World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all of you.im new to all this have not fished for about 20yrs started again about a month ago beach fishing off chesil at wyke regis.now have the chance to buy a 14-16ft dingy with small outboard so any advice about small boat fishing would be most welcome :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thats a rather vague question..What kind of things are you wanting to know about small boat fishing?

Baits/Tactics/Marks etc...so much information

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Skip

Take a good look through all the past posts in the boat section and you will find lots of info.

1 piece of advice if your new to boating is to take an RYA course, and visit your nearest RNLI centre to have your boat safety check.

Best of

GB

G

·
Great to see you want to go boating!

Theres nothing really wrong with a 14 - 16 boat as long as its in good condition and you have all the safety gear.

Great tip above - get it checked by the experts first! invaluable.

However, one thing you must always - always remember and I keep telling people on my boat.

NEVER EVER let the anchor come in contact with anything other than the front of the boat.

The tide, no matter how small can pull you down quicker then yo can think why if it is on the side or worst still the stern, and floatation tanks and the like wont help either.

And no matter what safety gear you have, radio, flares etc you will not even have chance to reach it - or your life jacket, believe me i've seen it happen, albeit here in the bristol channel where the tides are very strong.

Please though don't forget all the other things you need to do before actually launching, more this is a tip for when you are actually out there.

Sorry to go on but it is usually the one thing that even experienced small ;) boaters forget.

Happy boating, give it a go, i'm sure you will love it and wont look back. I've been out there for the last 23 years and would not give it up for anything.

Poppajoe (steve)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
hello mate, i have just bought a small 12' and already have most of the basics but i have no more knowledge than you really. but the advice i got was good.
flares
vhf radio
life jacket
tell someone of your estimated return time
keep as in shore as you can
and do not go thinking that you can handle a bit of wind, be careful and if you think it is too dodgy, then it is.
don,t go on your own would be a good one.
i can't wait to get mine on the water and if you want somewhere safe to start then ringstead beach is bloody good.
as for actually fishing mate, won't know till i start on my own but i will definately have it in poole harbour for the flounder and portland harbour has some good bass marks i hear. chrisP IS A MINE OF INFO AND VERY HELPFULL.
please mate let me know how you get on as i will be very interested as we both have lots to learn. and if you fancy beach fishing let me know. chesil tomorrow :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hi Skipjack and welcome to the mad house.

I have owned my own boat for 38 years and loved every minute of it. There is nothing to beat going out, picking your mark and catching, sod the cost. If money was the ruler let someone else take you on a charter, it is cheaper by a long way but the buzz is not the same.

You have had some spot on advice allready, you need anymore all you have to do is ask, don't be ashamed cos you think it is too simple. If you think it is too rough, it is. If you think you are too far out, you are. What I am saying is trust your instincts, listen to your head and you will not go far wrong. The sea is the most powerfull force on earth, you can only go with it, never against.

Join a small boat angling club, the advice and help youwill get are priceless. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

G

·
ian houlton said:
wish you were around the other day when i asked the same Qs mate :)
Sorry I was not around but if I can help please ask anything - I will do my best.

I live in Barry, have owned a boat for years and still have mine on a mooring.

Not a proffesional by any means and I learn every time I go out but the Bristol channel is a harsh place to be a boater and I see so many horror sites out ther especially when people are after the famous south wales cod around my area in winter - some nutters in what can only be described as baths and with no engine but oars - yes oars in a 7 knot tide!

By the way you are obviuosly a regular and popular guy on here - read much about you, and please move to wales, you will never regret it m8

Poppajoe (steve) ;)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i won't regret it. but wales may :D
skip jack mate, just one thing that has dawned on me since chris got me into owning a boat.
think about where we live, if you take a small boat out of west bay for example.
you have got 18 miles of chesil beach to look forward to if you break down. so unless you have a lot of fuel and a spare engine you would be well buggered because although you COULD MAYBE drift onto the beach to jump off, you will never get your boat out will you with waves dumping the way they do.
i will only use mine initially inside the reef at ringstead and when i am confident i will be going out of weymouth and never go round portland as even chrisP's boat would find it hard there. and there are far more boats east of weymouth to help if you need it.
good luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts