World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, sorry if this has been asked alot but im after a rod and reel to get me started sea fishing, mainly from Brighton beach and peir or shoreham. Didn't what to go to much over £150 for road and reel if I can help it. I do fish for catfish, carp and pike so have lots of rods and reels but not sure any would be good for sea fishing? What would be the difference between big pit carp reel and sea reel?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Heya, if you want advice on general sea fishing I’d post in the general sea fishing discussion list. But I can help you a bit with bait and a lot with lures...

A big pit carp reel will work fine, the main difference between that and a sea reel being that some sea reels (Penn, Daiwa etc.) have sealed gears that protect the gearing from corrosion. They’ll typically last a bit longer... The Penn battle or Daiwa BG are around the £60-70 price range.

What tackle do you have?

For lures for heavier lure fishing a stiff 20-80g plus spinning rod and reel setup(preferably sealed gearing) will do just fine. Lighter weights for lrf

For bait a fairly heavy carp rod will suffice but I’d recommend getting a sea rod. I can’t help so much with specific recommendations but try on the general sea fishing section and the classifieds for luck.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Hi I fish Brighton area and hove , your big pit reel be ok with 15lb line and a70lb leader ,go take a look at hove lagoon bait n tackle ,Brett will sort you out with a rod in that price range ,best of luck n injoy

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Get yourself an Okuma distance reel in the 60 size for around 30-50 quid depending on the model. Reliable and competent reels. As for the rod, you could do a lot worse than the Daiwa Moonraker FS that's being advertised in the classifieds. That will get you fishing to a decent standard with plenty of money left over for line, shockleader, hooks etc. If you want some rigs to get you started PM me your contact details and I'll send a few rigs in the post when I get a chance to tie them.

All the best,
Si

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for replys. I have a pair of Penn affinity LTD 7000 and a Penn slammer 760 that I forgot I had. Thanks for all advice I will have a look into those rods and reels.

How do I find the classified section with daiwa Moonraker rods?

·
Registered
16,371 Posts
Thanks for replys. I have a pair of Penn affinity LTD 7000 and a Penn slammer 760 that I forgot I had. Thanks for all advice I will have a look into those rods and reels.

You have to have been a member for 60 days and have 30 posts

·
Registered
8,896 Posts

you can't atmo as just joined need to be on for a certain time and 35 posts?

Those reels will be fine for now just make sure oil bail rollers and wipe reel over with an oily rag sort of thing.Handles on them love a corrode!
Load up with something like Daiwa J braids .24'ish either tapered mono leader or braid around 80lb odd.
What test curve your rods? 2.75 can use 2oz.3lb plus is better though 3oz odd good for hounds atmo can fish plain lead for them or plaice tide dependant?

Find yourself a Budget for rod etc There is a Shakespeare 16ft k2 on here(you can't see yet)can head them your way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can't atmo as just joined need to be on for a certain time and 35 posts?

Those reels will be fine for now just make sure oil bail rollers and wipe reel over with an oily rag sort of thing.Handles on them love a corrode!
Load up with something like Daiwa J braids .24'ish either tapered mono leader or braid around 80lb odd.
What test curve your rods? 2.75 can use 2oz.3lb plus is better though 3oz odd good for hounds atmo can fish plain lead for them or plaice tide dependant?

Find yourself a Budget for rod etc There is a Shakespeare 16ft k2 on here(you can't see yet)can head them your way

I have 2 dawia black widow 3.25lb 12ft roads and a fox spod road 5.5lb 12ft, not sure if these cold be used?

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
I have 2 dawia black widow 3.25lb 12ft roads and a fox spod road 5.5lb 12ft, not sure if these cold be used?
There not bad won't show much in way of bites though unless dragging it down the beach!:eek::happy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts