World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lads i'm looking to buy a new uptiding reel i was thinking of maybe the abu 7000, does anyone have any other ideas? i need a reel for fishing rough to slight ground. The 7000 is about £140, I would be greatfull for any advice. cheers doggy

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
ABU 7000 is a good all round reel, but look around becos i am sure that u will get 1 these days a lot cheaper than that m8..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks poacher, i have been looking at some sites in the US they seem to be around £70 out there, maybe worth flying one over for that price

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Daiwa sl30sh is the perfect uptide reel.
Torbay angling are doing them for £65 at the mo.
you will not better this reel for the money.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Doggy Hater,

The Abu 7000 or 75000C3 both at £107 from Poingdestres of Southampton are excellent reels. They can be used for uptiding - downtiding and beachcasting, although they are a little heavy for the latter. However these are the best on the market and if looked after will last you at least 20 years. Just ask anyone in the business.

Have a look at the adverts. in the Sea Angler and you may find them going a little cheaper.

Whatever you decide, please please please don't buy a cheap reel.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI LADS,
I maybe slightly bias toward some of the gear that I use but I just got to agree with the above.

Ive had my Diawa SL30SH for around 8-10years and it has always worked faultlessly 100%.
Probably the best thing I have ever brought, you will not be disapointed with this purchase if you go ahead with it. In fact if your not truely satisfied I'll buy it off you cos I want another one.

Ps... I dont work for Diawa!!!
Regards
Nigel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers for the info lads. I think i'll go to the local tackle shop and have a look at both models and see which one i like the best..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i decided to buy the abu 7000 c4 ld, cost me £100, seems a very good reel, can't wait to get out on the boat and test it, thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I got one of those 2 years ago, good reel but needs a washdown after ever use, they seem very prone to corrosion to me.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Chris,

Every reel and rod should be washed down after each use, Sea Water will corrode anything it comes into contact with. I have had my reels for years, and they are as good now as when I bought them.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
30 Posts
make you right drew, had my abu 7000 for four years now and its as good as new , all ido is a quick rinse with fresh water in the sink after each trip.

D

·
0 Posts
i've got a diawa sl175, and an uptide rod(powerlift-z) ex condition................wud u like to do a deal?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the Diawa z uptide rod, coupled with the sl30sh, best combi going.
100% recommended.

L

·
0 Posts
You will come to like that reel. I got one 2yrs. ago I use it for casting bucktails & swim baits. there is nothing like knowing exactly what your drag setting is. With a star drag when you set it with a scale and go to to fish what do you do after casting out and are waiting for a strike? Do you put the reel in gear, or leave it in freespool with the clicker engaged? With the LD after the cast the drag can be advanced just enough to prevent line unspooling and know exactly what drag preasure you have when the lever is advanced after a strike. If you loosen a star to do the same thing their is only an educated guess as to what the setting is when it is tightened to start fighting to fish.
From the other side of the pond
longcaster

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

"If you loosen a star to do the same thing there is only an educated guess"

Hi Longcaster,

An Educated Guess. Educated is what counts or should I say experience.

Again there is no answer to this thread, it is all down to what the end user prefers. Who is right, or who is wrong? I dont think it really matters.

An earlier posting from Pixybasher states that he prefers a Daiwa Rod coupled with a Daiwa reel and that he is 100% happy with it, I have a Gemini Uptide rod coupled with a Abu 7000 C3 and I am more than happy with my set up. I even use it for light beachcasting, and it is fantastic, i.e. in my opinion.

I always say buy the best that you can afford, but don't buy rubbish. Save your money for a few weeks longer and buy something decent that will last and that you can be proud of.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
77 Posts
dont think you will go wrong with the abu 7000 had a pair of C3s for a few years now for uptiding great reel does everthing i want it to as was said take care of them and they will last you years

B

·
0 Posts
Hey doggy how are you getting on with the 7000ld?

I know a few guys who have had problems with them :(

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Bigfish,

What sort of problems have "they" had with their reels? Can you be specific please.

I take it that there is more than one reel in question, have they had the same problem with each reel

Cheers

Drew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts