World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of short "test" sessions following recovery from a shoulder injury, it was simply fantastic to get back into some serious angling again ............ and I couldn't have wished for a better time.

Having read Topcat's recent report and wishing to avoid the usual hounding obsession for now, memory of previous years kicked-in and Newhaven came to mind as a venue for those quality rather than quantity sole. An increasingly tough target species these days but the efffort was so rewarding :)

As a concession to age, I have told myself frequently not to go fishing immediately following bait digging, so with this in mind I went and dug a pile of maddies, roped in Fishyrob and Badger2 on what could have been a wild goose chase and ...... set off straight away for newhaven and the long , long walk DOH!

All of us were eager to demonstrate the capabilities of our own pet sole rigs which added just that right amount of competitive edge and banter to proceedings. who would score first ...... would we even score??
In the end it was Badger who caught the first sole (sigh of relief from this angler!) and the "game" was afoot.

What a session though. Over the high water we had a total of 13 sole to 1lb 5oz (nearly all of them qualifying above the "slip" category) and a staggering 10 other species:- Flounder (they still follow me lol), baby thornback ray, Pout, Whiting, Pollock, Schoolie bass, Scad, Eel, Red Gurnard and .... can't remember what the other was, though doubtless I will be reminded :)

I'm sure had we stayed on to dawn we could have added mackerel and possibly red mullet to the total, but in the end it seemed best to "retire" on a high.

A brilliant session - especially for me - and I thank my most amiable of companions for thier incomparable company (and faith lol).

ITS GOOD TO BE BACK!!

Hope to add some photos later.

PS ... forgot Badger's lobster!

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Biggest of a very very enjoyable night.......

Cant wait to do it all again. As soon as the kettle is boiled and the flask made, I wont be waiting anymore..... ;)

Mk1 of my rig turns out to be identical to George's (Badger2's) rig he used to win the Eastbourne Sole open.
Steve's big fish came to a wye leaded variant, which he has used succesfuly before.
Biggest eye opener for me, was Steve's other rig, which he used a DVice to deploy. Very clever, and extremely effective. Whilst I was getting pouting'd out, Steve was getting Floundered out. Dont hear that said very often do you!!
The MKII however, is very unique, very castable, totally tange free, and extremely effective, and has not been done before, I am 99% certain of that!! Credit for that one goes to Barry, who turned the engineers technical mind onto it.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice report well done lad.s was it fishy rob.s sole rig that did the biz
All our rigs came up with the goods, though the flounders took a special liking to my wishbone variant ..... not sure if that was a bonus or not lol

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Biggest of a very very enjoyable night.......

Cant wait to do it all again. As soon as the kettle is boiled and the flask made, I wont be waiting anymore..... ;)
nice fish now shoreham west arm will be empty and the east arm at newhaven will be packed

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
nice fish now shoreham west arm will be empty and the east arm at newhaven will be packed
So we will pop along to Eastbourne and do some magic up there. IF sole used to get caught anywhere, I would like to re-visit. I noticed the Franks enjoyed some at Hove for example. You got to do some Sole searching to enjoy a lunch like what I just had...... :)

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Nice to see you back at it Steve and WOW, what a session you lot had!! Top work to you all. :clap: :clap:

Guess it will have to be Newhaven for my next 'solesearch'......to try and get amongst the bigger specimens.

Great report too Steve, nice one.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
and now people will know why i fish newhaven so much.
i wish i had stayed longer the other night,but with about 12 indians and 2 chinese on the arm i gave up at 10.00 and went home

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Great Session. Puts me in a spin as to where to fish this weekend :hammer:

Great report - nice sized sole!

Regards
Richard

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
fantastic to see you back Steve and what a great report to kick things off again:)

lets hope the shoulder thing is a permanent thing of the past:victory:

welcome back:hug:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Nice report Steve, well done on a successful comeback session.

George, you look a bit cold mate, whats it like for you in the winter :cold::ph34r:.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Welcome back, Steve, excellent report. I have still never fished the east arm at Newhaven and don't even know how to get to it! Better for that shoulder of yours to come back for sole than wrestling with the hounds further west.

Many of the sole on the west arm at Shoreham have been in the slip category around 25cm but there are one or two better ones to be had - my best this year is 34cm. Wonder whether there are any better ones to be had over on the east at Shoreham....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts