World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting weeks for some decent weather and no work I finally got out today on Sea Mistress.
Fisherman333 and Timmy Butler travelled to me from Folkestone and we then met up with ray at the marina at 7am.
First stop was about 15 miles out and the gossip from the charter boats was that there was not a lot about. We were determined to prove them wrong:whistling.
I can not remember what we caught where but after fishing half a dozen different wrecks we managed about a dozen Codling to around 8lb, half a dozen Pollack to the same weight and a few Red Gurnard. There were also masses of Mackerel, some of them easily weighing a pound and a half.
Chris (Fisherman333) was not feeling too well for most of the day so us three had to do most of the catching. Timmy got a few cod with a new new PB of 4.75lb and his first red gurnard. Chris managed a few Scad, half a dozen Mackerel, 2 Pout and a couple of Gurnards.
Once again Ray showed us how it was done, with several Cod and a couple of Pollack along with more Gurnard, and I got the rest inc the biggest Pollack of the day.

Timmy's first codling of the day

One of his Gurnard

A Cod and Pollack double for Timmy and I

Conditions were not bad although not as good as I thought they would be. We had a bit of a nighmare for most of the day fighting off swarms of some kind of yellow and black striped fly which became extremely annoying as they seemed to be attracted to the white of the boat and my T shirt:bones:
We arrived back at the marina at 4pm having thoroughly enjoyed the day, well 3 of us did:yucky:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Nice one Terry, looks very nice out there from the photos and a few nice fish, can't be bad :)

Oh, Horseflies we call em' round this way, they bite as well.

AL ..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks like the sea was nice and calm and not too choppy.

Glad you all caught some decent fish, good to hear about those mackerel too.

Excellent day cascars

Will:bye1:

·
Registered
51 Posts
informative report Cascars, glad to see Ray had a better time than his last Newhaven trip:whistling, nice to see some fish in the area.i was going to take up the offer of a spare place too- only a damaged finger is making me miserable at the moment:cry: maybe next time? glad to see you had a go at "fly" fishing too!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Them flies are Hover flies, look like mini wasps but are totally harmless unless you are wearing white as they home in on it and you end up covered in them, like my mate years ago down off of Selsey. My mate got so distracted by them that he jumped over the side to escape them, fortunately it was slack water and he swam back to the boat. If it had been during the running tide, god knows where he would've ended up!!!

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
hi..looks like you all had a good day ..the weather was great..i was down on my pontoon,wishing i could have shot out on nemo..but alas no time to do so...them red gurnards are lovely...so red..
im surprised you did not find any bass..if you want the numbers to find some..just pm..

good one..great photos and im glad you got out at last...take care..andy

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
HI all, I had a great days fishing! Lost a few bits of gear but it5s the taking part that counts and i have only just finished filleting. Cant wait to get those monster mackerel on the smoker tomorrow. Sorry yu felt ill Chris, nice to meet you Tim.
Oh and yes i did do better than last week specialbrew thanks for reminding me. The cod that i caught last week tasted great. How was your Pouting???:whistling:sneaky2:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Cant wait to get those monster mackerel on the smoker tomorrow.

Nice report and glad you all had a good days fishing .Dont put too many wood chips in that smoker now,or you know what those macky fillets will end up looking like :roll1:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Good day for all ,nice one Terry,keep on finding um guv.Only a month to go for the guinness trip:drunk:
Nigel

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi
Well done for finding the fish they seem to be a bit thin on the ground or on the wrecks at least.
Those flies are a pest were everywhere the other day

Chris

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Nice one terry ,good you got out and caught

1 - 20 of 25 Posts