World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
The more I read the more confused I get !!
I am looking for good value but not tat as I want it to last fairly well.
After much searching I find myself back looking at these two combo's
The salt spin or the salt bass with Penn 5000/6000
as seen in the link below.

http://www.wsftackle.com/acatalog/rod_combos.shtml

Now for a bit more info.......
I intend by starting to spin from rocks for Mackerel,Bass,Pollock etc
but also float fish and some light ledgering maybe for flatties etc.
So in essence I am looking for an all round rod and reel thats not to expensive but is not going to fall apart after a few trips !

Any help or advice or pointers in other directions for different choices would be welcome.

Cheers Paul

Another point I forgot to mention I like the idea that the "spin" is in 3 sections so easy to pop in the car but I really like the idea of spinning into gullies and small inlets etc so feel the bass rod may be more suitable..........HELP

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all,
The more I read the more confused I get !!
I am looking for good value but not tat as I want it to last fairly well.
After much searching I find myself back looking at these two combo's
The salt spin or the salt bass with Penn 5000/6000
as seen in the link below.

http://www.wsftackle.com/acatalog/rod_combos.shtml

Now for a bit more info.......
I intend by starting to spin from rocks for Mackerel,Bass,Pollock etc
but also float fish and some light ledgering maybe for flatties etc.
So in essence I am looking for an all round rod and reel thats not to expensive but is not going to fall apart after a few trips !

Any help or advice or pointers in other directions for different choices would be welcome.

Cheers Paul
looks ok ,stick to the fixed spool reels for now .dont look at the horizon its moving all the time

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The bass rod would be more versatile, so I would choose that if you intend doing much bottom fishing. If you will be mainly spinning and floating go for the spin rod. Look at the Shimano fs reels too.

Good luck mate.

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Century Tip Tornado Ultra lite rod will do all you are asking, and also cast 150 gram for clean ground fishing, especially if it is rung for fixed, if you can find 1 a penn surfmaster 70 (not 750 or 850) will cast as far as anyone would want.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Century Tip Tornado Ultra lite rod will do all you are asking, and also cast 150 gram for clean ground fishing, especially if it is rung for fixed, if you can find 1 a penn surfmaster 70 (not 750 or 850) will cast as far as anyone would want.
that will also cost 200 quid mate and thats just the rod .
keep it basic for the newbie he might be growing beans on it next year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys... yes £200 for a rod is a little out of my range !!

Can anyone explain to me why it makes a differance if your on rough ground or clean ground ? I would have thought it would be the line strenght that matters if you snag . or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
Also would the Bass rod be a bit heavy for spinning for any lenght of time ? what makes a bass rod a bass rod ? So if I was using a Dexter wedge looking for bass with the spinning rod why would that not be bass rod? Im sure these questions seem comical to you guys :unsure:

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
always worth paying that bit extra, even if it means saving up, for a few more months, that or have look on austion sites.
rough ground rods are typically stiffer to allow for the hauling of fish/weed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cheers guys... yes £200 for a rod is a little out of my range !!

Can anyone explain to me why it makes a differance if your on rough ground or clean ground ? I would have thought it would be the line strenght that matters if you snag . or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
Also would the Bass rod be a bit heavy for spinning for any lenght of time ? what makes a bass rod a bass rod ? So if I was using a Dexter wedge looking for bass with the spinning rod why would that not be bass rod? Im sure these questions seem comical to you guys :unsure:
i have a john darling bass rod 30+ years old can spin or bottom fish .
hold it all day in one hand got plenty of guts in it too.wouldnt use it to cast a 4oz weight over 40 yards mind.
dont think you can get them anymore priceless to me tbh.get the bass kit it will do you i think

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I will go for the bass kit ! I doubt either will make me catch fish ! I am looking forward to getting out and enjoying the outdoors if I catch some fish mores the better......
12lbs line be about right ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
bit heavier than 12 ,use 18lb straight through but you my need a shock leader of 30lbs if your thinking about casting at horizans .
bass aint far from your feet most of the time on a surfy beach :whistling

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i would prehaps look at the shakespear salt mpv, like yourself i was after something that fitted my needs to i asked mike thrussel from this site and he suggested thie one below , does not break the bank and was in my price range

Salt MPV

The salt MPV offers the shore angler a range of fishing from general shore, pier and rock fishing. It is constructed from a full carbon blank and finished to a high specification incorportaing Fuji guides and reel seat fittings. 10.2ft 2 sections and 2-4 oz casting weight.

3rd one down
http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/salt.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts