World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello chaps am after some advice please.
am just getting back into sea fishing after almost 35yr break. i have my 2 beachcasters which at the mo are been used on beach and piers. i quite fancy trying my hand at spinning with a plug or popper or dexter wedge type thing :) i would like some advice on a cheap rod to try out that won't break the bank or snap if it gets a fish.
was looking at ron thomson and shakspear but am not sure what length i should get or what rod..ie spin/bass/flattie etc.
i would be pairing the rod with a grauvell z5000 fixed reel, the reel has 2 spool 1 has 20lb line the other 15lb line was keeping the 20lb spool for pier work. will 15lb line be ok for using popper/plug/wedge ?
also while i think on when using a plug/popper is it just a case of tying it on the end and slinging it out and retrieving at different speeds ?

many thanks in advance all advice appreciated

as an after thought would one of my old shakespear carp rod be upto the job ? i think its 3piece 12ft

·
Registered
47 Posts
i use a 10ft penn powerstix spinning rod at less than £80 for rod and reel doesn't break the bank and am getting close to triple figures for bass this season on this setup. however the rod is a little soft. I always use 15lb line. just make sure the drag is set for when that big one takes. as for tying lures, put an american snap swivel on the end of your line, this will make changing your lures alot easier. hope some of this helps

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i use a 10ft penn powerstix spinning rod at less than £80 for rod and reel doesn't break the bank and am getting close to triple figures for bass this season on this setup. however the rod is a little soft. I always use 15lb line. just make sure the drag is set for when that big one takes. as for tying lures, put an american snap swivel on the end of your line, this will make changing your lures alot easier. hope some of this helps
thanks buddy

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Look at the Surespin range - siperb rods. I use the 11ft which can double as a light estuary rod up to 2oz. Try 30lb braid on your reel, much better than momo, IMO.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Nout wrong with a carp rod, beats trying to wang out with a beach caster to see if spinning is for you. In fact my fav spin rod is a 2.75 Wychwood carp rod which also doubles up for light work such as flatty and bassin, I have 3 other bass rods ! The fish don't know what your holding, if the tackles matched to your breaking strain and lure weights, no problem, if its not, well handlines work ?

The funny thin about spinning, is you can be casting all day long to the horizon, changing every weight, colour spinner and plug in your armory, only to muck a cast up fling it off to the left or right horizontal to the shore line and hook up just what you dreamt of !

On many occasions I have caught literally under my feet, when other are ripping their lure from the water 20 out with fishes mouths agape ! This is particularly relevant with piking and in MHO schoolie bass who will follow the lure.

Moral of the story ? Be methodical in covering an area if it don't happen, MOVE. Cast as if you were a clock, aim at 9pm cast long, reel in in different speeds to cover all depths of the water ( lure specific, a surface popper wont dive ! ) , move the rod to make the lure come alive. Then try a short cast to the same direction, then 10pm, 11pm, 12pm, 1am, 2am etc etc.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nout wrong with a carp rod, beats trying to wang out with a beach caster to see if spinning is for you. In fact my fav spin rod is a 2.75 Wychwood carp rod which also doubles up for light work such as flatty and bassin, I have 3 other bass rods ! The fish don't know what your holding, if the tackles matched to your breaking strain and lure weights, no problem, if its not, well handlines work ?

The funny thin about spinning, is you can be casting all day long to the horizon, changing every weight, colour spinner and plug in your armory, only to muck a cast up fling it off to the left or right horizontal to the shore line and hook up just what you dreamt of !

On many occasions I have caught literally under my feet, when other are ripping their lure from the water 20 out with fishes mouths agape ! This is particularly relevant with piking and in MHO schoolie bass who will follow the lure.

Moral of the story ? Be methodical in covering an area if it don't happen, MOVE. Cast as if you were a clock, aim at 9pm cast long, reel in in different speeds to cover all depths of the water ( lure specific, a surface popper wont dive ! ) , move the rod to make the lure come alive. Then try a short cast to the same direction, then 10pm, 11pm, 12pm, 1am, 2am etc etc.
many thanks just the kind of advice i was after. now from a novices angle what is best to start with spinner or plugs? the area i am thinking of trying is relativly shallow so a surface plug would be best i think

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
many thanks just the kind of advice i was after. now from a novices angle what is best to start with spinner or plugs? the area i am thinking of trying is relativly shallow so a surface plug would be best i think
Spinners are cheaper than most plugs. They are also a bit less selective. You can expect Mackerel, Pollack, Bass etc on spinners. They can be fished over shallow ground with care. Spinning would be the best way to get a feel for lure fishing, just to open your account with a few Mackerel, Pollack and maybe even some bass! Plugs are generally more selective for Bass, and are the most commonly used lure for most Bass fishermen. Shallow divers are a good place to start, with the newer plugs such as Maria's and Tide Minnows diving to only a foot or so, enabling them to be fished over shallow snaggy ground. Working a surface lure effectively requires some experience, so practice hard and read some previous threads about 'walking the dog' and popping, as its the most exciting form of lure fishing.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The fish don't know what your holding,
But you will! Ever tried working an x rap properly with a carp rod? You'll use surface lures and jerkbaits more skillfully(and easily) with a dedicated spinning rod. Lets face it carp rods, aren't designed for the constant recasting you do when spinning -or even held for a long time -cheap ones are going to be worst of all.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would a shakey salt spin rod be a good entry level rod to get ? i think i'll get a cheap plug ans spinner and give it a go

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
would a shakey salt spin rod be a good entry level rod to get ? i think i'll get a cheap plug ans spinner and give it a go
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120107&highlight=salt+spin

See the link for the Salt Spin rod being discussed previously. I did notice though that someone said the rod casts 1-3oz, which is quite heavy, and sounds to me more like a light bait/bass rod. The most commonly used weight rods cast anywhere between 10-50grams, as this is generally the weight of lures that will be used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts