World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi guys...new to the site and sea fishing in general.

I&#39;ve been fishing all my life, but living 1 mile from the Thames (Oxford), its been coarse fishing all the way&#33;

However, last year I bought myself a decent light beach rod, and teamed up with a small abu multiplyer I have for pike fishing...I&#39;m all ready for some beach/rock fun this summer.

Anyway, I get down to Pembroke (St Davids head) a couple of times a year with friends, and last year (first attempt) managed to scrag a couple of baby pollock and numerous doggies fishing lures or squid on he bottom.

I would love to catch my first bass, and I&#39;m thinking Newgale would be a good bet.

So...any tips/pointers to help a bass virgin
What time of day/night, bait, location.

I&#39;ve read some of the recent postings about Newgale and it sound like a good place to start?</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

Give me a shout when you are down in Pembroke if you fancy a boat trip out of Laugharne which is only 30 mins away from St Davids.

Have been out on 5 trips since beginning of April with our Club have had Bass every Trip.

The most was 60 fish about 2 weeks ago most went back kept 12 between 6 of us.

Rob</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Newgale is a good bass beach, the best fishing is just after the fall of darkness. Fish on the left hand-side of the beach near the caravan park. The best type of bait for this time of year is king ragworm and live or frozen sandeel. Fish the sandeel either on a flowing trace or freeline it and the ragworm on either a three hook patternoster or once again a flowing trace. The best conditions is when there is a surf, there is no need to cast mega distance a short cast of about 40-70 yards will be more then sufficient to contact the fish aim for the 1st large breaking wave. Hope this is of some assistance to you, tight lines. I regularly fish newgale and so if you want we can arrange a meet and I could hopefully give you some tips.</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>Cheers for the help guys...I will be down there (weather permitting) over this coming bank holiday period...along with the mass of tourists&#33;

I think we are down from Saturday afternoon till monday...so if you see a lone angler looking a little lost on Newgale beach during that time, around dusk or dawn...come over and say hello...it&#39;ll probably be me&#33;

Really looking forward to it now...trying to get my head around see fishing after over 20 years of river/lake stuff is a little strange...but I&#39;m getting there and itching to go again&#33;

Any advice on where to buy bait in the area. If I remember there was a sports shop in st.Davids...but it seemed a little limited on bait.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>County Sports, 3 Old Bridge, Haverfordwest.
Anglers Corner, 1 Pill Road, Milford Haven.
Milford Angling Supplies, The Old Customs House, Milford Dock, Milford Haven.

The latter of the two have the best variety of fresh and frozen bait where as County Sports has the best tackle selection.</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts