World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed from Fly fishing to sea fishing this year, bought a boat and fishing out of Pwllhelli when I can, I have found a few Bream spots but l;ooking for advise on Bass, Any one out there who fishing this area and can help ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Shropfisher, exactly the same as you, I live in shropshire and want to move from fly fishing to sea fishing as well! I'm wanting to start beach fishing but dont have the best knowledge. I used to do a lot of pier and boat fishing as a child as I was brought up by the sea, I still miss it after 12 years in Shrewsbury! Best of luck with the boat, I'm off the the Lleyn Peninsular tomorrow to start my beach career!
Whereabouts in Shropshire do you live?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I can help you with bass marks around Anglesey and the north side of the peninsular but have never fished the south side for them. Looking at the chart Sarn Badrig looks favourite.

If you want to fish this side let me know, we will arrange a meet and I can show you where and tell you how.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ChrisP said:
I can help you with bass marks around Anglesey and the north side of the peninsular but have never fished the south side for them. Looking at the chart Sarn Badrig looks favourite.

If you want to fish this side let me know, we will arrange a meet and I can show you where and tell you how.

can i come aswell :) ...i really need to know the basics when it comes to beach fishing ...

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Anyone welcome but I only do boat fishing. I have all the wrecks, holes and reefs on the GPS within 40 mile radius of Caernarfon. You are welcome to them all but on 1 condition. If I don't know you I insist on seeing you with a boat and rods. I live a half mile from the slipway at Ronnies (boatlaunch.co.uk for directions) so you are not going out of your way if you want to fish these marks. The marks have been built up over 38 years of fishing the area so I only want them to go to genuine anglers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ChrisP said:
Anyone welcome but I only do boat fishing. I have all the wrecks, holes and reefs on the GPS within 40 mile radius of Caernarfon. You are welcome to them all but on 1 condition. If I don't know you I insist on seeing you with a boat and rods. I live a half mile from the slipway at Ronnies (boatlaunch.co.uk for directions) so you are not going out of your way if you want to fish these marks. The marks have been built up over 38 years of fishing the area so I only want them to go to genuine anglers.

ok then mate i thought you ment to meet up for a beach fishing trip my mistake.....and sorry for highjacking Shropfishers thread

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fisher_Nick said:
More bass seem to be caught close in, although i haven't do any serious boat fishing in that area, however some are being caught on the barmouth - llanbedr side of the bay.
is this the shropshire appreciation thread :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks that way! Are you interested in meeting up for a beach fishing day? I asked the man in the fishing shop in Shrewsbury if there were ever beach fishing trips made by Shropshire groups, he said he didnt think so...

·
Registered
74 Posts
weener said:
Looks that way! Are you interested in meeting up for a beach fishing day? I asked the man in the fishing shop in Shrewsbury if there were ever beach fishing trips made by Shropshire groups, he said he didnt think so...
yeh deffo mate .....not that clued up on beach fishing what i mainly do is go across to borth and spin for bass ....but I'm want to learn more about general beach fishing

·
Registered
12 Posts
derby4life said:
yeh deffo mate .....not that clued up on beach fishing what i mainly do is go across to borth and spin for bass ....but I'm want to learn more about general beach fishing
I'm a pretty much novice as well! I've just sorted myself out with a beach caster and multiplier and am off, tomorrow, to the Lleyn Peninsular. I'm going to try Porth Ceireiad, Porth Oer and maybe Trefor of Nefyn. If you'd like to go off for a bash in the next couple of weeks, PM me and we'll sort it out!

·
Registered
74 Posts
weener said:
I'm a pretty much novice as well! I've just sorted myself out with a beach caster and multiplier and am off, tomorrow, to the Lleyn Peninsular. I'm going to try Porth Ceireiad, Porth Oer and maybe Trefor of Nefyn. If you'd like to go off for a bash in the next couple of weeks, PM me and we'll sort it out!
ok mate will do ...fished of trefor on sunday in a boat ....loads of fish :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm from Shrewsbury n all. Will keep checking on here to see if any trips are planned. Not done a lot of fishing other than in Scotland to be honest, would love to try wales

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Ok, I live in Telford and fish the Menai Straits mainly because that's where I was brought up (Menai Bridge). Most of my trips involve visiting my old mam so making dates to fish is difficult as the family have to see her along with me. However, if I'm about, and fishing you're welcome to come along. I'm no expert but perhaps have a few wrinkles.

Otherwise my advice is to visit Malcom at the Anglesey Bait Co. at Gallows Point near Beaumaris. He knows the marks and hears about the catches. Anglesey has all forms of beach/rock fishing so you can learn to fish/cast on clean beaches before tackling the more demanding kelpy stuff which also abounds. Malc will point you in the direction of suitable beaches and rock marks. Expect to find him in his shop in the afternoons until very late, particularly weekends.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the responses guys, I was out yesterday, fishing 3 areas of rough ground, fish finder showed loads of fish, but I suspect they were small Pollock, no Bream making a showing for any one, A few gurnard but no Bream or Bass, even the mackeral were shy, I live in Shrewsbury and my boat is stored at the harbour, launched and retrieved by Ian Russel, great service but limits me to that area, is there a similar service the other side of the penninsular ? Pwhelli is 24 access which makes life easy.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ChrisP said:
I would be interested in knowingh about Mariners, mooring etc in your area, can you help, my boat is a 6.1 metre Ocquetea.

·
Registered
74 Posts
swelleyman said:
Ok, I live in Telford and fish the Menai Straits mainly because that's where I was brought up (Menai Bridge). Most of my trips involve visiting my old mam so making dates to fish is difficult as the family have to see her along with me. However, if I'm about, and fishing you're welcome to come along. I'm no expert but perhaps have a few wrinkles.

Otherwise my advice is to visit Malcom at the Anglesey Bait Co. at Gallows Point near Beaumaris. He knows the marks and hears about the catches. Anglesey has all forms of beach/rock fishing so you can learn to fish/cast on clean beaches before tackling the more demanding kelpy stuff which also abounds. Malc will point you in the direction of suitable beaches and rock marks. Expect to find him in his shop in the afternoons until very late, particularly weekends.

I'd like to fish the straits...mainly because of a book Ibought last year ......hooked on bass ...by Alan Vaughan & Mike Ladle ,.....they seem to love to the straits and swear by it so wI will have to make a trip out to it and fish

I'm from Shrewsbury aswell but currently live near Ellesmere

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The waiting lists at Caernarfon and Port Dinorwic marinas are about 2 years. However swinging moorings are available at Belan Fort 01286830220 ask for Chris, (no relation Website http://www.fortbelan.co.uk/). These are the only vacant moorings to my knowledge.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ChrisP said:
The waiting lists at Caernarfon and Port Dinorwic marinas are about 2 years. However swinging moorings are available at Belan Fort 01286830220 ask for Chris, (no relation Website http://www.fortbelan.co.uk/). These are the only vacant moorings to my knowledge.
Thanks Chris, Pwhelli is 6 year waiting so 2 aint bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts