World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i,m new to this Web site,(glad i came across it).
Haven,t been sea fishing for a few years ,and always stated that i would some day have my own boat,well just purchased a 18ft Pacific cruiser that needs a bit of cleaning up,so i,m looking for some advice.
I have booked the power boat level 2 (9th/10th July) and the relevant VHF course,that i need .
The boat i have purchased has been left for a time so i,m gonna need a engine overall (mercury 80 outboard) the trailer is gonna need a service as well.
Does any one out there know anyone in the Cheshire/North wales area that could carry out these jobs,as i know no boat service centres,also any boat storage or moorings in the North wales area,as i am in Wales every weekend,,,,hopefully someone can help me :eek: .
Any other information on owning a boat would be appreciated,such as where i can purchase any marine electronics,fish finder ,navigation equp,etc,etc,Any information at all thanks for reading,sorry it was so long....

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the boat.

I live near Caernarfon and have been fixing boats up most of my life. Give me a shout if I can help you out.

There are 3 places that do storage near me, costs about £300 a year, I know 1 is full but the other 2 have spaces. There is also a slip with tractor launch within 3 milesof the storage sites for £10 a launch.

If you want to put it on a mooring check the location is insurable first, Beaumaris has the most moorings but some insurance companies will not insure boats there. The cheapest I know of with no insurance problems and vacancies is Fort Belan at the Caernarfon end of the Straits, phone 01286 830220 for details. .

·
Banned
132 Posts
Chris is a good suppler of info not just for doing up the boat but for the venues and tactics to use when fishing. hes also dose a good cup of coffee and can be a charming influence where things go t#ts up.
i stay at his caravan and find that hes always got the answer for you when you need help. i would recommend him as the block to speck to and doffo arrange a visit for coffee.

I'm going to try to arrange a few days with him in a couple of weeks but will wait till i see him to arrange it.

all the best with the new boat.

chazz

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have a new fishfinder and plotter on my boat i had a good look around and contacted phiad marine 01414453673 in scotland very good first class ihad the lowrance globalmap3500 plotter and a eagle sea finder 480 the plotter is colour fishfinder is black and white i went for power hopes this helps i am very happy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris for the fast response to my plea for help,maybe i can contact you at a later stage and get some help of you,i will send you a private note with my details phone no etc,i,m in wales every weekend as i have a caravan there(located in Abergele).Not going this week,as i,m going to my first boat jumble,hopefully to get a fish finder /vhf etc,been told thats where i,ll get some good deals.
Thanks again talk soon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
taff2 said:
i have a new fishfinder and plotter on my boat i had a good look around and contacted phiad marine 01414453673 in scotland very good first class ihad the lowrance globalmap3500 plotter and a eagle sea finder 480 the plotter is colour fishfinder is black and white i went for power hopes this helps i am very happy
Thanks for the advice i,m going to boat jumble on sunday and if i have no luck there i will give Phiadd marine a ring :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Mate,
I don't want to put the dampener's on you looking at a Boat jumble for your electronics, but if you are looking for new gear do a bit of home work on the Net and in the Mags. I have found that the prices at the jumbles are not allways the bargains they seem at first. If you are looking for second hand be very careful about what you are buying, keep to the main well knowned makes and if possible a name and address of the person you puchased the gear from. Alot of stolen gear finds its way to the jumbles, make sure the manuals come with all the gear, normaly a good sign.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
So far you have made an excellent start to your new hobby.

You have asked for advice, you have already looked into and booked courses. If you carry on like this you will put us all to shame.

Think safety and courtesy for others and always carry the following:

Anchor (With enough chain and rope)
Flares
Bailer
Secondary means of propulsion
Communications and back up communications
Life jackets
Spare fuel
Some basic tools
Sharp knife (In a case or scabard).

Always be aware of tides and weather.

If you need more advice or help don't be afraid to ask and then, go out and enjoy yourself.

Bob

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
In terms of electronic kit my advice would be to read as many reviews as you can to get an idea of what you need then have a look on ebay - alot of the stuff there is brand new and if your lucky you can get a real bargain.

I agree with Steve (Fishy Finger) I used to have great faith in the boat jumbles but I guess now im more educated about the price of things and with the advent of ebay, the boat jumble prices arent that great (for some things)!

They are good though for the likes of good cheap fenders, anchors and bits of chain for your anchor.

With regard to GPS systems some have a hidden cost of having to buy the map data for the location your going to operate in - take this into account when making your choice.

If your going to buy a VHF at the boat jumble make sure it has DSC , all new vhf's should and in years to come (apparently) its the only thing that will definitely alert coastguard.

Having said all this with Guru ChrisP on your side you shouldnt go far wrong.

Ryan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fishy Finger said:
Hi Mate,
I don't want to put the dampener's on you looking at a Boat jumble for your electronics, but if you are looking for new gear do a bit of home work on the Net and in the Mags. I have found that the prices at the jumbles are not allways the bargains they seem at first. If you are looking for second hand be very careful about what you are buying, keep to the main well knowned makes and if possible a name and address of the person you puchased the gear from. Alot of stolen gear finds its way to the jumbles, make sure the manuals come with all the gear, normaly a good sign.

Cheers Steve
Hi Steve
Thanks for the advice,i will definately take care at the boat jumble,
i,ve had a look on E-bay and the best deals seem to be from USA,and i,m a bit
cautios about purchasing from the states,should i be ?
Regards Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stronsay said:
So far you have made an excellent start to your new hobby.

You have asked for advice, you have already looked into and booked courses. If you carry on like this you will put us all to shame.

Think safety and courtesy for others and always carry the following:

Anchor (With enough chain and rope)
Flares
Bailer
Secondary means of propulsion
Communications and back up communications
Life jackets
Spare fuel
Some basic tools
Sharp knife (In a case or scabard).

Always be aware of tides and weather.

If you need more advice or help don't be afraid to ask and then, go out and enjoy yourself.

Bob
Hi Bob
Thanks for advice,wouldn,t go out unless i had all safety equp,and basic knowledge,as wife will be fishing with me.Hopefully will be ready for launching in august,i will start off inshore and work my way up from their,getting used to boat firstly,and getting all the advice and help i can,joining this web site,seems to be the best start so far.
Thanks again regards Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ChrisP said:
Welcome to the site and congrats on the boat.

I live near Caernarfon and have been fixing boats up most of my life. Give me a shout if I can help you out.

There are 3 places that do storage near me, costs about £300 a year, I know 1 is full but the other 2 have spaces. There is also a slip with tractor launch within 3 milesof the storage sites for £10 a launch.

If you want to put it on a mooring check the location is insurable first, Beaumaris has the most moorings but some insurance companies will not insure boats there. The cheapest I know of with no insurance problems and vacancies is Fort Belan at the Caernarfon end of the Straits, phone 01286 830220 for details. .
Hello Chris
Thanks for the quick response,had quite a good feed back from members on this site,seems to be a good start to my new hobby,quite a few people on here have recommended you,i will send you a private message with my details e-mail address etc, and if you can help me with boat would appreciate it very much,i,m in wales most weekends as i have a caravan in Abergele,talk soon .
Regards Larry

·
Registered
413 Posts
Cool B(Larry)
I have purchased a number of things from the States. Just recentley I saved well over £110 on a pair of downriggers even after postage, vat, ect. The only downside with purchasing electronics from over the pond is that the dealers over here are a bit funny if you have to have a warranty repair done. It's a bit of a gamble but the savings are very good at the moment because of the exchange rates with the dollar to the pound.
Steve

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Be carefull if you are thinking of a VHF from the states, they use some different frequencies to our radios.

Sonar, fishfinder is the same.

GPS is the same but if you are looking at the plotter type the cartridges containing chart information are not all available here. For instance they have Bathymetric charts which show the bottom in 3d, they look brilliant but are not available for UK waters. The ones I like with the clearest information which I find most similar to paper charts are C Map.

Also you need to be aware that if you get clobbered by customs you can end up paying about a third of your parcel value in tax plus a handling - collection fee from the carrier.

A way round this is if you have a friend in the US get the goods sent to them, they wrap it in fancy paper and include a birthday card in with it and post it on to you. Usually avoids customs as a gift. Or get someone who is going over to bring it back for you, get the shop to give them a purchase recipt for a smaller value, limit is £145. Wife is going over to Cincinnati next week for work and there just hapens to be a Bass Pro shop next to the hospital. :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Be careful Chris, she might end up with a very long shopping list!

Bass pro shop is were I just purchased the downriggers from.I did get clobbered as you mentioned but still saved the £110
As you say most of the units are compatible apart from the Radio's, it's best to source the maps for the plotter's from the UK.
Cheers Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts