World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just written a report about today, praising Frank and his boat Carrick Lee and settting out the day in gory detail, then pressed by mistake a wrong button and lost it before submitting it.

Bother.

Here is a summary.

Weather bloody in the AM with East wind. Improved in afternoon

Edgey thinks he was top rod with quantity caught 5 Pouting two Pollack biggest about 5lbs.

StephenM, breaks his duck with a first Codling about 4lbs, his only fish.

30 keepers for the day Pollack, to 5lbs, Codling to 6lbs, 1 Whiting and 1 mackerel, out of ten anglers.

Shads NBG. Moved over to jelly worms and pirks. Jelly worms most successful dark colours.

Frank as a skipper. Worked his nuts off, together with his crew Guy. Hard day's fishing but no blankers.

Book a trip with Frank and Carrick Lee. Go on you know it makes sense. You won't be disappointed.

He knows his stuff, I laughed all day long and I would like now, if he will allow an idiot like me to do so, to consider him a friend.

Terry, thanks for the telephone numbers.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice day mate and report...one thing short though........Wheres the bloody pictures?:)

Ron
StephenM has them. I forgot me bloody camera.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you think that's bad, go to the Prawn Cocktail Thread.

G

·
We want pictures! The report was a bit brief and to the point, maybe the literary skills have been genetically misplaced:unsure: :) .
Glad you had a good day out with Frank though, roll on next week for my trips, and looking forward to meeting up with you shortly
Terry

15,082 Posts
We want pictures! The report was a bit brief and to the point, maybe the literary skills have been genetically misplaced:unsure: :) .
Glad you had a good day out with Frank though, roll on next week for my trips, and looking forward to meeting up with you shortly
Terry
Then the wind will be back!........:uhuh:

Ron

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am too tired tonight to re-draft. A fuller report giving more details will be posted in the AM.

Night Night

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, honest, Edgey was the muts nuts, in spite of his disabilities...

I totally blanked in the morning, standing in complete awe of Edgey's prowess only to be shown pity by the great man who offered to swap his prime position on the boat for mine and then, humiliatingly, to witness him landing four more cracking fish in quick succession were I had been only moments before.

Not to be (totally) outdone, I copied his every move and eventually discovered the subtle but intoxicating rythm of his technique ... Only when I had discovered how to somnambulate in an upright position did I score with what was my very first Codling (ever). Edgey is as Edgey does - and even he can't explain the enormous success with which he proudly represents the angling fraternity. Maybe a few more G&Ts with breakfast would have helped.

Frank, on the other hand, knew exactly what was going on. He masterfully navigated from wreck to wreck and round again and again, hurling dog's abuse at all the blankers on board whilst simultaneously and carefully obfurscating our position on the chart so that we would be unable to divulge the true location of his marks to any less accomplished skipper... each wave signposting the way to the exact same spot time after time. I managed to lose two rigs to the same mast on successive casts. :schmoll:

In truth, we had a fantastic day. :clap2:
Great company, great weather, fantastic skipper and crew (well done Frank & Guy, you both made it special for me and I'm sure everyone onboard would agree) and about 30 fish between us.:clap2: :clap2:

However...

Edgey's success was eclipsed by that of Keith - who scored 4 Codling and at least 6 good sized Pollack - and he was fishing on the more difficult side of the boat.

I will try and upload the pics tomorrow, when I hope I will be in a lot less pain from the lack of sun block.

Carrick Lee did it for me today. Good luck next week.

StephenM

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the basis that a picture tells a thousand words and I don't have any, here is the next best thing; 760 words.

The day started out with Edgey trying to demonstrate his superior knowledge of Shad terminal tackle setting up, to impress StephenM and failing miserably. The resulting mixture of a cat’s cradle and an almighty birds-nest at the end of his rod was subject to vast amounts of ridicule by Frank the skipper. (And rightfully so Ed).

StephenM took advantage of this to take a photo, which no doubt will be submitted to the photo editor for approval, lost, and destroyed along with the camera that took it.

The brave compliment then set out for the far reaches of the middle of the English Channel in the hunt for, in the immortal words of the Skipper, those Germans, whom he said without a trace of irony, “deep down are really quite nice people.” Well he said a lot more than that, but posting rules prohibit me from giving an exact contemporaneous account.

Upon arrival at the first of the Germans, who apparently, well according to Skipper Frank, bombed Pearl Harbour, but if they did it was for Hawaii pretty cold, they started the first drift. The wind was awful, cold easterly, sea choppy and most of the compliment’s lines became tangled. Despite this an early Cod was hauled aboard. Another two further drifts produced a whiting.

“Reel in and off we go to next lot”, said Frank. Problem was Edgey being deaf in one ear, did not hear very well and sat down on the starboard side of the boat thinking we were going for gentle chug for about 1 minute. How wrong he was.

Frank opened up the throttles and away they went at about warp factor 9 into a choppy sea. Edgey by this time was a: getting soaked, b: with his back to the rest of the anglers and crew sitting in the nice sheltered cabin area, c: totally unaware that all were having great amusement at this unfortunate set of events. Trouble was for Edgey being somewhat unsteady in the undercarriage department; he did not dare to stand up, in case he fell overboard!

Luckily crew-member Guy took pity on Edgey and persuaded Frank to throttle back to warp factor 8.9 for long enough for Edgey to crawl to the shelter. StephenM just took another picture.

After then it all got rather blurred as Edgey was so busy catching, that he no time to watch what everyone else was doing, except to be able to extract a modicum of revenge against newly christened Stephen the Sailor-Buoy; this was because Stephen foolishly told Edgey that he mucks about in long white things with flappy bits on them; Anyway digression over, Edgey pointed out that at that time, about 4 hours of fishing having elapsed, Sailor-Buoy had not caught anything.

After what seemed like another three tonnes of fish had been hauled in board by Edgey, he took pity on Sailor-Buoy and offered to swap places with him.

Sailor-buoy grabbed the chance, whilst Edgey continued to haul in fish like no to-morrow at Sailor-buoy’s previous spot. Well a couple of Pollack. Sailor-buoy continued to blank.

It was then at Sailor-buoy noticed that in fact Edgey had fallen asleep leaning against the rail and was on auto-pilot winding in slowly and dropping again whilst conversing with Frank about all the salmon they had caught.

He decided that perhaps this might be a good tactic, whereas previously he would drop his bait down and wind back up again with his hand a pink blur as he cranked it up again, he began to emulate the Piscatorial expertise of Edgey.

The result was that a Cod that had been waiting patiently in the queue to munch on Edgey’s bait and was next in line to take it, was very confused when it was taken away from him and replaced by something that seemed to have adopted the tactics of a pneumatic drill powered and yo-yo effect jelly worm that came and went with such speed, he never had the slightest chance of biting it; eventually he found it stayed in front of him for a millisecond longer than he was used to. He grabbed it and hung on for dear life, which of course it was, because soon he was in the fish locker and Sailor-Buoy had finally broken his duck.

The rest of course as they say is History.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is indeed the case. But nay worries. Provided that the men in white coats have not taken me away by may, sorry couldn't help the rhyme, I promise to bring the camera next time.
H

1 - 14 of 14 Posts