World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey:) im 16 years old and live in cornwall, and am starting to get into fishing. so far i have only done some lure and spinning from prussia cove and hayle.
i am looking for some advice on times, lures and places that are good for fishing, i normally only go to prussia but am open to travel to porthlevan, hayle and penzance.
i am open to try new things but i have done no fishing using baits :O so might need some pointers.
all i really know about is flounders in hayle estuary but i have no idea how to catch them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey mate similar age to you, fish south Cornwall coast. Different areas produce fish on different tides, so it's a case of seeing which areas work, although around high tide is the best bet if wanting to go bait fishing. Flounders are plentiful in the estuaries, small hooks with lug/ragworm, but there are plenty of rigs to catch them with: start out with running ledgers (you'll find plenty on that online). I know there are so many rocky areas in the west so try lure fishing from rocky parts when you get the chance (be careful:)). You'll catch pollack, wrasse, mackerel and probably a bass if you keep at it long enough. From the rocks you also can't beat float gear with a bait such as mackerel.
Wish you luck,
FF
PS if you are bait fishing match the size of the weight to the rod: if you're rod is small use small weights and vice versa.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mate similar age to you, fish south Cornwall coast. Different areas produce fish on different tides, so it's a case of seeing which areas work, although around high tide is the best bet if wanting to go bait fishing. Flounders are plentiful in the estuaries, small hooks with lug/ragworm, but there are plenty of rigs to catch them with: start out with running ledgers (you'll find plenty on that online). I know there are so many rocky areas in the west so try lure fishing from rocky parts when you get the chance (be careful:)). You'll catch pollack, wrasse, mackerel and probably a bass if you keep at it long enough. From the rocks you also can't beat float gear with a bait such as mackerel.
Wish you luck,
FF
PS if you are bait fishing match the size of the weight to the rod: if you're rod is small use small weights and vice versa.
:thumbsup:
Thanks mate very helpful:)) any specific tips for somewhere like hayle estuary?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Anywhere in the Hayle estuary is good I THINK (don't go there me self) just keep it simple and you'll soon get the hang of it. Spinning: work the area from left to right or from right to left, like a fan shape to cover the water as much as possible and hopefully hook a fish. I think it's best to start float fishing and only when that is mastered move on to ledger (bottom fishing). As said don't I don't fish the estuary but any rocks will do. With floats fish for mackerel at any depth, garfish on the top and pollack/wrasse on the bottom. Float fishing is enjoyable and will catch fish most of the time: lure fishing needs a bit of patience or plain luck ;). It is very fun however and exhilarating when you fool a fish on a bit of plastic or metal, working it at different speeds to see if a take occurs. Need to try Hayle soon just to see what's around, limited to harbours most of the time- ain't much round but tiddlers at the mo :rolleyes:
FF

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anywhere in the Hayle estuary is good I THINK (don't go there me self) just keep it simple and you'll soon get the hang of it. Spinning: work the area from left to right or from right to left, like a fan shape to cover the water as much as possible and hopefully hook a fish. I think it's best to start float fishing and only when that is mastered move on to ledger (bottom fishing). As said don't I don't fish the estuary but any rocks will do. With floats fish for mackerel at any depth, garfish on the top and pollack/wrasse on the bottom. Float fishing is enjoyable and will catch fish most of the time: lure fishing needs a bit of patience or plain luck ;). It is very fun however and exhilarating when you fool a fish on a bit of plastic or metal, working it at different speeds to see if a take occurs. Need to try Hayle soon just to see what's around, limited to harbours most of the time- ain't much round but tiddlers at the mo :rolleyes:
FF
thanks, maybe ill say when i head down and maybe we could meet up, its nice to have someone show you the basics :happy: but cheers anyways

C

·
0 Posts
There are fish to be caught in the harbour by the new ASDA. I had some pollack on float and there are plenty of wrasse and small stuff near the wall. Later there will be gilthead bream and mullet to try for.
Porthleven is a place where it's difficult not to catch have a look on my blog, link below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank
There are fish to be caught in the harbour by the new ASDA. I had some pollack on float and there are plenty of wrasse and small stuff near the wall. Later there will be gilthead bream and mullet to try for.
Porthleven is a place where it's difficult not to catch have a look on my blog, link below.
cheers mate will check that out when i get home, specific baits for fishing by asda (might go down next week) cheers:)

C

·
0 Posts
Thank

cheers mate will check that out when i get home, specific baits for fishing by asda (might go down next week) cheers:)
I use ragworm for preference but most of the species there will take bits of raw prawn ( available in ASDA ) or mackerel. Small hooks, 4 or 6 Frozen bait can be got at the tackle shop behind the petrol filling station up around the corner near the bridge over Copperhouse pool and worm baits sometimes, best to phone to check.
Hayle Terrace, Hayle TR27 4BS 07733 272524

facebook.com

I've caught well just by the steps that are just back from the sluices from Carnsew Pool.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
hey:) im 16 years old and live in cornwall, and am starting to get into fishing. so far i have only done some lure and spinning from prussia cove and hayle.
i am looking for some advice on times, lures and places that are good for fishing, i normally only go to prussia but am open to travel to porthlevan, hayle and penzance.
i am open to try new things but i have done no fishing using baits :O so might need some pointers.
all i really know about is flounders in hayle estuary but i have no idea how to catch them.
Hi, Welcome, find a local sea angling club, all the best.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Welcome to WSS!

Not from your part of the world so can't help you with specific locations.

Re flounder, they should be present in numbers on any estuary with a muddy or sandy bottom. It might be a bit early for them yet.

Most folks tend to ledger for them using lugworm and they seem to almost have a preference for frozen or older worms that are past their best.

Rigs like the wishbone or two or three hook flappers will work with something like a size 1/0 Aberdeen hook. You will see some people using different coloured beads and other "bling" on their rigs as attractors. This can help in some places but a lot get caught on plain rigs also.

The best advice I can give is find out when each mark you fish is at its best...

Some fish best on a low tide and some fish best at high tide and sometimes the size of the tidies also important. Be aware that two marks on the same estuary or on the same bit of coast can fish best at different tides so do you research either online or in your local tackle shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts