World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my last two outings bringing me blanks i thought i would stay local and decided to try fishing at Newport on Tay. When 10:45 to 13:30,Tide LT=11:46 HT=18:09, Bait mackie,bluey,lug,razor, Weather very light wind, sunny, water calm brown muddy. I later moved to Riverside Discovery 14:15 to 18:30.

Well as i said i thought i would go somewhere that i know i can catch fish, well what is it they say don't believe the hype lol. When i arrived there was a bit of movement in the water with waves coming onshore and a bit of a wind coming from the south west with a cold wind along with it. This died down as the tide ebbed and ended up with flat calm conditions and very little wind and warmed up. So i was using all baits fishing the way i normally do in that area with nothing at all showing, one little nod during the just over 3 hours i was there. I never even seen a crab of which there are normally quite a few. I have to admit i have never seen that place so quiet normally around the low tide i would expect to get a few flatties but not this time. I'm not sure why maybe with the lack of wave movement in water had something to do with it who knows, but i do know that Newport can normally fish well even with dead calm water. So after those few hours i thought i'm going to get nothing here and decided to move, unlike me because i would normally stick it out but i just had a bad feeling about today. So headed back to Dundee to riverside discovery.

Riverside fished 14:15 to 18:30.Same conditions as at Newport flat calm dirty brown water and very light wind....So got over the river and seen there was a guy fishing there already i have seen him around and about he is a relative newbie to sea fishing and seems to be doing well for himself. So i set up a few yards from him and started fishing he had been there for a while with nothing to show. He was fishing pretty close in so i thought i would try a bit further out see if between us we could find out where the fish were hiding. Sounds like a good idea and it is but if the fish ain't around you might as well stay at home and fish in the bath which is what it felt like we were doing. It didn't matter what baits were used all came back the same untouched. Did have a bit of a problem early on with clinging weed but this thankfully died of. The other guy had a couple of gentle knocks which came to nothing. I was hoping that i was not going to have a 3rd blank in a row. After 4 hours fishing at riverside i was reeling in and discovered i had a fish on and to my surprise it was a smelt a nice catch. I never caught any of these last year which is unusual i normally get one or two a year so i was very happy with that. So 1 fish in around 7 hours of fishing persistence pays of eh. Then around high tide i decided enough was enough so got all my gear together and wound in my first rod, i then wound in the second one to find a small flounder hanging on the bottom hook so that made 2 fish 8 hours fishing. That made me slightly happier blank definitly of. The guy fishing next to me headed of to fish along the other side of the rig at the harbour.

So catch for today Smelt 1,Flounder 1. I forgot to take pic of smelt with card to put on species list i hope i get another one rarely caught though.

My first fish a smelt.

My second a small flounder.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great stuff, glad to see you hooked a couple, too many blanks on the trott can break a man! Looks like you have put some serious effort in over the last couple of weeks.

Pete
Thanks, not one for blanking to often always manage to get something. I don't give up easy.

I've put my Cod gear away, hopefully get amongst some flatties this week.
Well hope to see you around and about Burnie. Tight lines for this week.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well done on the smelt Mike cheers the noo John
Thanks John was a bit of a surprise but a nice one.

Well done on the smelt Mike,
Cheers paddy
Thanks Paddy.

Great report mate
Thanks Gordon.

Good report and pics....well done on avoiding the dreaded blank again. You certainly deserved your fish, with your perseverance and hard work. Tight lines! Gary
Thanks Gary i wasn't looking forward to 3 in a row.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.