World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new to this and just acquired the above reel. Can someone describe the line tension set up please. It seems to me that with the star drag locked up tight I can still pull line of the spool with some strength where I’d expect it to break before letting off line with it locked up hard .

can anyone describe the set up with left and right controls and the star drag please

·
Registered
450 Posts
might need new drag washers mate, you can get them on ebay, cheap as chips. left and right controls are for centering the spool though i do know on the turbo version the left hand side one (not handle side) is described as a mechanical brake.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm not certain what the drag rating is for the 7HT - perhaps someone more knowledgeable does? But I can't imagine it would be more than 8kg or so - the drag washers are pretty small after all. I upgraded the ones in my original 7HT mags to the carbontex versions but would imagine that I could pull the 0.35mm line they're loaded with and they would give line before it broke. That's the whole point of the drag after all...so that your line doesn't break when bringing in fish.

If however it's giving line rather easily then it could be that washers are worn / missing / damaged - you never know if it's a second hand reel. I'd start by checking them - give them a clean, light greasing then reassemble, or if they are older felt ones or whatever look to replace with some carbon ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks. Where are the washers please. I’ve seen the metal discs in the knurled knob is that what you mean.
I’m a coarse fisherman and I’m just thinking that if I get hooked up and am pulling for a break and it doesn’t break that would be an issue . I get your point though maybe I’m expecting too much by pulling on the leader .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Unfortunately you'll have to disassemble the reel to gain access to the drag assembly - it's under the handle inside the gearbox end of the reel. Can be a bit daunting if you've never done it before - maybe a job for a tackle shop or local reel-doctor if you don't fancy it! However, most multi's aren't that difficult to strip down & 7HT's in particular are pretty straightforward and if you're good with these kind of things it's just a case of being methodical and careful when taking apart & laying out in such a way that you can remember how to put back together! Also worth maybe having a search on You Tube for there are many tutorials on stripping & servicing many reels - I'm sure there'll be something on the 7HT.

image_redirect.php.jpeg

Here's an image of the inside of the 7HT - the drag washers are located inside the big gear on the shaft to the left of the picture, they are interspersed with metal ones. Here's a link to the schematic for the reel which might be useful if you don't have one:

https://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_Millionaire_7HT.pdf

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
204 Posts
What ever you do Do not pull out of a snag using the reel you will fatally damage the reel!! ,point the rod at the snag wrap the line around your coat arm or use a glove or a towel around your hand and walk slowly backwards till it pulls out or line snaps, can easily bend spool spindle pulling on reel, regards drag washers get carbontex ones from blakdog on here,big improvement over standard.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
The first thing id do is get replacement drag washers from Blakdog, I do this with every reel I buy second hand.as most of them are work and tend to slip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts