World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

Im due to be going on a few specie hunts this year but I honestly dont know what rigs to use?

I will be going out of Minehead, Ive been told to take a selection of weights and rigs for the close in work for gar fish, rockling ect but I dont have a clue what rigs I should use.

Ive been told to make a few 3 hooks rigs for the smaller fish with size 4 hooks on but what will I need when we move out, I dont even know what fish were likely to catch lol. There has been a hint that they could have a few tope about so I would assume I need a wire trace or heavy mono for that.

Ive got a few jelly shads and eels things which I got a while back for bass fishing but I doubt they would be any use for close in fishng around the bristol channel would they?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi mike I don't know what boat your fishing on but if it's dave roberts he had the alikat you won't get better as he knows his stuff.

If your doing a species hunt then you really need a couple of different rods to start,uptiders will take the bigger fish like tope,ray 4 types,dogs huss, smoothounds pollock.Then Ideally a very light rod for you mini species like the wrasse,garfish.mackerel,bream for instance

But the other main secret to species hunting is having a selection of baits.

I will be fishing the 4 man team event down Poole again this year and love every minute of it.

all the best with your species hunt

charlie....:) :secret:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for that info mate, Ive got a fine tipped rod and an uptider, I just need to get my hands on a good downtide rod, I'll have to have a look around my local tackle shop today.

I think the species hunts that Im going on are organised by the seven division but from what I've heard a lot of people are unhappy with the bait pack that is being supplied apparently all they are doing is a £15 bait pack with a bit of lug,. rag, crab, squid and mackeral.. I personally dont think thats enough for a 9 hour boat match though even if I am inexperienced at boat fishing, I usually take a lb of lug and 1/2 rag for 4 hours shore fishing... lol

Oh well it will be an experience and a chance to catch some fish Ive only ever seen in books...

I better get busy making some rigs up... :)

Thanks very much for your help. :clap3:

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts