World Sea Fishing Forums banner

NEWHAVEN REPORT - S.E. Anglers & Sea Leopard 12th July 2010

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Pedro the Fisherman 
#1 ·
Only 7 went today - left with two unfilled places. This gave us nice extra space.

It was a flat sea going out and we started on wrecks about 15 miles out and kept moving further out then east but there were few fish about. Harry had the first fish a bass of about 4lb on the first wreck but nothing else came and we moved on. The rain came down for a while.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thedeesbees found a small codling and returned it. Edisdead resorted to feathers for mackerel after tying squid instead of lures, Having taken a few he tried fresh mackerel. The fish didn't want to play even though they showed on the sounder. Crewman Moley decided to show us how it was done - and didn't catch! Neither did the skipper when he tried.

A tough day!

Thursday last week when out with Cascars GeordieSi had a fantastic day with over a dozen keepers. He put it down to using a 15ft trace!

We were at the point of trying anything as all types of sidewinders, shads, eels and worms had failed at fast and slow recovery.:thumbdown
So I added 12ft of Amnesia to my 6ft trace and put on a 6" mackerel striped Sidewinder with a red tail. A few minutes into the next drift and 29turns up at a fast wind speed and "FISH ON!" :fishing:

An 8.5lb pollack which fought all the way up often stripping line off in it's dives.

Followed by another a couple of drifts later at 40 turns up - a long way up on a 6:1 ratio reel!

This time 14lb!

#3 ·
It went quiet again and we moved onto a fairly snagfree wreck where the skipper said it might be worth hopping. So down to a 2 ft trace and an orange twintail mounted on the remains of an orange/green leadhead shad. Three cod followed before the wreck stole my rig and my luck!

Cod 1

Cod2

Cod3

Pixie, new to S.E.Anglers, had his turn and brought in a pollack and a cod

As did Billy

#4 ·
Edisdead had a small pollack earlier in the day and mackerel and nothing else. We new why when out came his banana! After many comments and an explanation it was thrown into the sea and he immediately hooked a cod! Sorry no photo.

Mid afternoon when the tide turned it was wind against tide and it became quite rough. Lines streamed away and it was difficult to find bottom.

So all in all a tough day but a few nice fish and good company. Sorry that Dave from Woking, also new to our crew, didn't get cod or pollack but he had some mackerel to take home.

#5 ·
nice report there pete...brill photos to...

do you prefer the twin tails or the sidewinders....as im thinking of getting lures that work rather than the lot ive got...do you favour white..as recent trips out with brian etc the catch rates seemes to favour white..

when im better i am going to fish more...would your crew mind me coming along..?

#8 ·
'when im better i am going to fish more...would your crew mind me coming along..?'

I suspect that will depend entirely on what you wear Andy!:roll1:
hi...lol...good job i wont be going along on my birthday then..as that suit needs a wash and iron...

i like sci fi movies.....maybe a charactor from my fav movie...star wars..!!!!

#10 ·
nice report there pete...brill photos to...

do you prefer the twin tails or the sidewinders....as im thinking of getting lures that work rather than the lot ive got...do you favour white..as recent trips out with brian etc the catch rates seemes to favour white..

when im better i am going to fish more...would your crew mind me coming along..?
Andy, the guys would love to meet you. After the first experience they might review that! We do getr some good fish and loads of tips.

My opinion only - orange/tiger striped twin tails on a lead head for cod. Cheap and they work. I prefer 4" as my 6" always hook their own tails and tangle.
White sidewinders for bass, rhub&custard for cod but do work on pollack.
Mackerel striped red tails do well.
All the other colours have their day - sometimes only one colour seems to work and the next it doesn't! There are days when only the small lures work!

#11 ·
Andy, the guys would love to meet you. After the first experience they might review that! We do getr some good fish and loads of tips.

My opinion only - orange/tiger striped twin tails on a lead head for cod. Cheap and they work. I prefer 4" as my 6" always hook their own tails and tangle.
White sidewinders for bass, rhub&custard for cod but do work on pollack.
Mackerel striped red tails do well.
All the other colours have their day - sometimes only one colour seems to work and the next it doesn't! There are days when only the small lures work!
hi....a small op bekons and then i will be on song..i will look into getting some proper colours out,, can go the pinks...
do you get to do any deep water bottom fishing..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.