World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just moved into the area and all my mates got me into fishing recently but they have all given up, but i want to give it ago, been a few times down the pier and even tho i haven't caught anything (yet) lol i enjoyed every second. I could just watch and listen to the sea.
So im in need of people who go regular for fun and hopefully teach me the ropes.

Also what do people find are the best baits for this area? im only using lures at the moment and i dont think im using them correctly lol....

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site / area. I havent fished Porthcawl for a long long time. The best advice I could give you at the moment is to talk to others who are fishing there and ask to see their rigs... I was going to say ask to see their end tackle but that could get you thrown in! Ditch those lures and get some ragworm on!
Good luck
Ryan

·
Registered
85 Posts
alright dude...
I aint been back fishing that long either about a year now i think. Tend to fish the porthcawl area as its easy for me living in cornelly. Your welcome along anytime i go out down the pier or in the area. Will send you a message on here a day or two before i go out. Get on the fish baits for the whitting off the pier and put the lures away till the spring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yeah best not say that budd lmao ....... thanks for the advice. I will try bait, just want to get another rod so i can lure fish and bait fish.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Basshunter. I go to Porthcawl quite a lot, and usually use mackerel and squid tip, but ragworm and sandeels, and crab are all baits that are successful down there. Fish there range from doggies, rays, conger, codling,turbot, whiting, mackerel in the summer, bass, occasionally a garfish has been caught there, the odd smoothound, huss and reportedly a tope was once picked up there (believe when i see a photo though).
It is a good mark for all round fishing, but during high tide has a hell of a rip current which throws your bait everywhere. On a high tide (11m + i use a 6 or 7oz lead, but otherwise a 5oz is more than enough. I use a 10 foot pier rod, and a 13 foot beach-caster, and never blank there, but the REAL fishing will start in mid October when the codling are in force.
Its a good mark but would be better if people cleaned up after them, as most of the time there is old bait and rubbish left there, and it stinks.
Good luck, and no doubt I will see you down there!:punk:

·
Registered
448 Posts
is there any water on the pier at dead low water thinking of taking a few mates down there saturday morning who havent been fishing that long, so they cant cast to far, so pier fishing is ideal for them

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
is there any water on the pier at dead low water thinking of taking a few mates down there saturday morning who havent been fishing that long, so they cant cast to far, so pier fishing is ideal for them
There will be water there the whole tide cycle on Sat, as the tides are small (but building)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah you will see me im the one with that look on my face wondering if im doing things right lmao.... When i do go down, i normally go on the bottom part of the pier facing the harbour due to the front of the upper pier being crowded mostly, Is this a goodish spot?
Also i did once go to the front of the pier and any left over bait, i used lol.. (sad i know, but i recycle lmao)
Just send me a message couple of days before you go down and im happy to meet friendly people willing to teach what they know....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts