World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Halfords sell an alloy solder, 2 sticks to a pack flux coated. They will work with a Map gas flame as long as you don't mind the price. Allthough the video doesn't state what torch / gas flame is used I would put money on it being a gas oxygen mix. Problem with welding/soldering any alloy is the speed the part conduct the heat away from the flame, you need a really fierce flame to have any chance at all of a good bond or it needs to be a small isolated part.

Not being negative about this product as I have never used it but I have gas, mig and tig experience of alloy welding, this stuff may just be what we have been waiting for.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Hello Lads,
If your trying to repair the aluminum on your engine, but no nothing about welding then see the link below. Take a look and let us know what you think.:)

http://aluminumrepair.com/login/Video_Brochure/newflash.html

http://www.forumsvibe.com/dinghyang...363be14d05da54143de1e3&mforum=dinghyanglersuk
If your trying to repair the aluminum on your engine, but know nothing about welding then take it to a proper place to do it.

I'm a certified welder (pays less than driving lorries though!) and this stuff is great for putting odds and bits together where metal properties aren't an issue but heat damages grain structures and hardness in aluminium alloys.
The join may not fail but unless you're fully aware of the type of alloy used and the effect of heat on it you may well find that the parent metal next to the join fails.

You also have to bear in mind that due to heat warping may render the workpiece unusable afterwards-and SOME alloys with high magnesium content may burst into flames.

You need an oxy/acetylene setup for enough control to use these anyway-oxy/propane is too savage. You need a licence for oxy-acetylene and it's expensive.

Worth a try as a last ditch attempt before scrapping but mig welding ally with the correct wire is probably a lot easier.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Wouldn,t an AC TIG welder be the best thing
Square wave AC is the best but not cheap (£1k+ for the plant). You can do it with normal AC tig though-but for most jobs a good mig plant+pure argon is fine.

In all fairness those rods do look like they have their uses. I'd stick to using them with Oxy/acetylene gear though for the controllability of the heat.
The old alumiweld rods used to say you could do it with a blowtorch but in reality you'll take so long heating it all up on anything thicker than 3mm that it makes it impractical and you're likely to cause warping.

That welding site is quite interesting-cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts