World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to fishing, and this is by far the best site I have been on. So far I have been out four times, Sully Island x2, Penarth Pier, and Swanbridge beach. Caught a small Bass on my first ever cast (!) but nothing since. I'm just enjoying the learning experience, and everyone has been really helpful.

I am going fishing tomorrow morning with my 4 year old son, and wanted some advice. High tide in Cardiff is at 10:04, so we aim to start at about 8:30-9:00. The question is, where should we go? We live in Cardiff.

We were advised than Ranny Bay would be the best bet tomorrow as it is a small tide, but is this safe for children? Any other advice would be much appreciated. It would be great to catch anything even doggies. Other places I am considering are Penarth Pier, St Mary's Well Bay, and Cardiff foreshore.

Also are Rag and squid a good bait for fishing for anthing this time of year?

Cheers,

Bud

·
Registered
76 Posts
captainbud said:
Hi all,

I am new to fishing, and this is by far the best site I have been on. So far I have been out four times, Sully Island x2, Penarth Pier, and Swanbridge beach. Caught a small Bass on my first ever cast (!) but nothing since. I'm just enjoying the learning experience, and everyone has been really helpful.

I am going fishing tomorrow morning with my 4 year old son, and wanted some advice. High tide in Cardiff is at 10:04, so we aim to start at about 8:30-9:00. The question is, where should we go? We live in Cardiff.

We were advised than Ranny Bay would be the best bet tomorrow as it is a small tide, but is this safe for chi
Cheers,

Bud
hi there just 2 say the ranny pool is a rocky mark not really for young ones, as access to the beach is via the steps down the cliff top which is steep and slippery or a long walk from marconi point, coldknap and jacksons bay are good clean beaches and produce some decent fish this time of year.try to get sandeels and squid maybe mackrel. good luck bud.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Bud,

I fished the Knap on Tuesday and we had lots of doggies. The baits that did the business were mackeral and sandeel.

The knap offers parking close to the beach and will probably be one of the easiest venues to fish with your son in tow!

Also there seems to be quite a few fish being caught (although mainly doggies) from this area.

It should give you some sport and hopefully you won't blank!! :rolleyes:

Tight lines

Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the advice! It looks like we will be taking a trip to Cold Knapp on Saturday with Squid, sandeel and Mackrel.

My boy would be just as happy catching doggies as Bass. :D

Cheers,

Bud

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
captainbud, nice to see you are taking the youngster with you, 4 yrs old eay, thats the way, hope he enjoys it, i am sure you will be fine with the advice from the lads here,saturday may be a bit packed in places, so just find a tidy spot and get fishing, and stay away from me, cos i a blanker. hee hee, have a good 1 m8........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have taken him out twice so far and he loves it. He's got quite an attention span for a 4 year old, and doesn't stop asking questions. I bought him a £15 rod and reel from Lidl, and he thinks it's the coolest thing ever. Probably snap the first time he catches a fish, but a good start.

I just hope he catches something to tell his mates about, it would make his week!

Cheers,

Bud

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
if it snaps, it will upset him, but dads always there to buy him another, cos dad will be upset 2, haahaa. i,m sure he will love it. it was nice 1st time i started takin my son, his face on his 1st fish, never 4get it, lit up it did. and then the cheeky grin, hes 18 now, but now the 8yr old is nagging, so i guess i better start again, plenty of gear here thow, so no need to buy any. thank gorrrd........

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i still give a cheeky grin when i catch a fish..

unfortunatly ,,my boys dont give a toss about fishing ,,they like playstations and xbox's

But the missus enjoys to grab a rod from time to time..just to see what she can pull in..

She dont like the mess on er hands though,,,,

always uses baby wipes,,,makes me look like a poof...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
737 Posts
hi bud
welcome to a great site .as for this weekend if i was you i would take your son down to cold knap in barry ,plenty of dogfish and pout.just get some mackie and a couple of quids worth of worm and your away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

Cheers for all the good advice, it is much appreciated! Fished Cold Knapp as planned, 1 hour up and 2 hours down. Caught 2 doggies, but probably could have caught more if I were a better fisherman, as there were quite a few bites around the turn of the tide.

My boy was chuffed to bits about the fish, I don't think I've ever seen him so excited. I know they are only Dogfish, but a catch is a catch. He loved watching the planes taking off from the airport too!

Cheers,

Bud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts