World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a seahog hunter it's about mid 80's.is it possable and safe to make the 2 front windows into one large window its only about 3'' of fibreglass between the 2 .I've messed about with some photos on the computer and i makes the boat look a bit more modern. I've already changed the perspex in the windows as the last ones were so badly scatched you couldn't see out them??

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Not if you are using perspex, it is brittle and becomes more brittle with age. Now if you were to replace it with polycarbonate and bolt it in place as well as using sickaflex to seal it I dont think you would have any problems.

Use a variable speed jigsaw on slow speed to cut it and a slow speed drill to drill for the bolts. I would put the holes every 6 to 8 inces around the screen. You need to drill the holes about 1-1/2 mm oversize to allow for expansion and contraction as the grp and poly will move differently.

The bonus is the the poly will not scratch as easily and will not yellow and become brittle with age. It is also more like looking through glass than perspex.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
It is expensive as it comes in 8X4 or bigger sheets, but if you have anywhere near you that makes windows it is used in certain types of glazing. Take your measurements with you and see if they will let you have a big enough offcut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts