World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today for a few hours, parked in Newhaven and strolled up the river at High tide to Piddinghoe. Tried fishing the river in a few spots but the current was so strong with huge eddy's swirling around... Took some 2 ounce leads but even with 2 on a flatty rig the line just got swept downstream and then into the bank really quickly (forgot to bring my breakaway leads! DOH!)
So packed up early due to a nagging partner...
Great to be out on such a Beautiful day though.
No fish but a nice drink in Rodmell.
Xxx

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good effort Seana, do you fish Piddinghoe very often? We used to fish there many years ago for bass and mullet but I've not ventured up there for a long time.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Always wondered about fishing the river, is it any good off Denton island?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Guy i work with fishes denton island quite a bit during the summer for mullet,
He's had some crackers, the biggest he's had so far was a shade under 6.5lb and says he's lost bigger fish, he's also had some good bass there as well.
All the fish been on bread flake or paste, even the bass believe it or not.

Tight lines,
Don.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks full ov potential but yesterday the river was flowing so fast, much faster than the Adur at shoreham, probably cos its much more narrow... i watched a boat struggling back up the river to Rodmell and he was going slower than walking!
i bet it flows a bit slower at Denton to the harbour mouth...
I'll try it again at lower water very soon.
I didnt see any one else fishing the river at all. Very beautiful stretch ov water. Must be absolutely gorgeous in summer.
Ill let you know how it goes.
Thanx all.
Xxx

·
Registered
467 Posts
It is a lovely river just a shame it is so rocky, very few mud flats unlike the Adur which seems to be the opposite.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes lovely stretch of river in the summer. My dad used to take my brother and I fishing there a lot when we were teenagers. Fishing for mullet mainly, there were very big shoals that would run up there, especially on really hot days. Didn't have much luck with the mullet but my dad did catch a 9lb bass whilst spinning through a shoal of mullet one day. It was a big shock to see something like that up there almost 20 years ago but the Adur throws up fish like that now so was maybe more common than we realised.

Whilst float fishing bread for mullet we also caught lots of small 6 inch bass towards high tide which kept us amused and at low tide we'd turn rocks looking for crabs and would find plenty of eels. We heard a lot of stories of big Sea Trout being caught around there and at Southease but never saw anything like that ourselves. This all brings back some nice memories, think I might have to venture that way with a rod in the summer and see what's about and whether it's changed much.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Never saw any sea trout at southease but used to get loads of mullet foraging around my wellies when digging maddies at the edge of the water.
You could almost feed them by hand, but you try and catch them on rod and line, another story !
On that point, can you still dig red rag' there? i know the water authority tried to stop it at one time fining anglers that dug there !
They said it was eroding the bankside away.

·
Banned
2,845 Posts
don't worry about the lead running round in the current . there will be many more fish in the margins than the main stream

better still, is cast upstream in the margin , keep your rod high and wind down until the lead is just holding . bites will be drop backs .
strike when the line goes slack.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx all and thanx Sealine. Ill try that.
X

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
FJM theres a deep hole behind denton island where the boats turn, the props constantly clear it and keep it deep. Drive onto the island to end of road where boat yard is it is infront of you from there.
Bit snaggy but get your gear up fast and retrieve fast usually clears most.
Eels whiting flounder bass and occasional mullet ive taken from there, i used to use it as a rough weather back up as the hope inn in one word is crap at best and now normally full of immigrants who are usually asking for a slap

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've had 6 inch bass on mepps spinners up at piddinghoe, caught right on the margins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts