World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am visiting Newquay in a few weeks time and was hoping to get some fishing in whilst there. Any suggestions on where I should fish and what could I expect to catch there this time of year?

Any info would be great.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
all the usual suspects mate, huss macky dogs bass etc off the rocks, bass flats etc of the beaches and tope on the boats along with all the usual sandbank fish ie bass rays etc. hope that helps pal

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
are people down there still making millions on the welks?, a few years ago it was mad, with continental trucks and tons of welks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hello all i am going to newquay-westwales next month hope to go for the bass on lures any advice on any?? what pound line would be best,i normally use around 15lb would that cast lures well or should i lower the poundage thanks all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use 15 and 20lb braid for all my spinning, you can use a fluorocarbon trace if you like. The results with braid are such that I wouldn't consider using mono for spinning ever again. Costs a fair bit more but doesn't deteriorate, I have had the same braid on one reel for about 8 years and it is still good.
Spinning around the fish factory is a good option but the fish can be preoccupied with the waste form the factory.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I use 15 and 20lb braid for all my spinning, you can use a fluorocarbon trace if you like. The results with braid are such that I wouldn't consider using mono for spinning ever again. Costs a fair bit more but doesn't deteriorate, I have had the same braid on one reel for about 8 years and it is still good.
Spinning around the fish factory is a good option but the fish can be preoccupied with the waste form the factory.
Hi m8,
Got to laugh,
Here you are saying braid is the best thing since sliced bread for spinning, so much so that you would'nt ever change back to mono,
Yet looking at your impresive looking species list for 2010,
I FAIL TO SEE A BASS ON THERE :roll1:

I TAKE IT YOU JUST FORGOT TO AD IT ON !,LOL

TIGHTLINES C.T.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i went to newquay last summer just for a short break but didn't take any fishing gear, if you walk right from the caravan park as you are looking out to sea there is a small stream running into the sea looked fishy possible area for bass, but as i said i never took my gear, but will be visiting there again ths year and will be taking a rod or 2 this time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i went to newquay last summer just for a short break but didn't take any fishing gear, if you walk right from the caravan park as you are looking out to sea there is a small stream running into the sea looked fishy possible area for bass, but as i said i never took my gear, but will be visiting there again ths year and will be taking a rod or 2 this time.

i used to live there in the summer and spoke to the local hermit who lived in a cave lol he used to net that stream to earn a few quid as he dident have any other way to feed him and cloth himself and yes it does contain bass and flattties it fills up some on a high tide there is a reef just offshore within casting range there as well which is supposed to be good fishing i have allways stuck to the quey wall its self if its possible to fish a tide with high just after dusk the fishing should be good and have had as many as 6 species in a session in the summer ! and have seen some good conger come from the rocks around the edges you will se a small box about three quarters up the quey it makes a great fishing platform and a nice seat with clean ground in front a cast of 30 meters will put you on clean sand i have allways found fish baits to work better there hope this helps enjoy your trip :bye1:

·
Registered
39 Posts
spoke to few people down sker today they all said drop down to 10lb so i will do that instead of using braid thanks all. thanks i will have a good look around down there!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi m8,
Got to laugh,
Here you are saying braid is the best thing since sliced bread for spinning, so much so that you would'nt ever change back to mono,
Yet looking at your impresive looking species list for 2010,
I FAIL TO SEE A BASS ON THERE :roll1:

I TAKE IT YOU JUST FORGOT TO AD IT ON !,LOL

TIGHTLINES C.T.
Quite correct, no bass last year, didn't try for them, did have 32 sea trout out of the river aeron on rapalas though.
I also use braid for all my feathering form the shore.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Quite correct, no bass last year, didn't try for them, did have 32 sea trout out of the river aeron on rapalas though.
I also use braid for all my feathering form the shore.
Nice fishing there m8,
Thought you had just forgot to ad it on,
Am surprise you had'nt nipped behind the fish factory for one, to add to the list !,

tightlines C.T.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Was going to but was on a bit of a species hunt last year. Aiming to get 100 species - coarse sea and game. I'm up to about 70, lots of easy ones left to get, but glad of the tadpole fish and clingfish last year, do you know where I could target a trigger fish and sole? these are among the targets for this year.
Cheers Jon

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
anyone would have to be desperate to catch a fish to put up with the stench from that factory....

easiest place to catch a trigger, and loads of other species, Hobbs Point

·
Registered
883 Posts
Was going to but was on a bit of a species hunt last year. Aiming to get 100 species - coarse sea and game. I'm up to about 70, lots of easy ones left to get, but glad of the tadpole fish and clingfish last year, do you know where I could target a trigger fish and sole? these are among the targets for this year.
Cheers Jon
Hi m8,
There's a good mark at ST BRIDES ,On the road to DALE, PEMBS.
( Called the high ledge) Best fished mid july with squid baits,

TIGHTLINES C.T.

·
Registered
169 Posts
great advice all, thanks for that, I hope to post a pic of my first trigger later this year.
all the best Jon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts