west coast.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Complete noob and I could look it up i suppose - but the # naming - what does that refer to - the breaking strain of the main fly line?
Thats the aftm (American Fly-fishing Tackle Manufacturers) number -its to do with the weight of the fly line. Higher number more weight. The Highest number printed on the rod generaly corresponds to the optimum weight forward taper fly line that can be used with the rod with the first 10 yards of line aerialised (-but its a lot more complex than that http://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/lesson2/aftm.shtml)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thats the aftm (American Fly-fishing Tackle Manufacturers) number -its to do with the weight of the fly line. Higher number more weight. The Highest number printed on the rod generaly corresponds to the optimum weight forward taper fly line that can be used with the rod with the first 10 yards of line aerialised (-but its a lot more complex than that http://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/lesson2/aftm.shtml)
Still confused, sorry! I'll make it dead simple: if the big number on the rod says #9, then buy a #9 weight, weight forward taper(WF) fly line for it etc.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It can be a tad more complicated than Piscamaniac suggests as some rods have a two line rating like #9/10. This tends to be a bit outmoded nowadays as the 9 would refer to a double taper line (which you would never use in the sea anyway) and the 10 refers to a weight forward line. In my opinion all rods should be rated for a single line weight to make things clearer.

However, and trust me on this because I know from experience, if you were to get the Mike Ladle #9/10 rod (from Veals in Bristol) which is built on a 4 piece blank by Harrisons of Liverpool, it is definitely best with a WF9 line!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It can be a tad more complicated than Piscamaniac suggests as some rods have a two line rating like #9/10. This tends to be a bit outmoded nowadays as the 9 would refer to a double taper line (which you would never use in the sea anyway) and the 10 refers to a weight forward line. In my opinion all rods should be rated for a single line weight to make things clearer.

However, and trust me on this because I know from experience, if you were to get the Mike Ladle #9/10 rod (from Veals in Bristol) which is built on a 4 piece blank by Harrisons of Liverpool, it is definitely best with a WF9 line!
I'm not sure about that as I thought 30ft of WF line weighs the same as 30ft DT line? To me double rated rods are double rated because someone cant make their mind up? All rods will have an optimium load with 30ft of line. I doubt this had anything to do with Mike Ladle but some dude flogging generic low cost blanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not sure about that as I thought 30ft of WF line weighs the same as 30ft DT line? To me double rated rods are double rated because someone cant make their mind up? All rods will have an optimium load with 30ft of line. I doubt this had anything to do with Mike Ladle but some dude flogging generic low cost blanks.
Sorry I disagree! The two line rating is flawed but as most casters don't aerialise exactly 10yds of line (most do more) the lower rating would reflect the heavier double taper.

Also to call a Harrison blank, conceived and made by one of the most respected rod builders in the UK "generic, low cost" is just ignorant!

Mike Ladle would have consulted with Harrisons on the construction of anything that bears his name!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sorry I disagree! The two line rating is flawed but as most casters don't aerialise exactly 10yds of line (most do more) the lower rating would reflect the heavier double taper.!
Nice theory however generally WF and DT lines weigh the same on the first 30ft. I know this as when I make shooting heads I buy cheap DT and WF lines and cut and weigh them around the 10yrd mark. Give it a go..

Using the AMFTA guidelines for grains, every additional 5ft of line past the rod tip is the equivalent of an additional line rating. Therefore where did the assumption that a WF line will have 5ft more of line out the rod tip than a DT line come from? I suggest the dual AMFTA ratings on rods are crap and meaningless, which is probably why you dont see them on the more expensive rods? Any 9wt can cast a 8wt line, 10wt line or even 11wt line so why not triple/quadruple rated rods? Its marketing nonsense and nothing else.

Also to call a Harrison blank, conceived and made by one of the most respected rod builders in the UK "generic, low cost" is just ignorant!!
Harrisons are known for bait and course rods aren't they? Their website states that the blanks are made in the far-east and the ML fly rod is £80 so isn't that low-cost? The ML rod might be a good but it is still a mass produced low cost rod isn't it?

Mike Ladle would have consulted with Harrisons on the construction of anything that bears his name!
I'm sure he did, but I guess you haven't seen Mike cast then ;) I think he'll be the first to admit he wouldn't win any casting contests.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sorry I disagree! The two line rating is flawed but as most casters don't aerialise exactly 10yds of line (most do more) the lower rating would reflect the heavier double taper.

Also to call a Harrison blank, conceived and made by one of the most respected rod builders in the UK "generic, low cost" is just ignorant!

Didn't stop them getting the rating wrong, according to your rules though did it?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
!
I'm with flyguy on this, a one aftm rating is an excellent comparable standard. I dont know why you're trying to defend something you dont seem to think is very good anyway?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts