World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a total virgin in terms of both sea fishing and boat fishing but have recently aquired a small boat for fishing in the Carrick Roads and Falmouth Bay area. I would welcome any advice on good spots to try out in the rivers or the Bay and the best methods of fishing them.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Welcome to the forum mike.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
welcome mate, sorry i carnt give you any info on what your asking, not my part of the woods, but im shore some one will give you some good advise, good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've always found ragworm to be the best all round bait in the Roads.

For a quick fix if fish action you will pick up wrasse and small pollock off Trefusis, Pendennis, around Black Rock, around the lighthouse and St. Mawes Castle by fishing rag near the bottom.

This was my introduction to fishing over 30 years ago with a cheap light rod from Trago Mills, the wrasse used to bend it almost double and the excitement has stayed with me into adulthood. When other marks and forms of fishing are not producing I still visit these spots for a bit of fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and thanks for the replies.

UE2 many thanks for those suggestions, will certainly follow those tips up.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Also fishing from shore,try around the castle for huss with a nice big fish bait at night.Cheers marty.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your fishing, some of the areas you are likely to be fishing in could be part of the bass nursery area , where all bass caught from a boat must be returned, also you are not allowed to use sand eel as a bait in some river areas

·
Registered
11 Posts
The main part of the Roads is OK but, As the Newtown Boys said, you should return them all from the rivers.

It might be just me but in all those years I'd never done very well on sandeel for bass up the Fal anyway. Live prawn used to work well enough though.

The change in the weather seems to have corresponded with the disappearance of the bass in the Roads. Nothing but a few macky for my troubles this weekend.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
plenty around in the lower parts of the river this wekend, they were picking up all different baits floated, on the bottom, span etc, few around, maybe the rain pushed em down further

·
Registered
25,144 Posts
plenty around in the lower parts of the river this wekend, they were picking up all different baits floated, on the bottom, span etc, few around, maybe the rain pushed em down further
Plenty of BIG bass out in falmouth bay murdering the macky shoals pete,the rain may have pushed the schoolies out into the sea as i caught some of the smallest baby bass ive ever seen the other day.:thumbdown

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
when we going to try to catch them then tommo, quiet week work wise, up to you.. can do a sesh soon if you want to anyway, been meaning to ask as sean wants to as well

·
Registered
25,144 Posts
when we going to try to catch them then tommo, quiet week work wise, up to you.. can do a sesh soon if you want to anyway, been meaning to ask as sean wants to as well
Depends on the weather for me pete,will get in touch when i know what i am doing:fishing::fishing::fishing:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the fishery, I was aware of that, but its always good to be reminded, its a pretty important facility for the bass. Im wondering what the heavy rain will do ( yesterday all day ) water coming down will be coloured for a few days I think now.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions made, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Farmers have all been putting down loads of fertilizer in the last couple of weeks to try and offset the poor dry start to the growing season. With the ground so hard does anyone think a lot of this will have washed into the rivers and had an impact on the fishing?

·
Power to the peaceful
2,160 Posts
Farmers have all been putting down loads of fertilizer in the last couple of weeks to try and offset the poor dry start to the growing season. With the ground so hard does anyone think a lot of this will have washed into the rivers and had an impact on the fishing?
at £250<>£300+ per T they are not going to be putting
it on willy-nilly just to let it run off i doubt UE2.....

·
Registered
25,144 Posts
at £250<>£300+ per T they are not going to be putting
it on willy-nilly just to let it run off i doubt UE2.....
If they cant blame the gentle harvesters of the sea then they will blame the harvesters of the land phil,as my old sig said="if you cant catch bgger all blame someone else":help::help::help:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spend ages without posting, pluck up the courage to join in and get replies like that - what a wonderfull welcome - thanks!

Like I said earlier, I've been fishing out of Falmouth for around 35 years. I've caught plenty and had my share of blanks like everyone else. I'm not looking to blame anyone, just always looking for explanations to try to improve my knowledge and chances. We've had the driest start to a year since 1929, I'm curious what the impact on fishing might be. I come from a farming background, do some research on nitrate vulnerable zones (NVZ's) and you'll discover the whole of the Fal area lies within one.

I want people like the original poster to be able to share the same joy that I've had over the years. Posts like yours make me want to keep my knowledge and experience to myself. This probably doesn't matter to you but newcomers to the sport suffer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I spend ages without posting, pluck up the courage to join in and get replies like that - what a wonderfull welcome - thanks!

Like I said earlier, I've been fishing out of Falmouth for around 35 years. I've caught plenty and had my share of blanks like everyone else. I'm not looking to blame anyone, just always looking for explanations to try to improve my knowledge and chances. We've had the driest start to a year since 1929, I'm curious what the impact on fishing might be. I come from a farming background, do some research on nitrate vulnerable zones (NVZ's) and you'll discover the whole of the Fal area lies within one.

I want people like the original poster to be able to share the same joy that I've had over the years. Posts like yours make me want to keep my knowledge and experience to myself. This probably doesn't matter to you but newcomers to the sport suffer.
I cannot see them throwing it on willy nilly and over feeding the land with it. Costly job but there is no doubt about it that it can cause problems with green weed growth in some of our rivers. I doubt it affects most species too much though. Stick at it with your posts you will find all sorts on here, ones who jump to the defence of netters, ones who jump to the defence of clubs and ones who always seem to get it all wrong lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts