World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
56CCD320-2E07-40C1-B6EC-A4F195F6E5B5.jpeg

Hello,

Having just sold my tub I thought I would have a bash at throwing a few lures.

Please see my set up above is this appropriate? Any feedback is appreciated

I will be fishing the solent going to have my first bash tomorrow.

Reactions: hennie

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The clip you have looks like a weight clip. Is be concerned about losing a fish playing it on there.
The FBMs will work. Not tried the mudd minnow. I like the feed shallow in the Solent.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clip you have looks like a weight clip. Is be concerned about losing a fish playing it on there.
The FBMs will work. Not tried the mudd minnow. I like the feed shallow in the Solent.
Great thanks I’ll have a look for the feed shallow. What would you use instead of my lure attachment?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great thanks I’ll have a look for the feed shallow. What would you use instead of my lure attachment?
Hi mate ,everyone has favourites but I have found quickly 2 links to give you an idea of styles and types for you here they are strong but smaller and will not effect the action of your lure as much .
https://www.chesilbaitntackle.co.uk/daiwa-tournament-d-snap-lure-clip-23212-p.asp

https://lurefishingforbass.co.uk/breakaway-mini-link-lure-clip-25lb/?aff=2
hope this helps a bit good luck

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I’ll look into them now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: Andy135

·
Registered
462 Posts
View attachment 1122399

Hello,

Having just sold my tub I thought I would have a bash at throwing a few lures.

Please see my set up above is this appropriate? Any feedback is appreciated

I will be fishing the solent going to have my first bash tomorrow.
Hello Chris,

I'm new to the lure scene myself this year and am having a blast! All fish from the smallest to the biggest have been joyous, more so than I found with baits.

I'm also fishing the solent and have done really well with top water lures.. namely patch 100 and 125 in 500g.

I have also done quite well with FBM the last couple of years, more so this year been more selective in use and have caught some crackers! My go to are the No2 tails in khaki, No3's again in khaki in tide rip.. brilliant lures!

I hope you enjoy it, reports good or bad throw them up.. would be good to gain an more info on how others are doing on the solent.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Chris,

I'm new to the lure scene myself this year and am having a blast! All fish from the smallest to the biggest have been joyous, more so than I found with baits.

I'm also fishing the solent and have done really well with top water lures.. namely patch 100 and 125 in 500g.

I have also done quite well with FBM the last couple of years, more so this year been more selective in use and have caught some crackers! My go to are the No2 tails in khaki, No3's again in khaki in tide rip.. brilliant lures!

I hope you enjoy it, reports good or bad throw them up.. would be good to gain an more info on how others are doing on the solent.
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Can you send me over a link to the lures you like? I’m bored of trying to shop round for them lol!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
reading through the responses above...... I think they cover what I would advise.

Definitely check out the link from Andy above - I started a few years ago and only on 2nd full season on the Bass with lures ,that link has all the info to get you more than started - Lurewise anyway.

Clip wise i am a convert to the mini-link mentioned by Richard above.

Gets increasingly more involved But the main thing is ..........just get out there and put the time in.

Research via google Earth or OS maps potential marks - structure, reefs ,points of converging flows, depressions etc etc etc etc where Bass potentially hangout
And take a look at the ground on spring lows.

Good luck

and be prepared to Blank :smile2:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Can you send me over a link to the lures you like? I’m bored of trying to shop round for them lol!
As Andy and BF say above, this link has so much info in there, you can't go wrong. Another tip is to look on sites like luregeek, chesil bait and tackle, sort lures by popularity.. look for the lure that catches you, as with anything you need to be confident in what you're using.. cross refer the lure threads on here.. can't go wrong!

My fav top water.. patchinko 100 and 125 in 500g. The Gun fish is another that's highly praised here and will be another addition to my lures later on.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I gave it my first go this morning fishing over HT. picked my first spot but the wind was straight in my face so I thought maybe not.

Jumped back into the car and went to a south facing beach. After a short walk I was on the beach and fishing. I cast a few lures in with no joy so went for a walk down the beach.

I see a fish jump and thought this must be a good sign so this was my focus area. A few lure changes later band 5 foot away from the water line

9EC4E9A7-C439-4E10-BDA2-6D0E270D86E9.jpeg

After a short fight he was in. It was awesome anyway I was so buzzing I just wanted to get the fish back hence the crap pic.

Another few casts and another fish

1E6CF56D-0138-4080-ACF4-07E71FAB6A2C.jpeg

By this point I was beaming!

Again a few more casts nothing a change of lure nothing. So in all a good morning but I do have a few questions:

Am I using the wrong lure if I can feel it running across the sea floor?

Are hard lures better than softs? As I really wanted to catch on soft but not really sure how you work them

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well done - outstanding start...............I think you're probably a natural (fishy fingers ?)

Looks like you were using a diving minnow type - which will touch the bottom in shallow water as you come in.
Maybe slow the retrieve Or get a shallower swimming lure.
Feed shallow - has been good for me recently.
Or try surface.

Wouldn't over think it though - do what you've done already
Done much better than probably anyone else on here on their first bash ,unreal - certainly myself.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Well done mate, yeah definitely try surface, such a buzz when you see a lure get smashed on the surface :)
Try some shallow divers too, the feed shallow 128’s and 105’s aregreat lures, bit pricey but you can get the copies from predilures on eBay or from aliexpress, I’ve got some and they work !
They run about a foot or so under the surface so are good for shallow venues.

Welcome to the obsession :thumbsup:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well done mate, yeah definitely try surface, such a buzz when you see a lure get smashed on the surface :)
Try some shallow divers too, the feed shallow 128’s and 105’s aregreat lures, bit pricey but you can get the copies from predilures on eBay or from aliexpress, I’ve got some and they work !

Aoclu store on aliexpress mate

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ok I’ll have a look at those then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts