World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

Although I've been fishing for nearly 40 years,it's been exclusively in the East Neuk area of Fife.Just for a change I was going to try something a bit different on the Tay estuary.Does anyone know the best places on the Fife side to fish,what type of fish am I likely to catch,and what are the types of rigs that I should pack?
Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi there, i do a lot of fishing on the fife side for the seatrout/bass . I tend to use spin/fly but if you are bait fishing the most success appears to be with peeler crab or mackerel strip. There are various marks from the lucky scalp at the estuary mouth up to balmerino a few miles up the river. I have also seen cod etc caught from these marks. If you want any more info drop me a line. :)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.I think I'll try one of the harbours as my 8 year old will be coming along and if she gets a bit fed-up,(as kids do),she'll maybe be able to dangle a line down the wall and pick up something to keep her interest up.We used to get plenty of flounders at Anstruther,St Monans,Pittenweem and Elie,sometimes 50 or 60 per person,but they seem to have all but disappeared this last couple of years.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
if you want a harbour try tayport
locla shops as well m8
baits are worms , peeler , herring , mackerel
use a 2 hook flapper rig m8
go to my site and you'll see it

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,I'm going to try to get up there this week.

I recently bought a 12 foot carp rod which I've been using for spinning,might go with that one,should show up flounders quite well.What sort of distance of cast is needed?If it's a good lick I'll take my beachcaster but if the fishies are a bit wee it might not show up the bites so good.What ye think?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
even the small flounders when eeply hook will be noticable on a beachcaster.
hoping to get out at weekend.
distance wise you try you'll be suprised at what distance you can catch them at

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried a couple of places yesterday on the Fife side of the Tay.

Went to tayport harbour first and tried for only an hour or so with out one bite.Plenty of tiny 4" coleys down the side of the harbour wall,but out a bit,nowt.
Fierce wind though but,so we moved up to Wormit between the bridges.

Fished there for about 3 hours with one bite.Tried from 10 yards out to 150 yards plus.Could have filled a bucket with the amount of crabs we got.

Tried mackerel,lug,rag,crab,all equally useless.

Am I missing something?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts