World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,615 Posts
Well id say allot is to do with luck so far this year. In the coming month or so peeler crab will really take off as a bait and will catch you most species. Flatties will start to increase in numbers in the rivers and you should have some great sport to come and not have to worry about getting cold lol. Unfortunately this time of the year is pretty bad as the winter species move out to sea and the summer fish move in. All I can say is don’t sicken yourself as the summer fishing is great and just round the corner. I’ve only fished a year and its amazing what you will learn if you stick in at it not to forget all the fun to be had along the way. Hope this helps

· Registered
747 Posts
laura this part of the year is poor for fishing you do get the odd good fish. i would stick with fish baits on scratching rigs for now until summer is with us. then you can start using crab baits and that i also find sandeel are a good bait in the summer months for rays and that. it really does depend thou were you fish??? but stick with it. dont be affraid to ask people when your out fishing for sum tips and local knowledge is a must. you will also pick up loads of tips off this forum. dont be affraid to ask. loads and loads of knowledge on the forum.

· Registered
2,522 Posts
i would say to find a decent local fishing shop. any shop worth there salt will give you all the info and bait tips you will need.

it's good to see another female come into the sport, another one to kick us lads a*ses. LOL.

· Registered
3,328 Posts
as im not familiar with your area, my advise would be to ask as many anglers that you bump into what bait,rigs and times to fish, species you are likely to catch...etc
you cant go far wrong with pulley rigs size 3/0 hooks loaded up with mackie, squid and sand eel for this time of year. also it never hurts to have a pack of rag.:)

· Registered
1,949 Posts
Try and find out when and where the local matches are held. Wander along and make a note of the rigs,baits and distance etc that the local lads use.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, most anglers are willing to explain what they are doing and why, and the info you get will save you hours of wasted time in the future.

Best of Luck

Raider

· Registered
61 Posts
Congratulations - well done on your first fish.
- there may well be days ahead with no bites or fish but stick at it and i'm sure you will enjoy it -
To start off keep things simple.

Mackerel will catch just about any fish that swims, large or small. cut a fillet into small strips and hook them once so they flap about (like a small fish swimming). Can be frozen too - I always have 'take-away meal' tub full of strips in the freezer for spur of the moment trips. Squid is ok too and can be treated the same.

Worm and crab baits can be deadly but require skill in presentation - that'll come with practice - and are best fresh (so ok if you have a great source)

Try to find out some local knowledge (ie. where to fish, what tide times and what fish you can expect) - if you have a local tackle shop they'll be a great source of info.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Laura,
All the advice posted so far is good sound advice. Just to add my 2 pence worth....

1. Joining a club is very beneficial. You will get loads of info and tips on local marks , rigs to use, bait, fish to target, tuition, and casting advice, etc etc....and to cap it all there will always be someone up for a session.

2. The local tackle shop is always a good source of local info.

3. Always find out about the mark you intend to fish. This will dictate what type of bait you will need to target the fish you are after.

Of course one of the really cool things regards fishing is the never knowing what will swim by you.

With a good selection of bait and the right information....you will increase your chances of catching quite considerably....however...there is always an element of luck involved.

Good luck for the future and tight lines.:)

· Registered
12,414 Posts
as im not familiar with your area, my advise would be to ask as many anglers that you bump into what bait,rigs and times to fish, species you are likely to catch...etc
you cant go far wrong with pulley rigs size 3/0 hooks loaded up with mackie, squid and sand eel for this time of year. also it never hurts to have a pack of rag.:)
she will be mainly fishing the rivers and estuaries on the northeast coast so a 3/0 for rays aint going to happen. she will do well to get undersize coalies, cod and flounders at the moment and through the summer until the mackerel arrive.

laura if you can pm me your address [ with your parents permision]
i, ll send you a couple of ben,s secret rigs. then watch you beat your dad.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
she will be mainly fishing the rivers and estuaries on the northeast coast so a 3/0 for rays aint going to happen. she will do well to get undersize coalies, cod and flounders at the moment and through the summer until the mackerel arrive.

laura if you can pm me your address [ with your parents permision]
i, ll send you a couple of ben,s secret rigs. then watch you beat your dad.

Laura,take Bills advice,use his rigs as loads on here do,and you will catch fish,Bill knows how,when and where the fish will be

· Registered
280 Posts
No problem with the permission Bill, I'll tell her it's ok to pm you. As long as someone's catching when I go fishing I'm happy, though I like it more when it's me!

Tight lines,

Geoff

· Registered
280 Posts
I've only been back fishing for about a year and a half after a thirty year break (I went with my Dad a few times in my teens) and would consider myself an advanced beginner now, so any help with Laura's training is really appreciated.
With more practice and if she gets over her squeamishness when handling bait and fish I think she could probably beat me regularly, especially with Bill's guidance.

Tight lines,

Geoff

· Registered
133 Posts
keep trying. and if theres somthing you aint sure about.....ask.
Fresh Bait RULES.
Check out this site as oftern as pos', most people are only to glad to tell you where and whats catching

and remember, theres no such thing as a bad days fishing
:p

· Registered
44 Posts
it really depends what your fishing for... say you want flatties you could use black lug or lazy lug?for cod you could use peeler crab ?flounders take maddies ?or if your looking for a favourite bait mine is squid as you can get anything with it! ive caught doggies blonde rays thornbacks and smoothounds??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.