World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought pump - smaller diameter than I wanted (22mm) as all there was in stock. Realise is easier with larger from what I have seen. After trying all the ideas from videos still getting only very occasional lugworm from good local beaches around Hoylake on Wirral. Appreciate is learning process but any tips appreciated as not getting enough bait to go fishing!

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
When I bought my pump 6 years ago, I took advice and bought a 22 mm one. I looked at it when it arrived and thought I will never get worms in that!
I looked at YouTube and it looks dead simple doesn’t it....
I was lucky to be able to go pumping with a mate, so watching first hand was the way to learn.
I have found though that it can be extremely variable in terms of success each time I go....my record to date is nine pumps and nine successive worms one day when it all went well. Another day it can be a worm every 20 pumps so don’t lose faith.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The best thing I ever did when pumping as a new larker, was to not go as deep. I started getting a worm a pump at times, from maybe 1 in 10. The problem I have is finding them.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
When I bought my pump 6 years ago, I took advice and bought a 22 mm one. I looked at it when it arrived and thought I will never get worms in that!
I looked at YouTube and it looks dead simple doesn’t it....
I was lucky to be able to go pumping with a mate, so watching first hand was the way to learn.
I have found though that it can be extremely variable in terms of success each time I go....my record to date is nine pumps and nine successive worms one day when it all went well. Another day it can be a worm every 20 pumps so don’t lose faith.

the ground changes every tide alan
no 2 days are the same,
its a right pain when you do one day n get a good 400, then the next day, exactly the same conditions, and you struggle for a slack handful mate

i always start directly over the top, then move to the sides on an angle depending which way the worms are laying

and when you do lose faith, DONT launch your pump as far out to sea as you can in a rage :)

( does make the walk back easier though )

these are what ya want
16.jpg

blacks.jpeg

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
That's what you call a good days pumping.:BigGrin:
its the 3/4 mile walk back to the motor with em thats the killer mate
surprising just how heavy the buckets are

the next day, thats when you realise you aint a young pup anymore lol :)

normally aim for 2000 --2500 frozen down for the winter to see me through from oct to the end of feb

·
Registered
554 Posts
I used to aim for 400 when I went to the Mablethorpe area, I didn't manage it very often mind, although I nearly always got plenty.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I used to aim for 400 when I went to the Mablethorpe area, I didn't manage it very often mind, although I nearly always got plenty.

;) ;)

4-5 tides a year pumping and I’m
Pretty much the same
4-500 a tide on a good day n 2-300 ish if it’s a grueler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts