World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 12ft 6 speedboat (no manufacturers name) and this is my first boat.it also needs a little work on grp and painting.can anyone recommend a good book to read to get me on my way. as i've said i know nothing of boats/outboards etc so will need to be a fool's guide. thanks, gareth. :confused:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I don't know of a book that will have what you want but I know where you can get the information you re after. You ask the question here and the chances are that someone will have the answer.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Gareth, any chance on giving us a clue on what you want to know! Let us see if we can get started, does it have an engine attached? If so what is the name of it, is it 2 stroke or 4 stroke? How fast do you want to go? how big an engine will it safely take? does it have an auxillary small engine? if not, do you have a set of oars (& rowlocks) in case the motor konks out on you! Do you have an anchor with chain (the same length as the boat) & rope (~ 3 times the depth you expect to anchor in) do you have a spare anchor in case you lose the first? Do you have flares, do you have a VHF radio (a hand held is cheap as chips & can save your a**e if you get into trouble). Do you have a compass & a chart of your local area & if so can you read it? If the fog came down could you relate your compass to your chart & find your way home.
I know it sounds a lot, & it sounds daunting, but these are the VERY BASICS you need to have & know, to be able to go afloat with confidence. I have'nt mentioned GPS, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguishers, radar reflectors, depth sounders/fish finders etc, etc, because some of them may be considered "optional extras".
As you can see, safe boating can involve a lot of kit, much of which can be obtained quite reasonably from Boat Jumbles, & via e-bay, but once you have started you will want more & more "gadgets".
A boat has been described as "a waterproof container, into which you continually pour money", an excellent description!
Now you ask away, & we will try to answer!
blueskip

S

·
0 Posts
hello ive recently done up a wilson flyer im no expert but i can give you a few pointers.all depends how much youwant to spend.

if you have to re antifoul use a tie coat unless you know what the old antifoul was they can react badly to each other(sand antifoul in well vented area and where a mask the anti doesnt have to be a great finish as its under water most of the time find a af which suits what you need there are a few different types

dont go to mad sanding you dont want to remove gel coat you just need a key for the new paint

clean well before painting you can buy special cleaners not expencive

use a good undercoat and give it a couple of coats this will take any small impurities in the body work out use a compatable paint there are a few different types (two part and one part)

use a good quality top coat from a shop i bought some paint out of a paper it was like cottage cheese took me hours gettting it off again

preperation takes the time get this right and youll end up with a good finish
use 2 - 3 coats of everthing

read the tins and youll end up with a little beauty

dont use house gloss like the bloke who painted mine and brush out runs

its only a rough guide im sure others will give you more advice
good luck its worth it ;)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have no engine but the remotes are there,there are no electrics but switches for some.i want to use for fishing (no more than a mile out)what size engine would i need for 20mph on the water.there are no rowlocks but a couple of fold away oars.there is no battery,fuel tank,interior trim,exterior trim in 2 carrier bags.no anchor or chain.i would obviously take a rya course before even contemplating putting out to sea(i live in cornwall,so plenty available)how do you know what engine size your boat will safely take?i am beginning to think your description is very apt :eek:
blueskip said:
Gareth, any chance on giving us a clue on what you want to know! Let us see if we can get started, does it have an engine attached? If so what is the name of it, is it 2 stroke or 4 stroke? How fast do you want to go? how big an engine will it safely take? does it have an auxillary small engine? if not, do you have a set of oars (& rowlocks) in case the motor konks out on you! Do you have an anchor with chain (the same length as the boat) & rope (~ 3 times the depth you expect to anchor in) do you have a spare anchor in case you lose the first? Do you have flares, do you have a VHF radio (a hand held is cheap as chips & can save your a**e if you get into trouble). Do you have a compass & a chart of your local area & if so can you read it? If the fog came down could you relate your compass to your chart & find your way home.
I know it sounds a lot, & it sounds daunting, but these are the VERY BASICS you need to have & know, to be able to go afloat with confidence. I have'nt mentioned GPS, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguishers, radar reflectors, depth sounders/fish finders etc, etc, because some of them may be considered "optional extras".
As you can see, safe boating can involve a lot of kit, much of which can be obtained quite reasonably from Boat Jumbles, & via e-bay, but once you have started you will want more & more "gadgets".
A boat has been described as "a waterproof container, into which you continually pour money", an excellent description!
Now you ask away, & we will try to answer!
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
First thing, a speedboat is not designed for fishing, the hull shape is made for planing on the water not sitting at anchor. They have a small freeboard and the bigger you go on engine size the lower that freeboard will go. You have a small hull which, to me, is too small for open sea fishing unless it is absolutely flat calm and you can count those days on 1 hand. It is more suitable for estuarys and sheltered bays.

That is the negatives out of the way, I used to have a 12 foot boat when I was a kid and fished all sorts of places with it and had loads of fun. I would guess something like a 25hp engine would give you the speed you are after but get the lightest you can. Have a look at websites with new and used boats for sale with the same type of hull as you have and see what engines are fitted to them. You can get engines in that size that are either electric star or pull start. Pull start means you don't have the complication of batteries and wiring. You say you have remotes fitted but which type? Some cables pull the throttle and some push, get someone who knows boats to give it the once over. If you dont want the hassle of having to change the cables get an engine that is compatable with them.

Try the boat out, if you like it think about trading up to something a bit bigger. If there are any small boat clubs around your area join one, there is lots of help and information available there.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Gareth, I hope we haven't put you off boat owning already, but when I think of some of the "hairy" things I did in the past (without knowing any better), I cringe.
Good point from Chrisp about the remotes, take it to a chandler/boatyard & ask them look at them, cables for Mercury/Mariner, wont fit on Evinrude/OMC/Johnson, best to get a motor that fits your remotes.
20mph is getting quite a lick on in nautical terms, & unless its flat calm, you wont want to be giving it the "Full Monty", most of the time you will be "riding the swells" to stay dry, with a bit of chop on the water, "flat out" will see most of it in your lap!
25hp should be perfectly adequate for a 12' 6" speedboat, its probably a Fletcher or similar, they build them that size (usually plenty to be seen on e-bay boats & watercraft). Go for a pull start, batteries are a pain in a small boat, & get it serviced by a reputable mechanic before "The Big Day" so all goes off without a hitch.
A 2.5kg Bruce type anchor with 12ft of 6mm short link chain, & 100ft of 10/12mm polypropelene rope should be good enough for a basic handbrake to start. Dont worry about navigation lights or the like, get a good waterproof torch, a hand bilge pump (like a bicycle pump) is adequate & a comfort when you have the inevitable water splashing around in the bilge.
A lifejacket is a must, as are hand held flares, you can add to your "stash" as you go!
blueskip

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all who answered, you've certainly given me plenty to be getting on with and think about.i dare say i'll have more questions as i progress. i will probably do most of my fishing in and around fowey estuary and st austell bay where it is quite sheltered.thanks again. :)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am looking to buy a 15hp chrysler short shaft outboard is this suitable for my boat?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Gareth, you need to measure the transom of your boat (the back end) measure from the top (where the motor will sit) to the "V" at the lowest point, this will determine the length of shaft you require for your boat.
If the total length is 21.5" you need a LONG SHAFT, if its 15.5" you need a SHORT SHAFT!
If you put a short shaft engine on a long shaft transom it will cavitate like mad, (thrash a load of bubbles & nowt else) the shaft length of the engine needs to match the transom. Measure the engine from the the surface that sits on top of your transom, down to the top of the anti-cavitation plate (the fin directly above the propeller), if that is the same as the depth of your transom great!
If it is shorter, you have to cut your transom down to get the prop into clear water, NOT RECCOMENDED!
If the shaft length is longer than your transom, then you have to build your transom UP, so the top tip of the propeller is just below the "V" of the transom bottom.
If all this sounds like a chinese guard report, ask somebody who knows to measure your transom, & tell you what shaft length you need, as a consolation a 15hp sounds fine!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Don't buy Chrysler, they are obsolete. Parts are not easily avalable for them and when you do track them down you will pay a premium. :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Gareth

I have read through your posts, I have a question, you say it is a "speedboat". What does this mean?

I have a dory. A type of boat that some people call a speedboat.

My boat is only 13ft and I have a 30hp on it and it is underpowered. I can get 24 MPH out of her if I am by myself but add another adult and I can be down to 14 MPH and I need to keep her flat out (Full throttle) to maintain these speeds.

I am looking for a 40hp or 50hp engine at the moment so I can run at less than full throttle. This will also allow me to carry a heavier load and a spare engine without compromising performance.

Any chance of taking a picture of the boat and posting it up here so we can get an idea of shape and design?

Bob

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Stronsay, like you I have a 13ft dory (an orkney type) & like you my 25HP would get me around ok in calm conditions with 1 up, if it got "lumpy" or I had company it became a displacement hull! My solution, stick a 50HP Merc on the back, reinforce the transom with laminated oak boards & aluminium chequer plate inside & out, now Vrooooooooooooooooooooom!
blueskip

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like we have the same boat Blueskip. I spoke to Orkney Boats when I got the boat (At least 20 hand, with a very checkered history). They said although they didn't make that length of boat anymore. They remembered it being rated for between a 25 and 50 hp.

Bob

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
What is the story with "Dory" is it an actual manufacturer? I know there is a dellquay dory and an orkney dory are there more? Whats the difference between them? Are they still made?

Ryan

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been out in garage most of the day sanding down old paintwork (great job ) while i was there i measured boat as suggested by blueskip.The transom is 17 inches from top to the 'v' at the bottom. The bottom is flat for about 8 ft measured from back with 4 2inch ribs running to the back end.there is a well in the back of boat which is 23 inches across.the passenger compartment 47 inches wide at front and tapering to 42 inces at back and is 6ft in length and 28 inches deep. the more i look at pictures of speedboats on ebay the less its beginning to look like that kind of shape,looks like too much hull in the water and not a very deep V. it looks like a very old speedboat crossed with a launch. What have i bought?

S

·
0 Posts
hi gareth

just thought a couple of sites with good tips international paints web site and blakes paint web site

good luck :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe the original "Dories" were whaling boats (The ones they rowed and threw the harpoons from) with a flat bottoms for storing on the mother ship.

A man in America built the first modern dory. His boat was the 13ft Boston Whaler. He advertised them around the USA by sitting in his boat whilst it was cut in half by a large old fashioned two man saw. When the two parts of the boat parted company he just sat there smoking his pipe because the twin skin of the boat was fillied with foam (Something most of the copies still do today).

In this country Orkney Boats and Dell Quay are two of the most common copies

You can see lots of examples at the following web site:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/

Gareth, does your boat look like this:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage51.html

If so it is a dory and you will need a larger engine but you will have lots of fun with it. They are good all round boats, The square front end gives you lots of room. The trihederal hull makes a stable fishing platform (You can stand on the gunnels and not even come close to tipping it over) that coupled with the right engine has the performance of a speed boat.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no its not like those.the front end (1/3 ) is similar to a fletcher speedboat but remaining 2/3 is a similar to a dory but with a much flatter bottom,underneath the the transom is almost horizontal.one other thing do i need a long or short shaft motor with my length of transom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts