World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Do you remember the days of ‘level line’ tournaments.

• When did it disappear

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Did you compete

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just found this website and it brought so many memories back that I decided to join. In the 1960s and early 1970s I competed in many surfcasting tournaments around the UK. I designed the Atlantic 484 for ABU and later supplied them with a drawing/sizes for a beach fishing reel which appeared as the Ambassadeur 7000. After the ICF World championships at Scarborough under the BCA jurisdiction where I won the 4 ounce level line multiplier event and the 2 ounce level line with a new distance record I stopped competing to concentrate on my tackle shop business. I had made a lot of friends during those years. Sadly not all are with us now. I am looking forward to the site

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Peter , as I am now 64 I remember your name featuring regularly in the Angling times. You should be proud of your contribution to the sport . Wish I had an Abu 484 , the only Abu I could afford at the time was a 6' solid glass spinning rod. I still have that rod though and used it recently to land 2 nice salmon in Scotland

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Peter , as I am now 64 I remember your name featuring regularly in the Angling times. You should be proud of your contribution to the sport . Wish I had an Abu 484 , the only Abu I could afford at the time was a 6' solid glass spinning rod. I still have that rod though and used it recently to land 2 nice salmon in Scotland
Hi Bernie, It is nice to know that someone remembers me. I met lots of anglers when I appeared at different venues demonstrating the 484 and the Zoom casting techniques. I believe a lot of anglers improved their casting techniques and then enjoyed their fishing more. I finished my angling teaching Salmon fishing on various Scottish rivers, great fun but a shortage of Salmon made it difficult to get a catch for pupils on even the best rivers. Kind regards, Peter.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Welcome Peter after spending months saving i bought my first Abu reel from you when i was 13 you had your shop in Damside Lancaster in 1983 ive still got the reel and its still going strong .

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Welcome Peter , the 484 what a rod. My brother got one before me for I think £17. 50p and I just had to have one . Could not afford it for 3 weeks and when I could the shop had put the rod up by £5. Still I bit the bullet and bought the rod and it changed my fishing . Ive moved on now in rods but my brother still uses a 464 and loves it. I would like to thank you for bringing a smile to myself and my brothers face on so many occasions .:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome Peter,
Like a lot of the other posts I also have a couple of your designs I was given a 464 on my 21st birthday (41 years ago wow where did it go) and soon followed with a 7000 like myself both are still going strong.
Pete

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome Peter,
Like a lot of the other posts I also have a couple of your designs I was given a 464 on my 21st birthday (41 years ago wow where did it go) and soon followed with a 7000 like myself both are still going strong.
Pete
Hi, glad to hear the gear has served you well. I still have a couple of the original 484’s that I used for demonstrations around the country. Unfortunately I stripped the rings off them and never got round to refurbishing them. I told Peter Thain that he could have one that I put an extended the butt on for his casting collection. Regards. Peter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome Peter , the 484 what a rod. My brother got one before me for I think £17. 50p and I just had to have one . Could not afford it for 3 weeks and when I could the shop had put the rod up by £5. Still I bit the bullet and bought the rod and it changed my fishing . Ive moved on now in rods but my brother still uses a 464 and loves it. I would like to thank you for bringing a smile to myself and my brothers face on so many occasions .:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you for the welcome. Glad you liked the rods. I think the first rrp was £19.95 which was cheaper than the Moncrieff ‘Springheal’ rod. After the advertising and demonstrating it around the country it turned out to be the top selling beach caster for several years.
Nice to know about the smiles as we always tried to please. Regards, Peter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome.
I'm itching to know what the Zoom cast technique is now!
Hi Ian, If I can find the old adverts for the Atlantic 484 rod there was a description of the Zoom castings styles printed at the bottom, I will try and photograph it and add it to a post but don’t hold your breath as the scrapbook belonging to my mum might have gone.
Regards Peter.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Hi Welcome. I remember the name rung bells in the brain box!
Still have a 484 "The rod" what a step forward in tech and still is up there now and the tip is superb in the tide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome Peter after spending months saving i bought my first Abu reel from you when i was 13 you had your shop in Damside Lancaster in 1983 ive still got the reel and its still going strong .
Hi, I am glad the tackle we sold you has lasted this long. In many ways I am sorry that I do not see many of my old customers. By the way did you know that Steve, who might have served you at the time, passed away in October last, he was only 58.
Regards, Peter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Welcome. I remember the name rung bells in the brain box!
Still have a 484 "The rod" what a step forward in tech and still is up there now and the tip is superb in the tide.
Hi, pleased to hear it has served you well. I bought a ferrule from ABU and made a short butt so that I had a boat/beach caster outfit, the tip working very well for both. Regards, Peter

1 - 20 of 44 Posts