World Sea Fishing Forums banner

New Zealand

10K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  tomlusc 
#1 ·
If you are thinking of going to New Zealand and wants some advise let me know! I've spent the last two seasons out there working the boats ;o)

#28 ·
Nelson is in the south island and the fishing around there is generaly good time of year dependant etc .

Have a look at http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/ its a mainly south island based fishing site theres a forum there you could ask a few questions.
I live in Nelson. Surf casting several times a week (walking distance). I'm catching Kahawai (Ocean trout?) at the moment, the waters are cool. I'm fishing a blind channel, which is quite a 'super highway' for fish in and out of the bay. As the waters warm the Kahawai get bigger and the Snapper come in amongst others.
Fortunately, I have the privilege to fish a beach with private access, about 40min out of town. More Kahawai, Snapper, Gurnard, blue cod etc. But that's as the water warms too.
I guess the thing I like the most about fishing around here is the weather. Very settled with the highest sunshine hours in the country next to Blenheim and Marlborough sounds. If I decide to go fishing or go home, it's 15 minutes from line in the water, to beer in the hand.
As for the the sounds, another fishing adventure all together.

#29 ·
This morning was outstanding. Between me and 3 Cambodian guys, we pulled in close to 60 Kahawai in 2 1/2 hrs. Pretty frantic running between rods. They kept plenty of smaller ones I would have released. Still, it was a pretty animated day at the beach! :laugh:

#33 ·
I fished at the three kings in may 2007, it's the fishiest place on earth!! we stayed on 'oracle' for a week as the kings is in the middle of nowhere and you don't touch land for 7 days but i absolutely loved it, we fished 14 hours a day and you catch everything. marlin, billfish, hapuka, bass, kingies, sharks, squid, snapper to name just a few, but the most exciting by far is the kingie fishing on a jig! some are so big and strong they were straightening our split rings on the jigs! i can't wait to go back. apart from that i lived in nz for a year and fished at least once a week mostly on the north island and you won't go far wrong with the bay of islands either.

#34 ·
I fished at the three kings in may 2007, it's the fishiest place on earth!! we stayed on 'oracle' for a week as the kings is in the middle of nowhere and you don't touch land for 7 days but i absolutely loved it, we fished 14 hours a day and you catch everything. marlin, billfish, hapuka, bass, kingies, sharks, squid, snapper to name just a few, but the most exciting by far is the kingie fishing on a jig! some are so big and strong they were straightening our split rings on the jigs! i can't wait to go back. apart from that i lived in nz for a year and fished at least once a week mostly on the north island and you won't go far wrong with the bay of islands either.
Oracle - http://cascade-fishing.co.nz/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx - looks a first rate operation. I notice as well they now also run down to Greymouth to fish for the Giant Bluefin Tuna.

#35 ·
Oracle - http://cascade-fishing.co.nz/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx - looks a first rate operation. I notice as well they now also run down to Greymouth to fish for the Giant Bluefin Tuna.
I also fished with them in 2007 at the 3-Kings. The fishing was excellent but we did have a few problems....

We all flew from all around the world (US, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia) to Auckland.....drove up to the Bay of Islands only to find the boat wasn't there. It turns out they got their days mixed up and we basically lost a days fishing without compensation.

The other issue we had was that there was 12 anglers, yet the rule on the boat was that only 4 anglers could fish at one time to stop tangles, etc. I could understand their thinking but we spent a lot of time just watching and not fishing....very fustrating!

One of the fish I really wanted to catch was a Hapuka....yet because of the 4 people only fishing rule, the coolers on the boat were filled without a few of us even getting the chance to catch one. I can understand the stocks need to be conserved, but we had traveled a long way to catch this fish and to never even get the opportunity was again fustrating!

Apart from those issues we did have good fishing for Kingfish. The crew was very helpful and the food was great. I would use them again but limit the number of anglers to an absolute maximum of 8, so that you can fish a lot more! The other boat that went to the 3-Kings with us had 8 anglers who were allowed to fish all the time....they had a much more productive trip even though they lost a few fish with crossed lines.

I have friends who have fished on this boat in Greymouth and caught some huge Bluefin.....a trip I really have to do!

Cheers

Dave

#36 ·
I also fished with them in 2007 at the 3-Kings. The fishing was excellent but we did have a few problems....

The other issue we had was that there was 12 anglers, yet the rule on the boat was that only 4 anglers could fish at one time to stop tangles, etc. I could understand their thinking but we spent a lot of time just watching and not fishing....very fustrating!

I have friends who have fished on this boat in Greymouth and caught some huge Bluefin.....a trip I really have to do!

Cheers

Dave
Thanks for pointing that out Dave.

Given the current weakness in the NZ $, it's devalued EVEN more against the Euro and US$ that the £ Sterling, and discounted air fares New Zealand appears more and more tempting.

Having seen some of the video footage of those Bluefin in the Hokitika Trench I must admit I'm also sorely tempted as are others of our Club members. (Fortunately it seems to be the Hoki the mega trawlers are targeting.) Weather conditions down there, and the problems with the bar off Greymouth, do seem to present real issues with the probability of cancelled days. Any idea what their policy will be with weather cancellations?

Back to the Three Kings, or more importantly the Kingfish, though I'm currently trying to convince my wife that we should visit New Zealand later in the year - perhaps November. But I suspect a trip up there's going to represent an over-nighter at the very minimum. Any thoughts on other spots where I could target big Kingies just on a day trip?

#37 ·
Thanks for pointing that out Dave.

Given the current weakness in the NZ $, it's devalued EVEN more against the Euro and US$ that the £ Sterling, and discounted air fares New Zealand appears more and more tempting.

Having seen some of the video footage of those Bluefin in the Hokitika Trench I must admit I'm also sorely tempted as are others of our Club members. (Fortunately it seems to be the Hoki the mega trawlers are targeting.) Weather conditions down there, and the problems with the bar off Greymouth, do seem to present real issues with the probability of cancelled days. Any idea what their policy will be with weather cancellations?

Back to the Three Kings, or more importantly the Kingfish, though I'm currently trying to convince my wife that we should visit New Zealand later in the year - perhaps November. But I suspect a trip up there's going to represent an over-nighter at the very minimum. Any thoughts on other spots where I could target big Kingies just on a day trip?
To be honest Dave I am not sure of their policy regarding cancellations. I was informed that you should aim at staying at least one week and hopefully during that one week you may be lucky and get to fish for one day!

I have only fished the 3 Kings (a days traveling just to get there from Mangonui)but I have a few good friends over there who will be able to sort out a day trip for you in other areas. Off the top of my head some of the well known Kingfish grounds are Ranfurly Banks and White Island.

Cheers

Dave

#39 ·
White Island is an easy daytrip for the big kings, (slightly) smaller specimens become more numerous as you head north. Pretty much any of the charters will be able to oblige if you tell them you want to target kingies.
Many Thanks. My Thanks also to Dave.

Just need to convince my wife, otherwise it will be a 'boys trip' and the Three Kings then becomes a real possibility.

#40 ·
Apart from those issues we did have good fishing for Kingfish. The crew was very helpful and the food was great. I would use them again but limit the number of anglers to an absolute maximum of 8, so that you can fish a lot more! The other boat that went to the 3-Kings with us had 8 anglers who were allowed to fish all the time....they had a much more productive trip even though they lost a few fish with crossed lines.

I agree, we only had 6 of us and 4 crew on the oracle for the week, it worked out more expensive but if you're going for the week it's well worth it.

as for somewhere to catch kingies on a day trip it doesn't get much easier than a trip from the bay of islands. great place to target them and with certain skippers like steve butler or captain bucko they put you on them almost every time, it's up to you them to get them on the boat quicker than the bronzie sharks get them in their mouth!:laugh:

#41 ·
Yep 6 on that boat would be ideal....Definitely don't do 12 like we did.....so fustrating watching other people catching fish!!! ;)

While waiting to get on this boat, there was a few anglers fishing the jetty at Mangonui and they were catching a lot of fish....mainly what the Australians call salmon (which look like a Bluefish to me), quite a few John Dory's and they were getting bitten off quite regularly by Bronze Whalers. Great fishing just from the local jetty!

Cheers

Dave

#42 ·
Hi guys

Having spent a lot of years as a kid and adult fishing in my native Cornwall my family (wife & 13 year old daughter) have decided that the weather is just too hot and settled down here and are emigrating to NZ in January.
My wife has a job offer as a nurse in Whakatane which I gather is somewhat of a fishing heaven?
So currently I am stripping down, cleaning, etc all my sea fishing kit ready for the move.
Any members who are in NZ then please get in touch - it would be good to meet up with some likeminded bods. tom@mortilusc.plus.com
Our long term plans are to find a place with enough land to have a holiday rental or two so once we are settled I'll post on here for those members who want to get away from our english summers for awhile!!

#43 ·
Hi guys

Having spent a lot of years as a kid and adult fishing in my native Cornwall my family (wife & 13 year old daughter) have decided that the weather is just too hot and settled down here and are emigrating to NZ in January.
My wife has a job offer as a nurse in Whakatane which I gather is somewhat of a fishing heaven?
So currently I am stripping down, cleaning, etc all my sea fishing kit ready for the move.
Any members who are in NZ then please get in touch - it would be good to meet up with some likeminded bods. tom@mortilusc.plus.com
Our long term plans are to find a place with enough land to have a holiday rental or two so once we are settled I'll post on here for those members who want to get away from our english summers for awhile!!
:roll1:I lived in NZ for 2.5 years and still have family there, I can confirm that the fishing is very good, although it has deteriorated due to the NZ government selling fishing licences to the japanese. I meant to have a month there last Christmas, having a trip out from the South Island on a charter boat but medical problems meant I couldn't get insurance so didn't go. I'd like to live there and do the same sort of thing as you but Mrs B won't leave "our girls" age 27 + 30 so I'm stuck here for ever. Good luck and I may be your first customer.:roll1:

#44 ·
We are leaving elder brothers (25 and 28) to our daughter but they are independant now and they are looking forward to their free holidays. One is a submariner so we rarely see him as it is and the other lives in the States which is as far from NZ as it is UK

Very welcome as our first customer Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.