World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone.

I'm Paul Martin and I live in Portsmouth on the South Coast of the the UK (for all the worldwide readers of this forum).

I'm 33 and have only really started sea fishing last year. It started off when I was walking in Portsmouth with a girlfriend and I noticed a guy regularly catching bass from a pier there. I sat and talked to him for a while and a few weeks later, I was fishing myself. Having previously been fresh water fishing, I knew many of the basics, but I wasn't fully aware as to how much different sea fishing is from freshwater.

I'm on this forum to hopefully make a few friends and possibly some new fishing buddies too?

My best fish to date is a 7lb 9oz bass caught from Victoria Pier in Portsmouth. I'm a fairly basic angler and would welcome the help and knowledge of more experienced anglers, so please excuse any lame or dim sounding posts, I truly am new to this but very keen to learn.

I work shifts at an Air Traffic Control Building near to Swanwick in Southampton and my girlfriend lives in Bournemouth, so I'm regularly driving along the South Coast area. My shifts mean that I work 4 day shifts, get 4 days off, work 4 night shifts and then get another 4 days off, this means that I get a fair bit of free time to go fishing.

Ideally, I'd like to meet up with a few guys who can possibly help me learn a whole lot more about the art of fishing and how to cast with a multiplier reel too. :)

I would also like to explore the possiblities of boat fishing too, but I also have to say that I'm a bit of a fair weather angler and haven't experienced a night fish, although I would be if others were to accompany me, I'd be a bit worried for my safety if i was to fish alone at night.

Sorry for the long post but I felt it was the best was to introduce myself.

I'm hoping i've posted this in the right forum discussion area as I couldn't see one that is dedicated to new people's posts.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

With regards and tight lines,

Paul

·
Registered
633 Posts
:) Hi Paul and welcome. I hav'nt been on this forum long either, but I've found they're a great bunch of lads. Someone's always ready to help/ give advice. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's really good news to hear.

I'm hoping to get out for the first time this year on Tuesday, so I'm really looking forward to that.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Paul,

There are a few of us who fish out of Portsmouth on charter boats, if you fancy joining in let me know and I will try and fix you up with a trip. Cost is between £30 and £50 per trip. We are normally out for 8 to 10 hrs depending on what type of fishing we are doing, i.e. wrecking or general.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drew,

I'd be very interested in joining you.

Bearing in mind that I'm a newbie, would someone be able to assist me with rigs and possibly either help me by lending me some suitable tackle or helping me with the purchase of my own?

I wouldn't know where to start.

With regards,

Paul

·
Registered
423 Posts
your in luck there mate,im too from portsmouth and most of the charters down here carry spare rods and reels on board for beginners and there also very helpful too

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Welcome Paul,

The site is very good. You do really get to increase your knowledge from the site. The tips on the left handside are absolute brill.

Woodster

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Paul,

Thats what we are here for.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome Paul,

Hope you enjoy your sea fishing, get you multiplier reel tuned before you start to cast with it as nothing will put you off quicker than constant birdies.

Regards Ryan :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
welcome to the forums mate i dont live far from you m8 . i live in selsey any time you want to come down and try the beaches here i would be more than happy to help you out .

·
Registered
767 Posts
welcome to the real world. happy fishing and have fun

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Paul,

The best advice that I can give you is KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS. You may think you have asked a stupid one but believe me, there is someone out there that was too nervous to ask the same. Most anglers will readily give advice and help. I would reccommend joining a local club and maybe fish a few matches. You will get hammered the first few times but it is a great way of learning because you will see how the winners win and what doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger !!

When I started, I went and rang people like Steve Allmark, Ian Golds and Chris Clark. They are great guys and will answer any questions that you have.

If you get the chance, come down to the charity fishathon in July and meet Ian Golds. He will tell you what rigs to make, how to make them and even make some for you for a small donation. We also have 5 of the England Casting Team coming down, so if they can't help you with the casting side, then you had better take up boat fishing.

If you want to fish Chesil at any time, pm me and I will try and meet up with you.

Regards

Barry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts