World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the beach at Newhaven last night (edge of the reef). Was hoping for some bass. Found a couple of peelers in the reef itself and used these along with squid and mackerel baits. Lots of fish action on the surface with mackerel chasing sprats, sometimes jumping clear for the water. Tried some spinners and plugs in case bass were chasing them. Did this for a while to no avail, so ended up feathering and caught 6. Managed to catch 2 pouting on peeler and squid baits were getting hammered. Used some mackerel baits as well, but these didn't even get touched. I have only ever caught garfish on mackerel and am seriously doubting it's effectiveness as a bait.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well im surprised you feel that way about using it as bait. firstly look at what a mackerel is. its top of the food chain to many species such as tope bass conger even blue sharks. we eat it its high in fish oil omega 9, so im sure if you had a tank full of species you will find the first to be eaten would be mackerel. stick a 8 inch joey in front of a 10lb bass a see if it turns its nose up.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Fished Thursday from dinghy. Good size mackeral off the east arm about 100 metres. Shoales small but coming and going in a 4-500metre area. This was 9a.m. on incoming tide. Trolled and feathered to Cuckmeer and back close in to beach and cliffs! Nothing! Did catch a seagull!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jackson, you mention the edge of the reef at Newhaven beach. I've only fished the arm, but am I right in thinking you were fishing the beach to the far right hand side of the arm?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobby, I was about 200 metres to the right of the arm near to what looks like an old slipway. Jpb68 - I don't doubt what you have to say. It all makes sense in my mind, I just sometimes wish someone would tell the fish that. the trail int he water that is thrown up when you drop mackerel in is immense so it should work wonders. I have yet to give live joeys a proper go (dabbled a bit last year but pout was more effective) althoguh would be keen to ehar any advice you may have on hooking these

1 - 5 of 5 Posts