World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i am new to site after reading it for the past 18 months i thought it about time i joined and was looking for info on these stainless bait pumps and if they would be any good around the sandbanks area
and are they any easier than using a fork ??

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi I've used a bait pump for a number of years now (Normans Bay area) and wouldn't go back to the spade. They take a bit of mastering but after a while you can easily pump enough for a session. For some reason I find it easier to pump them after the tide has turned - I don't know if the worms can sense it and are nearer the surface. I would suggest you watch some of the professionals to see how they do it, because you don't pump directly above the cast but start at an angle a couple of inches away from it and if you haven't got the worm by the third pump you won't get it. You also need to make sure that the suction is good - there should be a wing nut which you tighten to increase the suction. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi I've used a bait pump for a number of years now (Normans Bay area) and wouldn't go back to the spade. They take a bit of mastering but after a while you can easily pump enough for a session. For some reason I find it easier to pump them after the tide has turned - I don't know if the worms can sense it and are nearer the surface. I would suggest you watch some of the professionals to see how they do it, because you don't pump directly above the cast but start at an angle a couple of inches away from it and if you haven't got the worm by the third pump you won't get it. You also need to make sure that the suction is good - there should be a wing nut which you tighten to increase the suction. Hope this is helpful.
I can def reference the fact that the pumping gets easier when the tide turns.....Once, myself amd a certain Mesito cleaned up on Blacks down Normans bay.... we went something like 15 pumps on the trot getting a worm.. we must have pumped 300 in 2 hours:crazy:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
hi all i am new to site after reading it for the past 18 months i thought it about time i joined and was looking for info on these stainless bait pumps and if they would be any good around the sandbanks area
and are they any easier than using a fork ??
make sure you use vegtable oil,,,,,,,,,,environment freindly,,,,,,,,,,pump will get yellow tails, blacks ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dungie,,,,,,,,,,,,sandwich bay,,,,,,,,they can be made cheaper then the market ones,,,,,,,,,,,mind you, not pumped in a while ,there is a knack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i found it easier then digging this sort of worm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts