I am about to take up sea-fishing (well anyway try it to see if I
like it&#33;).

I am going to borrow the basic equipment and a friend who&#39;s
been fishing once or twice - we are going to Shoreham in
Sussex on Saturday to fish off the sea-wall at the harbour
entrance.

I have a load of questions that some of you might be good
enough to answer:

1. How much should I budget for a basic Rod and Reel if I buy?
2. Line strength - what&#39;s best for a beginner?
3. Hook sizes - same question&#33;
4. Bait - what&#39;s best - so far heard Lugworms and
Black Rags are good??
5. Best time of day to go c/f tides?
6. Best time to go c/f weather?
7. Anything else that I should buy?
8. Any tips that you remember from your first outings?
9. Are there any books/mags/websites you recommend?

(I have no idea what type/size of fish are around Shoreham
at this time of year&#33;)

Any other advice gratefully received&#33;&#33;&#33;

Thanks in advance</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I would suggest that you but the best equiptment that you can afford, but before you fork out money for a sport you may not like I suggest that you go fishing with borrowed gear for a while just so you get a feel for things.

The reason for saying buy the best you can afford is that cheap tackle may seem appealing in the short term but after 6 months of regular abuse it begins to show signs of wear and tear and eventually ceases to work. On cheap rods the reel seats come apart and both multipliers and fixed spools the main drive cogs wear down pretty quick just to mention a few problems. Below is a list of what you need to get started.

Rod 12ft &nbsp;6 - 8oz or 5 - 4 - 6oz
Reel either multiplier or fixed spool. FS 070 size or bigger and multiplier 6000 size or bigger.

As far as value and reliability go for multipliers I would recommend either an Abu 6500 ct elite, Daiwa millionaire 7HT or Penn 525. All of which should not cost you more than £80 and will last for a good few years without need for repair.

Fixed spools the two best makes are Daiwa and Shimano look at there range and you wont go far wrong.

For ease I suggest you start fishing with a fixed spool as they are easy to master but cannot achive as much distance as a multiplier and are not as reliable however if you know some one that uses a multiplier ask them to show you how to set it up and use it.

Line and Tackle:

1:A good all round strength for all applications is 15 - 20lb line try Daiwa Tournament as I find it to be quite good (this is your maimline attached to the reel)

2: Shock leader - 60lb
3: A selection of 5 and 6oz plain and wired leads.
4: Hooks - I find that aberdeens are the best all round pattern. Try sizes 1, 2, 1/0, 2/0, 4/0 this selection all you will need for most aspects of fishing.
5: A selection of swivels, beads, crimps, lead links and booms.
6: Ready made rigs such as mackerel feathers.

Useful things.

1: Rod rest
2: Filleting knife
3: Baiting needle
4: Chopping board
5: Long nose pliers
6: Seat box or Tackle box.

All the this will probably set you back a fair amount of money, so I suggest that for now you try and buy second hand. If you want me to recommend a particular set up I can just tell me how much your willing to spend and I can help. Try looking on e-bay for some tackle bargains and some good second hand buys but be careful as not all things are as good value as they may seem. Hope this helps.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Oh yeh I forgot. Generally the best time to fish is at night on medium sized tides except for when you are fishing for mackerel and other sight hunting fish using lures and spinners.

Lugworm isnt a bad bait but try experimenting with different baits to find which one is the most effective in your area. Try squid, sandeel, mackerel, black lugworm, razorfish and ragworm.

As for the weather it depends on the species your after for cod they tend to prefer cold weather with some movement in the tide.

Bass prefer mild conditions with a bit of surf.

Mackerel and Pollack are summer species and prefer warm water temperatures and seem to feed better when the sun is shinning.

Whiting prefer cold, still waters and are mainly caught in the winter months like the cod.

I could go on and on about fishing conditions so if there is a particular species drop me a line and I will try to help you out.

Sea Angler magazine isnt bad for tips and advice. Have a proper look around this site and it will provide you with some excellent and sound advice for every situation.

When fishing surf beaches it is not always necessary to balst the bait out as far as you can sometimes a cast just beyond the first breaking wave is sufficient. Read mikes articles on pier and rock fishing they will help.</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Definitely start with a fixed spool reel. Contrary to the above, multipliers don&#39;t cast any further and are a pain to use until you are a reasonably confident caster.
Get all the info you can. Sea Angler and Total Sea Fishing are both ok and will answer some of the questions you have. If you&#39;re dead stuck you can write to them or even phone them (they don&#39;t seem to mind).
Your local tackle shop should also be a source of advice, but be careful. Some just want your money so if they noticeably contradict some of the stuff you&#39;ve read treat them with suspicion.
Another excellent source of info is other anglers. Walk the local beaches and have a chat. Most are really friendly and will tell you all sorts of interesting stuff, and (crucially) where the best places are, the baits to use, rigs, times of day, tides etc.
One last thing. You probably aren&#39;t making rigs yet. In your local tackle shop they should have some ready mades by Mustad or Gemini. These are very good - I use them myself when I can&#39;t be bothered to tie my own or I&#39;m in a rush. Bit pricey but at least you will have confidence in the bit that matters the most i.e. the bit under the water with the bait attached.
Hope that&#39;s of help.

Cheers,
Rhod.</font>

&

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>As a beginner myself, and past 50, (hence the epithet “Mature Student”&#33;) possibly I can help with what I have picked up so far&#33; &nbsp;

(1) Rod & reel, &nbsp;Charity shops sometimes have ‘stuff’ surplus to requirements, you can go eBay but I would suggest you only go for known and recognised brands. &nbsp;Tackle, (the stuff on the end of the string)&#33; &nbsp;Cultivate an enthusiast who also owns (or runs a tackle shop). &nbsp;
(2) Line strength 25lb,
(3) Hooks selection from 4 to 4/0.
(4) Bait frozen squid cut the outer sheath into strips.
(5) Anytime.
(6) When it’s warm, (nothing nastier than trying to cultivate a hobby when the weather is miserable).
(7) Lead weights, I go to the scrappies, buy lead and have great fun after the pub making my own, (it helps to have a lathe to turn a mould or two).
(8) Keep quiet and OBSERVE&#33; &nbsp;Ask questions but don’t be put off by the deluge of information from a fellow enthusiast, &nbsp;(or a monosyllabic grunt)&#33;
(9) Reading, &nbsp;“Sea Fishing Properly Explained” by Ian Ball, &nbsp;Paperback, fits in pocket. &nbsp;I.S.B.N. 0-7160-2092-0. &nbsp;
(10) Worldseafishing.com
(11) Don’t throw anything back if it’s big enough to cook, some say “Those taste like mud”&#33; &nbsp;You may like the taste of mud&#33;
(12) Finally, have a boat trip, practically guaranteed to catch something.

Hope you are relatively birds nest free. &nbsp;Had my first BIGGIE yesterday&#33; &nbsp;Cheers, Tony.</font>

A

·
0 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>also a quick tip if u get snagged done rely on your reel to get it out this can result in the teeth on the cogs stripping inside your reel thus meaning u cant use your reel and its going to cost u £&#39;s to fix also dont rely on your rod to get it out cos it probs could snap the best way is to pull the line free with your hands untill u feel it go free then reel it in</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

A great response from fellow anglers. This is what you can expect from those on the beach. Everyone has there own favourite equipment purchased over the years and I am sure that, more than what is kept, has been discarded as rubbish.

I fully agree with fishing_fanatic and Abu_fisher, in fact all the replys have excellent advice. One thing that they have forgotten, a good stainless steel flask. There is nothing worse when you are fishing than not having a cup of tea or coffee, not forgetting the sandwiches.

All the very best on the beach, with a tight line.

Drew</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font color='#000000'>Thank you all very much for your help&#33;

I went to Shoreham fished off the harbour arm, and I caught a Red Mullet, a Plaice, and a Bream, plus several small crabs&#33;

My friend caught 2 medium size bream which we took home and baked&#33;

I will definitely be going again, and will keep coming back to this forum to pick up hints & tips&#33;

I found that sea-anglers are the friendliest people around - nothing was too much trouble and they offered help and good advice as soon as they saw we were in trouble&#33; I learnt a lot but there is so much more to learn&#33;

I will probably buy a second-hand rod and reel for the time being but talking to the guys on the arm it seems that new ones aren&#39;t as dear as I thought they would be.

We used lugworms mainly as bait, and that proved the most successful. I had awful trouble threading the lugworm round the hook so it was right up on the line, as I was shown to do by another angler&#33; I guess this comes with practice but until I get it right I guess I&#39;ll have to put up with fish snatching my bait and doing a runner&#33;&#33;&#33;

PS Someone on the arm mentioned using feathers to catch Mackerel - any opinions on that?

Thanks again very much to you all&#33;</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts