World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.
im going to ingoldmells in a week and want to do some beach casting. never done it b4 have bought a rod and reel and no i have to buy leads etc. but need set up tips. eg can i while im learning just cast on main line or do i need a tracer? any help pls. :unsure:

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
always use a shockleader, safety first. 10lb of leader for every oz of lead is the usual so a 5oz lead will require a 50lb leader. the leader needs to be about 2 1/2 times the length of the rod so you get a good 4 or more turns on the reel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i really am thick. please enlighten me on what a shock leader is ? if its to do with safety im all fo it. dont want to injure myself or someone else. i thought it was a simple process of a weight hook and bait and chuck it out. thanks for all your help.
:unsure:

G

·
0 Posts
A shockleader is a length of heavier line that is tied to the end of your main line. The "rig" - with the hooks etc - clips to the end of that.

It is there to absorb the stresses created by casting, which could snap your mainline.

G

·
0 Posts
The usual safety formula is 10lb breaking strain shockleader for each ounce of sinker weight. So a 20lb line would support 2oz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts