World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am going to have a go for conger soon down newlyn pier. What i need to know is what gear to use were abouts to go and what bait etc. thanks ......................BaSsBoY P.S i have never gone for conger before

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ok....

Fish down the main arm nearly at the end. Where the covered shed ends fish back along the wall about half way. 30-40lb main line straight through. Use 100-150lb mono trace about 2 feet long to a heavy duty swivel and tie on a rotten bottom rig. Use a 7 or 8/0 hook. I like to use whole flapper or the head and guts.

Several conger to 20lb have been caught here.

Fish the tide at night time and fish it 2 hours before low up 2 hours....thats the most productive time.

Heres one I had last year.....nearly 16lb....caught unusually during the day! caught from this exact same spot.

Newlyn.JPG

Make sure you have a big drop net ....or.....you can walk it right round the other side of the wall to the runged ladder and go down and gaff it....up to you....but you will need some help.

Much bigger congers have been hooked and lost here.....you just never know.

Let us know how you get on....and oh....thats at least a pint you owe me....:) :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
note........................ i cant buy you a pint as im not old enuf.......................will a orange juice do????? LOL thanks sorry tony but could you explain the rig abit more?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
As sharpshooter says for the rig. You can tie a knotless knot to secure a big hook to heavy mono.....
when fishing this spot you literally lob your bait out no more that 15 feet from the harbour wall.

I cast back along the wall about 20 yards. It is very snaggy so expect to lose some gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts