World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have been coarse fishing with my dad a few times a year since i was 12 but starting to get fed up with all the matches that are on the lakes every time we go so thought would try sea and beach fishing and seeing as i am going to perranporth for a long weekend with the wife and kid thought be a nice time to have ago but as have never done it before would my carp kit be ok for the task and is there any place down there that can book a begginers session with a instructor to show me the ropes
many thanks
kris

·
Registered
692 Posts
hi i have been coarse fishing with my dad a few times a year since i was 12 but starting to get fed up with all the matches that are on the lakes every time we go so thought would try sea and beach fishing and seeing as i am going to perranporth for a long weekend with the wife and kid thought be a nice time to have ago but as have never done it before would my carp kit be ok for the task and is there any place down there that can book a begginers session with a instructor to show me the ropes
many thanks
kris
Hi wipfler, welcome to the forum and more importantly; sea fishing! There are others on here who will be better suited to helping you out with the area you are going to be fishing but you should be fine with your carp gear as a starter.

Simply up your line breaking strain to anywhere from 10 - 15 lbs and get a nice sized float head off the rocks and use a very simple single hook size 2 - 1/0 with a drilled bullet about 2ft up from it. stick some ragworm on it or buy mackerel and slice into thin strips then hook that lightly and you'll be into wrasse and pollock before you know it. Your float fishing skills from coarse fishing should set you up well in terms of finding depth etc. Just remember the sea moves a lot and rocks can be dangerous so post for advice in the regional section of this forum on a beginner rock mark.

You could also try a spot of bass fishing too, us a running ledger with a larger 3/0 hook and some fresh lugworm (all bait can be bought in tackle shops - who will also give you advice on local marks and methods). Head down to a beach that holds gullies and maybe a few rocks too us a 3 - 4oz weight and chuck it out into the third line of breakers (waves) fish 2 hours either side of low or high and who knows your first fish could be a hard fighting bass! You may also catch a dogfish; which you will learn to love... Not.

In terms of handling fish; bass and wrasse have spines on their dorsal fins so hold them with a wet towel when unhooking, dogfish have sandpaper like skin, the easiest way to unhook them is to bring the tail up to the head, hold both the tail and head with one hand firmly and unhook with the other. Anyway, that's maybe too much info to be getting on with. Most importantly, enjoy it and let us know how you get on! P.S. look up local minimum landing sizes if you want to keep any for the plate. :thumbs:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi wipfler744, welcome to sea fishing, cant add a lot to tombo80's post, there is enough in there to be going on with, if you go bassing the legal limit here is 37.5cm and you can catch bass off the beach at perranporth so have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts