World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im am relitivly new to the art of using multipliers. i got myself 2 cheap fladen baitcast ones. they have no brakes or level winds etc. ive tightened them up a lot and i am ok with them during daylight hours, but struggle at night with them. does anyone know of the abu 6500 range, including the mag elites, my tackle shop says these are the best for beginers, and pro fishermen alike...or are they just pushing for a sale?he also said the fladen ones are a good starter, but i have since found out otherwise. any comments will be appreciated :)

G

·
i prefer the abu mag reels but the daiwa 7ht when set up properly can sling a lead without frapping up check around 7ht`s can be had for 69 quid thru traders in the monthly comics

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) thank mate, i will broaden my horizons :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Chesilmaster,i was given some good advice from an unbiased casting instructor from your area when changing from fixed spool to multi

"Go for a mag elite and you wont go too far wrong,ditch the brake blocks and just use the mag brakes,set the spool with just a hint of side to side play,set the mags on half to start with and adjust as you feel more confident"

Good advice,i never looked back

Did you go to the charity match,if you did you probably met the casting instructer as he was fishing close to Barry

·
Registered
465 Posts
Chesilmaster, Get a mag elite ct, load it with about 180yds of 0.45 diamiter line. Make sure you have the both brake blocks in, set the mag brakes to max and off you go. Cast up! not out and i guarantee you wont have any problems. Set up like this the switch from fixed to multi is a piece of cake, you wont look back.

All the best Ryan. :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
got to go for the daiwa 7ht as well.its a casters dream. i have a slosh which is good over rough ground but no matter what i do it seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to birdsnests.i allso have a abu7000 with the level wind which i can chuck a big bait around 70 yards ,the levelwind helps alot a night if your new to them as you dont need to lay the line. i would stay away from the cheaper ones as they cause more problems than there worth and i went through a few in the early days and for a while i thought about going back to the fixed spool,one last thing i have only been using them for about a year now and i dont have to look anymore to lay the line ,so you will get used to them m8 hope that helps :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
My vote must go to the Daiwa 7ht Millionaire if you are new to multipliers, a good selection of differing size blocks to slow it all down. Failing that, the Abu 6500 sportsmag is a slow reel and easy to get on with, has the added advantage of having brakes and magnets.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
before you go spending more money try putting the thickest oil you can find in the bearings i use 90 grade gearbox oil and slightly slacken off the end thumb screw so that you can just feel some play. this will calm the wildest of reels . if you have to spend on a new reel , buying a small abu will limit your venue options. a penn 525 mag will alow you to fish rough or clean groundwith 20lb line and cast as far as all of the abus.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Here we go again, I wll give Ryan my backing 100%. If you are using it for the first trip then I would clean out the bearings and add a drop of thick engine oil.

When you have mastered the reel clean out the bearings again and oil with the oil that came with the reel.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
while there are many people who still love their old 7hts , they have probably had them for a while, this style of reel is now outdated. whichever reel you decide on you must go for one with magnets. you wont see many top match anglers without mag reels for a good reason unless they are still happy with their old 7ht

·
Registered
297 Posts
try abu 65s the newer ones have mag brakes as well. been using abus for 23,years great reels

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:D thank you all for your advice. does anyone know the price range for the mag elites and the penns. cheers again. matt :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ches??

Check out the Magazines

Cheers

Drew

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just put in a bid on ebay for a mag elite......please don't outbid me lads...........pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sports mag mate Im not a beginer but i do lurvvvvvvvvvvv this reel for control theres one on ebay for about £ 27 biding price yest very good caster even with the level wind.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts